Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows 7 Anyone?

I would guess it is a table file that just didn't get updated? No doubt they will fix it before it matters

AO's Filibustier Cheap Scotch Ron's Avatar
    Maybe there will be one of those new "Fix it" fixes
    In God We Trust....Everything else we backup.

Hey, CSR,

That's what happened with 2000 and XP when you guys changed the dates?

ssssshhh!

That's what happens when you drink too many of those fancy singe malts.
    It wouldn't have happen if it was cheap scotch!

AOs Resident Troll
    See ^ what happens to your brain when you drink cheap scotch

Common....do you really think they recoded the whole OS???

They just havent patched it yet

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

AOs Resident Troll
    Just read this article ...LOL

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/...s-secure-vista

However, one of the things that makes it 'not Vista' is that it does not have so many user notifications such as, "you have just typed the letter A... are you sure you wish to proceed?".

But to do this Vole has tinkered with the User Account Control (UAC) feature and created two severe exploits which are set as the default, at least on Beta version.

The first allows malware to kill the UAC and allow the hacker free to do what they like on your computer. The second allows other malware to auto elevate without telling the user.
    Its security experts think that Vole should tighten up its default settings unless it wants Windows 7 to go out of Redmond with a reputation of being insecure.

However, impose too much pointless security and you end up like the US customs and immigration at Los Angeles airport, which is one of the worst in the known world. ยต
    MLF

Quote Originally Posted by morganlefay View Post
    See ^ what happens to your brain when you drink cheap scotch

Common....do you really think they recoded the whole OS???

They just havent patched it yet

MLF
    Man times sure have changed. I remember when you were like a Microsoft girl who would get a little bit uptight at times when someone said something bad about Windows or anything else. Now YOU are taking a shot at them?

I guess you had to get tired of the crap they make you deal with eventually Next you'll be telling me you got Unix installed on something and like it or something and I'll faint.

AOs Resident Troll
    No gore...I take issue with moronic statements like installing another OS other then MS will solve all your security issues.....and save the planet...

I take issue with people blaming everything that goes wrong with computers\networks and software on MS....when it is usually poorly configured on substandard hardware...and yes MS OSes are bloated.....but all the business apps I support run on MS. I make money supporting them.....woohoo MS Thanks!!!

I mean didnt Google just break the internet...and dont they use unix

MLF

I'm with Micro Chick.

MSOS+ID10t=$$$$
    Sure beats digging ditches and the pay supports my many vices.

Seriously, no OS is perfect. They all have their challenges that require sysadmin attention. ... and thank God for that...

CSR

Actually no, Google doesn't use Unix. They use a custom version of Ubuntu, which, in my opinion, is crap to begin with.

Yahoo uses Unix, hotmail uses Unix, and, when that worm was going after Windows Update a few years back, MICROSOFT used Unix to keep from being taken down. Remember? I can't recall the name of it, but I know it was a worm that went after SCO and Windows Update servers, and SCO stayed offline for a while because the hosting company they Microsoft used to keep from being taken down and handle all the extra traffic from that DDOS, was a company called Akai, who use Linux. SCO wouldn't use them since they were Linux users and didn't pay them for a license, but Microsoft had no problem looking the other way to get the job done.

What did you mean by Sub Standard Hardware? I have FreeBSD 7.1-RELEASE running on two machines right now, one of which is this:

Celeron 433 MHz Processor, 192 MBs RAM, 8 MB ATI video card, and it's running FreeBSD 7.1-RELEASE and I have Enlightenment E-17 installed and running, which, if you've ever hard of it, you know it has out of the box special FX and shiny gold looking windows and makes snow, rain, and fire on the desktop... It's running on THAT machine, no lagging.

It looks better than Aero. Aero needs what a 64 MB card minimum? For the same effects?

I know you can find E-17 pics on google, I'd say check them out, it is pretty impressive. Specially considering how old the hardware is it's running on without grinding at all. And by the way, I didn't install the drivers for the graphics card to allow for 3D, either. So this is all running as is out of the box.

By the way, is that a shot at me about installing another OS stops security issues? I did kind of say that in the fixit4me part. I stand by that though. Whenever someone related to me buys a computer and wants me to take care of it, I get tired of cleaning up spyware after a while, and viruses and trojans and backdoors....

After a while, I'll just install Linux on their machines, have it run the updates in cron, and show them how firefox works as opposed to...well....Firefox on Windows. And tell them to use a different office suit. That literally fixes everything for me. I don't have to spend 4 hours cleaning up infections anymore, because they can't get infected.
    Last edited by gore; February 5th, 2009 at 07:19 PM.