Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Write Protected Disk

Dear nihil,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, the option of CD Burning appears on the properties tab of CD Drive as suggested in the microsoft website give.

My desktop pc used to copy files while I dragged and dropped earlier. Just after which a pop-up used to appear in the bottom right corner saying you've files waiting to be written on disk.

Also apart from drag and drop, I've also tried using Ahead Nero and Ashampoo softwares but they don't burn anything on the disk. I also did tried copying and pasting too apart from dragging and dropping.

Hi there,

My desktop pc used to copy files while I dragged and dropped earlier.
    How much "earlier"? I am thinking that the USB problem and this might not be related at all. You just happened to notice them at the same time?

Most importantly, when did you install Nero?

If I recall correctly, when you install Nero it automatically disables the Windows IMAPI burning service to avoid conflicts. You have to use the Nero equivalent of D & D which is InCD. This would require you to format the CD first.

I have no idea what effect adding Ashampoo to the mixture will have, but it probably doesn't help so I would uninstall that one first.

Then disable the Windows CD burning option and try using Nero.

Other things to look at:

1. Did you ever discover the name of the malware that infected you? If so, please check to see what it actually does.

2. Is there anything in the Event Viewer relating to this problem?

3. Is the CD/DVD drive letter the same?

4. Try using different media and burn at a slow speed.
    Last edited by nihil; January 10th, 2009 at 01:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nihil View Post
    Please take a look at this and check your settings:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...ptember16.mspx

Also, I seem to recall that Windows XP doesn't support drag and drop for DVDs? you need burning software.
    Thank you...Thank you. I gotten beaten up by a fortune 1000 corp and snobby customers for this issue in the past. Shlt happens everytime a corp ax'es someone who originally created the Windblow images. Since corp was clueless and I was contracting, I threw in freeware burning software. Hung up on anyone bltching about registration.
    Last edited by Linen0ise; January 10th, 2009 at 07:02 PM.

Since corp was clueless and I was contracting, I threw in freeware burning software. Hung up on anyone bltching about registration.
    Why is it that that sounds horribly familiar?

Have you ever tried to explain the concept of open source and freeware to a senior executive?

It is like teaching a pig how to sing................... It wastes your time, and frequently annoys the pig

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by nihil View Post
    Why is it that that sounds horribly familiar?

Have you ever tried to explain the concept of open source and freeware to a senior executive?

It is like teaching a pig how to sing................... It wastes your time, and frequently annoys the pig
    You seen this road before . Corp wants their flawed in-house Window image repaired and solutions provided to the end user without using 3rd-party freeware or unlicensed software. Yet the high-lever IT folks ignore the situation and let you play "superman" to save the day.

Telling lusers that corp image isn't exactly like your copy of windows at home is considered an insult. They don't like being "sandboxed" or being told what they can or cannot do. Often it's the same folks complaining, complaining about nothing. I walk over users not user walk over me -- IT should be considered godly. I was once been authorized to walk over IT managers and report directly to the CIO because of situations like this. Makes great stories to entertain a IT interviewer. They relate to you and even chuckle with you. Got'em. Tells them you stick to corp policy no matter what and when to smile to corp complainers aka favoritism.
    Last edited by Linen0ise; January 11th, 2009 at 05:04 PM.

Yes,

Corp wants their flawed in-house Window image repaired and solutions provided to the end user without using 3rd-party freeware or unlicensed software. Yet the high-lever IT folks ignore the situation and let you play "superman" to save the day.
    On of the problems I have frequently encountered is that senior IT people are notoriously bad at preparing budgets. That means when something unexpected crops up there isn't the money for it. Hell, I once had to modify some virus code to distribute software because they wouldn't give me the money for a proper remote deployment tool.

Another thing is that the high level execs frequently show a reckless disregard for the structure and delegated responsibilities within their departments. Basically, I mean that the top jobs are taken, so the next level down (who are usually the ones with the knowledge and hands on responsibility) have to move out to move up. If there is only one person with the knowledge then this can cause real problems like with the corporate desktop image and with individual applications support.

Personally, I have no problems with using open source and freeware and would quite cheerfully use a fully functional evaluation copy of licensed software.

After all, if the software proves useful the corp might just buy it *cough* *cough*

Telling lusers that corp image isn't exactly like your copy of windows at home is considered an insult. They don't like being "sandboxed" or being told what they can or cannot do. Often it's the same folks complaining, complaining about nothing.
    About the only place I haven't come across that is when I was working in the armaments industry. I had 5 machines: 2 for the network, 2 stand alone ones for development and one stand alone for legacy systems support. We also had "reference machines" to test for new software and upgrade compatibility. Everything was locked down, and nobody dared to complain

In "normal" environments the average user has no idea of security, regulatory compliance, systems stability or anything else much.

IT should be considered godly
    Well I wouldn't put it quite that strongly but I take your point. Would you employ a doctor, a lawyer, an accountant or an architect and then ignore their advice? It happens far too frequently in IT in my experience.