Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Firefox 3.0.4 update released

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    Meh, Im using Opera now so I might join the ff bashers ...
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Curious thing I had recently. Without fail, FF has been inconsistent about saving cookies. So I did a search and found that renaming/removing the cookies.sqlite file might help. Well, lo and behold, it also bumped down the memory usage. Rather interesting result.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

That's been bugging me too, on the few occasions I've used it. I checked "apply my decision to all cookies from this site" but it continues to prompt over and over.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JPnyc View Post
    That's been bugging me too, on the few occasions I've used it. I checked "apply my decision to all cookies from this site" but it continues to prompt over and over.
    From the research I did, the fix above will address that. While a simple fix, they really need to address this in the long run.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Thanks MM. I hate Fx's cookie handling to begin with. Should be a way to block all 3rd party cookies with one click.

Quote Originally Posted by t34b4g5 View Post
    I hate having a heap of browser windows open so tabbed browsing is a must have for me.
    And as far as pr0n site's go i have 4 monitors hooked up so i have browser on main, and pron streaming on 1 and other stuff on the other 2.
    i usually forget about the browser and get occupied watching pr0n
    shouldn't matter just make sure that each tab has some flash ads some graphics and it should slowly start leaking memory and when you go to use the browser after a few hours it usually starts to get a little hectik
    I recently noticed the severity of the memory leaks recently at work. Because of what I do at work, I alway have 2 browser windows open and 4-6 tabs on each. If i leave them open over 48 hours it will go from 120~ to 220+

Last weekend a machine was accidently left on over the weekend, ff had a few tabs open, youtube, facebook, etc etc

Anyhow it took a bit to get the browser to open back up, and it took a little time to get each page to react to a refresh.

this was on a quad core machine, with 2Gb ram so it wasn't on a old pen2 or something..

Banned
    I've never even seen IE waste that much memory.

Quote Originally Posted by The-Spec View Post
    I've never even seen IE waste that much memory.
    I would have to agree. I am using FF right now, it has been sitting for a couple of days with 5-7 tabs open at any given time... using about 220MB right now. I think I may switch to Opera, or maybe try Chrome. I had read that Chrome's EULA was a little dodgy shortly after it came out. Anyone have an opinion on that? I know Google doesn't have the best privacy practices...
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

I haven't tried chrome, but Opera is a fine browser. I actually use Maxthon 1.6.5 with Internet Explorer eight. I've had it open for two days and I'm using about 12 MB with 30 tabs open. However it does frequently free up memory by swapping to virtual memory, so that gets rather high after it's open a long long time.