Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: USB stop during xp install

USB stop during xp install

Im tring to install windows xp on a PC with a blank hardrive. Everything is fine up to the moment it says 34 minutes remaining. All the USB's stop working? My keyboard and mouse stop so i can't finish the install. The mouse pointer just disapears right of the screen.
    I've checked the bios and all the usb ports are on.
    Keyboard and mouse work perfectly from boot up to the 34 min. mark.
    This pc dosent have the old PS2 mouse/keyborad ports.
    Anybody got any ideas?

When the setup 1st starts it should give you an option to install drivers prior to the installation.

If the usb keyboard and mouse came with a driver disc then use that.

Hi Project2501,

A few ideas based on many years with different hardware and software:

1. No PS/2, but is/are there those beautiful little nine-pin ports? I have some serial UIDs for this sort of problem.
    2. Look for a serial/parallel port (assuming that you have the old pinned printer connector) converter.
    3. Try the devices in different USB ports, and make sure they are firmly plugged in............ I don't like the sloppy fit of a lot of USB connections
    4. Even try a USB extender........... might improve the connection?
    5. I have had the problem quite a few times, but not that far into an installation............. that's a new one on me so I am very interested.
    6. Can you borrow a wireless connection and the UIDs?
    7. Try installing on another box. Sure, XP will complain like hell about the hardware changes, but that can be fixed............ I have had that one work a few times You just load the HDD wsith the OS, and install it in the target box.
    8. Is this a new machine? it doesn't sound like it, so is the power supply playing nice? (another reason to try a battery powered device).
    9. Take HDD for target machine and slave it to a working machine. Then just copy the installation CD onto the target machine's HDD, install it and run setup.

Incidentally, do you get any error messages or symptoms (blue/black screen)?

Nice idea teabags, but XP should load all you need in the form of generic drivers? also, who stop so far into the installation.............. if it were going to, it should crap out at the first fence?

This looks like an interesting one ?

AOs Resident Troll
    Is the disk XP with any SP...you may want to look at making an install disc with at least SP2 incorporated as I think it would solve alot of hardware issues.

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

MLF has a point.. Some hardware with a Pre SP1 XP install "can" have issues..

It may help knowing approx where the installer is up to.. as in what stage is it announcing at that time of the failure.. see for some of the machines I play with.. the install is done before 30mins have passed.. so it sounds like the issue is very early in the install..
    you say the USB fails.. does the light go out in the mouse? or is it just that the pointer has vanished.. and you have no response from the keyboard..(like most of the time on install the CTL-ALT-DEL is about all the kbd is good for..

Your problem could be as one of the device drivers is starting.. this could cause your issue: ie a device driver..

My thought is if it is so early in the install.. could it be a fault in the HDD.. the format may appear to go well.. but you may still have a funny sector.. causing a lock-up during the decompression/write phase..
    It is a clean install your doing..?
    Try deleting the partitions then format on your next attempt.. and be sure to format under NTFS.. unless you have a specific reason to install under FAT32

more a guess than anything..
    Last edited by Und3ertak3r; October 20th, 2008 at 02:55 PM.
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Just Another Geek
    Try turning on "USB legacy" (or something named along those lines) in the BIOS.
    It turns on "legacy" keyboard support, needed for some USB keyboards to work when there's no USB support loaded..
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

FFS.. just had a XP Home SP3 install go excrement end up... will it didn't kill the usb.. it did freeze like water at the north pole.. changed the RAM ... problem solved ..

SD.. wouldn't that issue prevent the use of the keyboard earlier in the install? been a while since I had a MoBo that didn't have USB enabled off the bat..
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Just Another Geek
    Not sure.. I've seen some strange effects.. Working in the BIOS.. Not working when windows boots but working when it's done...

Or not working in the BIOS, working during boot and not when it's done.. Never really understood it..
    Maybe some keyboards have "backwards" compatibility build in that mucks about with the BIOS..

Can't hurt to play little with that setting to see what happens
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Thanks for all the help.
    Im at work so i will try all your ideas when i get home tonight. In the meantime just keep them coming
    To answer the questions i can from work.
    -Ive tried all the usb ports, works fine at first then mouse light never turns on after 34 min. mark
    -i dont get any error messages
    -the mouse and keyboard (numlock) light go out at the 34 min, mark, and the mouse pointer disapears from the screen, if i switch usb port i still get no power
    -they stop working just before the installations first setup window appears asking for name and organisation (that window appears when the timer shows 33 min. left)
    - i deleted all partitions before starting, formated ntfs.
    -After the usb stop working i tried again, deleted all partitions formated again. same problem