Thread: Patch management tools

Patch management tools

I'm looking for a new patch management solution for my corporate environment and was wondering if anyone had some suggestions on what is good.

We currently use Shavlik NetChk and dont really like it. It locks up all of the time and it wont push any service packs for some reason. I'm not sure if the latest version fixes these, just would like to try something else.

We have about 2000 computers to manage and they are all Windows. I would like to find something that doesnt require a client to be installed.

Thanks in advance

AOs Resident Troll
    WSUS

Microsoft Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) enables information technology administrators to deploy the latest Microsoft product updates to computers running the Windows operating system. By using WSUS, administrators can fully manage the distribution of updates that are released through Microsoft Update to computers in their network.
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/wsus/default.aspx

Free too

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Some Assembly Required ShagDevil's Avatar
    I'll second WSUS. I've been using it for a couple years with few problems. It really helps organize the patching process as well as enforcing compliance. You may want to brush up on your Group Policy editing as well because a few settings need to be adjusted to force clients to play nice with the WSUS server.
    The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his - George Patton

As far as i know WSUS doesnt have any good reporting features (which is something that management wants).

Thanks for the suggestions though

Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    As far as i know WSUS doesnt have any good reporting features (which is something that management wants).

Thanks for the suggestions though
    I'll say this as I attempt to not sound like a corporate schill

If reporting is where the focus is, then perhaps you want WSUS coupled with either vulnerability management or compliance management software?

On top of getting the extensive reporting capabilities, you get third party confirmation that your patch management software is working properly.

Some Assembly Required ShagDevil's Avatar
    I'm actually a bit surprised by this. WSUS is free of charge & you would think your management would love that. On top of that, this program pretty much runs itself. You setup the initial parameters and off it goes.

I'm with HTRegz on this one. If you need in-depth reporting on top of WSUS, so be it. But mention that 4-letter word (free) and you should be able to get management's attention.
    The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his - George Patton