Thread: I need to vent

I need to vent

At my job, one of my duties is to talk to other coworkers, either by email, phone, or in person, which is expected. Most jobs you have to talk to coworkers, so this shouldn’t be a surprise. Most of the time I'm helping them out, but sometimes I'm the one needing help or information. I understand that people are busy so you leave a voice message or send an email, and you would think that the person would respond back, right? Well in my case it seems like every time I leave a voice mail or send an email it just gets ignored. Now I don’t expect a response immediately, but at least something within a couple days. You could say that they just forgot, I guess but that doesn’t seem likely.

Last week I sent an email to maybe 10 people, I heard back from 3 maybe 4. I talk to a few, and left a message with the rest. I guarantee come middle of next week I still wouldn’t have heard from them. Oh and I have been trying to get a hold of someone for a few weeks, I have left him like 4 voice mail messages. Have I heard from him, of course not. Most of these people are managers/directors, not mine. Well I have actually tried getting a hold of my manger a few times and of course I was ignored. This happens to me all of the time.

So in order to get information, it seems that you can’t use a phone or email; you have to confront the person, at least at my place of employment. So if people are not going to use these tools, why have them?

I don’t know, maybe it is me. Maybe I’m saying something I shouldn’t, maybe it is because I don’t work for them directly, or because I’m just a little peon. Maybe people are not as helpful as I though, granted I probably have done it. I’m probably overreacting, but it drives me crazy.

What's the nature of the content of the emails/voicemails? Why do you have to contact these people?

Try a subject line of something like Your gonads = CRUSHED (unless you respond). Kthxbai!

That's the sort of subject line highly likely to get their attention.

lol

I work on a help desk so usually it is dealing with some of their employees, other times it is a question about something. This past time i had to gather information about some hardware.

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    Hi Keith,

I am also involved in a helpdesk. Basically what I do is CC the next person up. When I have to deal with our headoffice in Spain, these people are a nightmare, never respond blah blah.

All I do is CC their manager and that is it, I get my answer in 20 mins.

Try it
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

And if that doesn't work, threaten various body parts they are likely to consider valuable. ;-)

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    You could also add in the subject line "YOUR BONUS HAS BEEN REVOKED (see inside)"...financial stuff is always looked at, hehe. I sympathize with you as I've been through a lot of that (as we all have). Being in the unix department and only having one coworker, getting anyone to listen to us is almost impossible with the exception of when the BIG servers go down. I gave up when trying to contact anyone about outages right before holidays. Bleh...
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.