Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: problems after running chkdsk

problems after running chkdsk

Hi there,

I am having major problems here. I was defraging the c drive and a message came up "run chkdsk first. So I did, and checked only first box.

it then asked to reboot and did it's thing on reboot.

now, it has wiped all network connections, I cannot drag and drop, and I cannot paste anything.

I cannot run ad aware or any other antispyware programs.

What has happened to my computer?

any help would be really appreciated here

Jonny F
    Sarcasm is a way of life

AOs Resident Troll
    wow...I have never had that happen

I always use it with the /r switch (repair)

Maybe start again with the repair switch???

Start>run> chkdsk C: /r

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

wow...I have never had that happen

I always use it with the /r switch (repair)
    I have had similar experiences, albeit not the exact same symptoms. Like MLF I always run the repair option on the grounds that I want to know if there is something wrong with the HDD.

Jonny, I would recommend that you assume that the HDD is about to fail. So:

1. Back up all your important files.
    2. Run chkdsk with the repair option checked, as MLF suggests.
    3. Go to the HDD manufacturer's site and get their diagnostic tool. Do a full scan (deep scan). This is a second opinion, as it won't care if chkdsk has already marked sectors as bad

Otherwise, I use Western Digital's Data Lifeguard Diagnostics, which will work with any EIDE drive. You can get it here:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Western_Di...ols_d2855.html

Create a bootable CD/Floppy (and remember to go into BIOS setup and change your boot sequence if you need to)

//of topic

Talk about weird, deja vu or whatever? This is the first post with this problem so far this year and I just happen to be looking at a 3.5" floppy with this tool on it as I am typing this! I must be on a roll............. buy a ticket for tonight's lottery?

//

To get back to your question Jonny,

What has happened to my computer?
    Well, every now and then Winders will get its knickers (y-fronts?) in a twist. The very fact that the chkdsk/scandsk utility exists tells us that.

Possibilities include:

1. Failing HDD
    2. Failing RAM
    3. Failing PSU
    4. Failing MoBo
    5. Power supply fluctuations
    6. EMF/EMP
    7. Vibration
    8. Inadequate ventilation
    9. Hitting the damn thing with an FBS
    10. Not shutting down properly

Basically, anything that will cause traumatic or chronic data corruption.

Sorry to have to say this Jonny, but you are describing fundamental problems with the OS. Files that are not "written back" after use............. that suggests hardware damage rather than data corruption to me.

Please keep us informed as to your progress, and PM me if you want telephone support

Johnno

Keeping The Balance CybertecOne's Avatar
    IMO, if you have determined the harddrive is going to fail, your best bet is to NOT run chkdsk. You have already decided the hdd is dead, and you need to replace it.

Running such an intense program, in terms of hdd performance and usage - Is a surefire way of killing the drive. Running chkdsk is only good if you are trying to solve a problem, but since the drive needs replacing, there is little point.

If there is data you want to recover, then recover it. Plug it into another computer with a stable OS and copy what you can from it. Hopefully you will get everything

At this stage, the hdd is trash and you may want to consider wiping the drive -
    http://antionline.com/showthread.php?t=266962

In cases where the bearings have started to loosen and similar issues, i have wrapped up the hdd and whacked it in the freezer for half an hour, then pulled it out and started copying the data across - While its cold it works beautifully.
    [DANGER] Please consider condensation effects when cooling hardware [DANGER]

Let us know what you plan to do and how you go

CTO
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    - Albert Einstein

Yes, running chkdsk on a drive that has physical problems will only make things worse.

You recover what data you can, then run a manufacturer's diagnostics test. It all depends what the original cause of the problem was................ you might get lucky but mostly you will probably not

If the manufacturer's diagnostic shows no problems then you could try a reformat. Personally I would use something like dban to wipe the drive first.

Most likely... When I have encountered that sort of issue .. the Drive was formatted under FAT32..

it may not be a hardware issue -but it is a good idea to check - SMART analysers are handy for this..

the issue was probably a bad shutdown since the last defrag..

and agree with other comments chkdsk is not so friendly to user data..

I won't add my regular programs.. the list of test progs given is sound..

My feeling from the limited information... is certainly backup your data.. - use a WIn PE based live CD (Winbuilder et al) if your only comfortable with Windows.. to back up your data..
    Do a clean install of windows.. BE SURE TO FORMAT THE HDD UNDER NTFS.. restore your programs.. then your data..
    You may be able to get away with a repair install.. but the long term issues are not worth the little extra time in the clean install..

If there is information that you have not provided that may indicate a drive failure.. like recent new/unusual grinding and clanging noises.. then replace the HDD by all means..
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Keeping The Balance CybertecOne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Und3ertak3r
    Do a clean install of windows.. BE SURE TO FORMAT THE HDD UNDER NTFS.. restore your programs.. then your data..
    I am just curious as to what makes you believe the file system has anything to do with the issues described?

I am aware of performance issues on small (<4GB) drives and the file system was responsible (FAT32 on small drive = bad) - But i have not heard of a file system causing issues like this, simply due to the type of file system.

Sure, if a file system became corrupt, then all sorts of weird problems would occur, but a corrupt file system is a common problem across FAT/FAT32/NTFS/ext3 whichever.....

I was just curious as to why you would believe that "FAT32" & "NTFS" are the cause of the problem specifically Just trying to learn in case it is something i dont know!

CTO
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    - Albert Einstein

Hi CTO,

Can't say I have heard of anything specifically file system related to cause this problem either. I would say that NTFS is generally considered to be more stable and reliable than FAT 32, so such problems are less likely (unless it is a hardware issue).

Also if you run Win 2000 or later you won't have the 4Gb filesize and 32Gb partition limit that you get with FAT 32.

Quote Originally Posted by CybertecOne View Post
    I am just curious as to what makes you believe the file system has anything to do with the issues described?

I am aware of performance issues on small (<4GB) drives and the file system was responsible (FAT32 on small drive = bad) - But i have not heard of a file system causing issues like this, simply due to the type of file system.

Sure, if a file system became corrupt, then all sorts of weird problems would occur, but a corrupt file system is a common problem across FAT/FAT32/NTFS/ext3 whichever.....

I was just curious as to why you would believe that "FAT32" & "NTFS" are the cause of the problem specifically Just trying to learn in case it is something i dont know!

CTO
    What makes me say this?

I see it every week.. on domestic PC's.. Or more.. used to see it.. Acer was selling a ton of cheap desktops in this area.. always with FAT32 file system.. and what I read here is a text book example.. IF it is not a hardware failure.. AND it was a simple problem due to Filesystem Database error as the result of a bad shutdown.. AND CHKDSK was let loose.. yes system files WILL be damaged..
    AND FAT32 is many times more likely to suffer damage.. and more likely to have CHKDSK remove vital system files...

And please note it is not the File system that causes the Issue.. I certainly am not saying that FAT & NTFS are the fault... rather the type of filesystem increases the vulnerability to this type of problem. The journaling filesystem like NTFS is a lot more rugged than FAT/12/16/32.. There are better out there.. unfortunately, not easily available on many of the MS platforms.

I offer my view, as far too often I see people look at a problem from a single perspective. And while that perspective can offer the correct solution to a users problem, it can and does preclude other users from the solution to similar problems.

Having been involved repairing electronics, and now PC's, for a few years. Fault finding procedure is a skill that I see as surely lacking in the IT field, a number of "Tech's" dive in and offer/proceed on solutions, sometime with the most scant of information.. You do not attempt to remove a virus from a pc without some information about the infection would you?
    Last edited by Und3ertak3r; October 20th, 2008 at 02:23 PM.
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

AOs Resident Troll
    I have been working with computers for several years and have never seen chkdsk fluck up a system...or drive unless it was ready to fail...usually there are other issues present.

I have seen corrupted installs where chkdsk couldnt fix it...and I have seen drives with bad sectors where chkdsk moved the files and marked the area not for use.....and the system has hummed away for years after.

as always as backup of any system should be performed before running any disc or recovery utilities.

What was the reason for running chkdsk in the first place??

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer