Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ports 1029&1030 open

ok ive never tried the new norton security suite, but for some reason the words norton, light weight, and user friendly all in the same sentence dont seem to wanna register. has norton really stepped up their game??

I don't know why or how I trapped myself into thinking that I had to shop around for security software, when a perfectly good solution was mine for the taking all along.
    there is actually alot of good free security software out there. most even compare to ones that cost good money.

Quote Originally Posted by chaosclown View Post
    ok ive never tried the new norton security suite, but for some reason the words norton, light weight, and user friendly all in the same sentence dont seem to wanna register. has norton really stepped up their game??
    It really did work very well. Maybe a bit over the top with the "Norton Insight" tool that's included. LiveUpdate has always been a pain in the ass, but the update times and frequencies are customizable (you can turn off the minute by minute update engine if you wish, and spread the full update check out to a 12? hour differential). Real-time AV scanning didn't bog anything down, although the firewall did seem a bit laggy. On the other hand, I don't usually use specialized rules or exceptions, so that could be an issue for some users...I don't know. The user-friendly issue is totally subjective and varies from user to user, of course.

I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'...it seems like a decent product for the average joe user (me). I've used some horseshit products in the past, so I do kind of have a frame of reference.

But in the end, my ISP provides a very acceptable solution powered by a very acceptable company and I don't have to spend the extra $ to shop around myself. I wonder what Comcast, Qwest, and the other ISPs offer as far as ISS packages with their services...did I just get lucky, or do I just think I'm getting lucky with the F-Secure software?

O
    Last edited by Ouroboros; December 16th, 2008 at 05:02 AM.
    "entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem"

"entities should not be multiplied beyond necessity."

-Occam's Razor

Actually, Comcast offers :cough:Mcafee:cough: