Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows 7 Anyone?

Gore's arguments just make me want to get into Windows even more.
    Absolutely.................there is obviously no money to be made with this Linux stuff? ................ Actually, it's even worse?............ you just log into the interweb, give them your snail, and they send you a DVD at their expense.

I mean, just how anti-American can you get?

I just hope that president Obama sees the light and nukes the lot of them..............

AO's Filibustier Cheap Scotch Ron's Avatar
    I am sure it's just a matter of time before I will need to deal with this "new" OS, but I am sticking to the sidelines for a while. I've been reading the propaganda that MS has been sending to it's business partners and at this point, I cant understand why anyone would, at this time, make a conscious deliberate decision to implement Windows 7.

The beta ends in August, Then a formal CTP. Estimated RTM is January 09. There is way too much unknown in order to make a well informed decision. No info yet available on licensing. Just getting adequate hardware in place would be a major expense. There are many "new" features (e.g. Powershell, Direct Access, App Locker) that will require new business processes to be implemented in order to be supported. They are positioning this as a minor release to Vista and are suggesting business users to start the migration now. Are they nuts. I think they all drank the kool-aid. I think the primary strategy of the beta is to get the world to shake the code out at the world's expense. Prudent IT execs will stay with XP as long as they can or until MS gives them a real reason to migrate.

For some entertainment, go to the MS partner site and read some of the propaganda.
    https://partner.microsoft.com/global/search
    enter "windows 7" for search words.
    In God We Trust....Everything else we backup.

Ron:

You can use the Powershell on XP as long as you have SP2. I installed it two days ago. It works like a mix of DOS, Bash, and what appears to be half assed Python. It also accepts common Unix commands like ls and ps and kill too.

Well csr, I can totally understand your cynicism. We aren't actually going to implement, but might want to look at what is on offer?

I liked this from your link:

Building on the substantial investments Microsoft has made in the fundamental capabilities of the Windows Vista operating system, Windows 7 improves security, reliability, and performance while helping to optimize PC management. Take advantage of new business growth opportunities. And prepare to captivate your customers with compelling new user experiences.
    Sounds like an advert for an Ithaca Mod.37 Deerslayer riot gun?

"When this riot gun speaks, people listen".............. errrr ......... not if I am in the driving seat..... their ears would be running down the wall, along with the rest of their heads

M$ really do have to get this to work after the Vista debacle?

=O You mean people weren't totally happy with Vista?!?!?!?!?! Well I'll be.... And to think I got torn up a few pages back for saying it was possible

Well, smells like my Coffee is done, and I'm laughing to hard to type anymore than this,

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    I think I will jsut stick with Xp for the time being and run Windows 7 on a VM
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

I think that in this day and age about 88% of all desktops run Windows and in commercial environments that would be closer to 98%.

The problems with Vista are those caused by Microsoft's business model and marketing strategy. There is nothing wrong with the product, per se. I know numerous people who are perfectly happy with their Vista boxes; in fact they don't even know what OS they are running other than that it is Windows.

Windows 7 is MS's opportunity to regain total dominance.............my betting is that they will take it

Excuse me, my coffee percolator (running VMS) has just sent me an e-mail

AO's Filibustier Cheap Scotch Ron's Avatar
    You can use the Powershell on XP...
    FYI... Exchange 2007 also has a "Powershell". I needed to use it to recover an Exchange database.

Old farts like me like a command shell. Reminds us of the old days when we were full of piss and vinegar. Allows us to save scripts and rerun/log results. e.g. audit trail of work/changes implemented. However, the other side of that double-edged sword is that once someone has powershell ability, it's tough to control/monitor their actions. ( A kin to giving a skiddie a bash account.) I find it kinda ironic that MS has come full circle and is promoting a shell as a feature benefit.

Building on the substantial investments Microsoft has made in the fundamental capabilities of the Windows Vista operating system, Windows 7 improves security, reliability, and performance while helping to optimize PC management. Take advantage of new business growth opportunities. And prepare to captivate your customers with compelling new user experiences.
    Reminds me of IBM's b.s. marketing of OS/2. I was working for them at the time and they made us use it in the branch office. After using it, I didnt have the heart (lack of) to market it to my customers.

M$ really do have to get this to work after the Vista debacle?
    I agree, but they should do it on their dime, not mine.
    In God We Trust....Everything else we backup.

Banned
    I love what Vista did.

Clearly no home user would ever touch the policy editor... so they dumbed things down and took the legwork out of maintaining a computer so people like Gore can use it.

Hey csr,

Reminds me of IBM's b.s. marketing of OS/2.
    I actually quite liked that OS as it happens. Mind you, I was only using that particular box for database analysis and data cleansing. Some sort of 486 with 16MB of RAM and a 250MB hard drive as I recall?

But yes...........I did think that you would at least recognise the flavour....... if you read it through a few times you see that it says precisely nothing at all about the product?

I agree, but they should do it on their dime, not mine.
    I am sure that they will.............screw this and the Street will react? All those fat cat share options will be worth jack squat?

Tell you what, I will meet them a quarter of the way (to the dime, not the dollar)............ just found a small American coin: "quater dime" which is 2.5 cents by my reckoning?......... it is silver and dated 1845.............. 15 years before the Civil War (errrr........... I meant: "Northern War of Economic Aggression")

EDIT:

Please note that was Gore, Gore NOT gore, gore
    Last edited by nihil; February 7th, 2009 at 07:23 PM.