Thread: Data Protection for use of emails collected on an attendance sheet

Question Data Protection for use of emails collected on an attendance sheet

I hope this is the most appropriate forum ... but I've been asked to make a template for an attendance sheet to pass round talks our local BCS branch is giving over the coming months.
    We'd like to gather email addresses if people are willing, and inform them of future talks, and the AGM etc., ie hopefully gain some more members or make some idle members more active
    I think people who are already BCS members are probably fair game to send out mail to, but members of the public might be a different matter.
    If I leave an optional column for an email address, what else do I need to do before I'm entitled to spam <joke> that person with details of the next event, and on mass mailings like this, what do I need to put on an email?

I need an unsubscribe signature but the one below that we currently have presumably wouldn't work, as they wouldn't be joined up to the list in the first place, just tagged on as cc recipients.

UNSUBSCRIBE
    -----------
    To unsubscribe from this list, please use the 'reply to all' option and ensure the list email address is chosen. Please then send the message to the list address with
    unsubscribe
    in the subject line.

Or, if you are sending from an account other than moira.atkinson@bcs.org, use the subject line
    unsubscribe moira.atkinson@bcs.org
    however, please ensure it is sent to the list email address.

Email Policy - http://www.bcs.org/policies/email/
    Am I going to have to give my generic email address and ask everyone if they want to unsubscribe to email comms.newcastle@bcs.org, to email me?
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature

Just Another Geek
    Add a tickable selection "Keep me informed about future yadiya" when they sign up. That should cover it I think.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

rebmeM roineS enilnOitnA steve.milner's Avatar
    I hope that's not a real email address you've just posted.

Regards,

Steve
    IT, e-commerce, Retail, Programme & Project Management, EPoS, Supply Chain and Logistic Services. Yorkshire. http://www.bigi.uk.com

Why shouldn't it be steve.milner? The comms one doesn't identify me, is in any case an alias I can repoint to any throwaway address and it's all over the BCS local website, as Communications Officer it has to be!

Whether we add a tick table to the attendance form for tomorrow night is one thing, it's a fact that we have to allow subscribers to unsubscribe at any time they want. The most elegant way of doing it is to ask them to mail the generic address and put unsubscribe in the subject, if sending from a different email address, then unsubscribe <email address>.

Incidentally, one quick question. We have to do some security training at work and first of all take a test to see what we already know. One of the questions is this scenario: if a company employee discloses details about the company and/or its customer user details, then they have broken SiteL's internal rules, but have they broken the law and if so, which law?

I'm guess in they broke the law, but haven't a clue which one!

Any ideas?
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature

After some searching I believe it is just called "unlawful disclosure." It looks like that what people have been tried for in the past.

rebmeM roineS enilnOitnA steve.milner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Moira View Post
    Why shouldn't it be steve.milner? The comms one doesn't identify me, is in any case an alias I can repoint to any throwaway address and it's all over the BCS local website, as Communications Officer it has to be!
    Ah, I see. If that's the case it's been well and truly harvested already then.

Sorry for being a pain.

BTW is it the law in question the Data Protection Act?

Steve
    IT, e-commerce, Retail, Programme & Project Management, EPoS, Supply Chain and Logistic Services. Yorkshire. http://www.bigi.uk.com