Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Internet Connection Sharing Problem

Thumbs down Internet Connection Sharing Problem

Hi all,

I have two machinesa desktop running WIndows XP (SP2) and a laptop running Windows Vista (home Premium - sp1) along with openSUSE 11.0

I have enabled the internet connection sharing on the Windows XP machine (desktop) to which the USB cable for my modem is connected. I have assigned the following settings to desktop:

IP = 192.168.0.1
    mask = 255.255.255.0
    gateway = 192.168.0.0

On the laptop, both Vista and SUSE are configured to get the IP (on the ethernet interface) via DHCP.

The problem is that I am unable to share the internet connection on the system. I have tried all the combinations of the settings but it still does not work! It did not work even when the firewalls on both machies were either inactive or absent! Can someone tell me what to do now?
    "Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."

- Albert Einstein

AOs Resident Troll
    You cant use the 192.168.0.0 address...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306126

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

AOs Resident Troll
    Cant edit so I will post again

personally I would buy a router and share the internet that way

easy peasy

MLF

Quote Originally Posted by morganlefay
    Cant edit so I will post again

personally I would buy a router and share the internet that way

easy peasy

MLF
    I agree. Routers are not that expensive, and will make it a breeze to hook up multiple computers on one connection.
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

AOs Resident Troll
    and sorry I meant to say you cant use that address because it is a reserved address

I agree. Routers are not that expensive, and will make it a breeze to hook up multiple computers on one connection.
    Specially if they are different OSes

MLF

Quote Originally Posted by jockey0109
    Hi all,

I have two machinesa desktop running WIndows XP (SP2) and a laptop running Windows Vista (home Premium - sp1) along with openSUSE 11.0

I have enabled the internet connection sharing on the Windows XP machine (desktop) to which the USB cable for my modem is connected. I have assigned the following settings to desktop:

IP = 192.168.0.1
    mask = 255.255.255.0
    gateway = 192.168.0.0

On the laptop, both Vista and SUSE are configured to get the IP (on the ethernet interface) via DHCP.

The problem is that I am unable to share the internet connection on the system. I have tried all the combinations of the settings but it still does not work! It did not work even when the firewalls on both machies were either inactive or absent! Can someone tell me what to do now?
    MLF had most of the story there for you.. a router or a switch could be a easy way.. but it depends on your connection..

Here is the trick to ICS.. (easy Point and click way)

Run the Network wizard on the Gateway PC..

but manually the Gateway PC should be set to similar to the above except for the gateway address.. it should be the IP the First WAN device.. that can be.. your DSL modem, Sat Modem, ISP's dialup gateway.. that's why I find the wizard easy

I always found ICS to be very flaky at best, especially on the DHCP dept. XP PC's tend to argue over who's the Boss..( Bet now Vista would argue in a similar manner) and some local network services would fail (printer and file sharing even the internet connection can fail)

So really depending on your WAN access method ..
    if it is via a Ethernet connectible device get a router/switch
    if it is Dialup.. get an old PC (read cheap box-someones throw out PC) install one of Smoothwall, IPCOP or Clarkconnect (community edition) router OS.. oh and you will still need a switch (cheaper than a router)
    If your connection is via some USB device.. you will need to do some research .. the above mentioned setup (OLD PC) will work with many devices .. provided your confident enough to play with *Nix and fiddle with device drivers... but some won't..

So what is your internet connection method?
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Like already mentioned, i would go with the Router.

It will save you a bit of time messing around with different settings.

There cheap as chips, and will come in handy especially if you want to add more machines to the network in the future.

just plug it into the Router and no fussing around with the settings.

Disgruntled Postal Worker fourdc's Avatar
    You could also run a proxy.

AnalogX has a program called proxy, its free and it works better than Msofts ICS.
    ddddc

"Somehow saying I told you so just doesn't cover it" Will Smith in I, Robot

Quote Originally Posted by fourdc
    You could also run a proxy.

AnalogX has a program called proxy, its free and it works better than Msofts ICS.
    OK I am ready to install that thing. But are you sure that this will work?And is it too difficult to configure?

And yes, I am using an internet connection on a modem that is USB modem. So anyway, to allow a router to share the connection among other computers, I will have to keep the computer powered on and theinternet sharing working!
    Last edited by jockey0109; September 26th, 2008 at 10:59 AM.
    "Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."

- Albert Einstein

Just Another Geek
    Quote Originally Posted by jockey0109
    So anyway, to allow a router to share the connection among other computers, I will have to keep the computer powered on and theinternet sharing working!
    No, you don't. You'll only have to leave the router on.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.