Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Palin Email Hack Was "Easy"

Yes she "should" be able to disclose her email account without a fear, but thats what she gets for using a publicly accessible website for her mail. The government has their own email servers for a reason.

Some Assembly Required ShagDevil's Avatar
    but thats what she gets for using a publicly accessible website for her mail
    I don't think anyone deserves to have their email hacked regardless of what it's used for. She put faith in a flawed system. As they say, hindsight is always 20/20.

The government has their own email servers for a reason
    So, whose really to blame that government can't conduct low security business on public email servers? As far as I'm concerned, people are sh*tting down Palin's throat with no regard for the real issue at hand.
    The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his - George Patton

Well I guess it "isnt her fault" because it should be considered a safe email provider to use.

Then again it is her fault because as far as the law is concerned "I didn't know," is not a valid excuse. And she did know that using public email services for confidential business is against policy.

I think it is like one of those things though (such as what happened with hurricane Katrina) they are spending too much time worrying about "who's fault it is" and not enough time on fixing the damage/preventing it from happening again.

And she did know that using public email services for confidential business is against policy
    If she did know, then I agree. Which would put her partially at fault.

they are spending too much time worrying about "who's fault it is" and not enough time on fixing the damage/preventing it from happening again
    That's what I'm thinking as well. Now what about Yahoo running a story about an old hack? I'm still convinced this dopey kid read that article & thought it would be fun to mess with Palin's email. In my opinion, the cons far outweighed the pros of running that article.
    The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his - George Patton

Well like many hacker groups, they will often alert a website owner of a flaw before hacking it "because they are ethical" and "trying to help."

But...I dont feel as bad for palin, as I do for the kid who executed the attack. He was insanely stuipid to do something like that on a server of a company that is so big. Not to mention his attack effected some one who was against some one in the government. It was a TERRIBLE idea on his part and a cgi proxy isnt going to save him, only delay the process.

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    I only read the first page, however in order to reset your password dont you get your "password" to another email account. I know it would be stupid trying to reset your password by them sending out a confirmation email to reset it if you cant get into your account.

However if the feature works like I think it does. Click forgot password > Security question > reset, that is kind of fail and anyone with anything between their heads could do that.

However I presume it is a free account so ...

EDIT: And what the hell is a prominent politician using Yahoo for ...
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

He was insanely stuipid
    Yep. Does that kind of stupidity even qualify as skiddie?

a cgi proxy isnt going to save him, only delay the process
    Yep again. I have used the very same proxy this dope used, except I actually read the privacy policy. This kid probably thought because it uses HTTPS, he was set. Had he read the privacy policy, he would have known the owner keeps logs for 7 days and those logs would be surrendered to authorities if illegal actions were taken using his proxy services.

And what the hell is a prominent politician using Yahoo for
    Maybe she wasn't so prominent when she opened the account? In any event, I still don't place sole blame (or even a majority of it) on Palin for this attack. What she did was naive but, there are some major flaws with the "Forgot My Password" service that need to be addressed pronto.

there are some major flaws with the "Forgot My Password" service that need to be addressed pronto.
    Not really flaws in the service IMO. This sort of thing has been going on for years.

The real flaw is in the users not realising that if they answer the questions truthfully then other people will also know the answers.

Just lie.................. it works every time

AOs Resident Troll
    Just lie.................. it works every time
    the hard part about lieing is remembering the lies......

although keeping the lies consistant may help

kinda like politicans do

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Quote Originally Posted by morganlefay View Post
    although keeping the lies consistant may help

kinda like politicans do
    I dont know they seem to be pretty bad at it :-P