Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to validate an email address

LOL No worries Neg! I believe you!

Thanks AO for making my Monday! *snickers* Negative is a Spammer, na-na, na-na, na, na.
    09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    200 k mails a day?

We are sending out around 10k maybe and I considered that spammering.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Banned
    They're all customers, they're all opt-in email addresses, and they can unsubscribe at any time - no "spammering" here...

It isn't spamming, it is "product awareness".

If done properly I would consider it to be perfectly acceptable and desirable. I am quite happy to receive it, as it helps me keep up with what is available, and what's on offer.

Also, I have just completed a "merchandising database and applications project" for a local company.

So, if "uncle nihil" does it, it must be acceptable?

Banned
    Our customers are professionals (x-ray technicians, HVAC, realtors, insurance agents...) who are licensed by the state - we provide the continuing education they are required to complete to keep their license current. Most of them are quite thankful for being reminded when it's almost time to renew, and most of them opt in to receive industry news as well...

Exactly, you are managing a professional mailing list.

I only accused you of being a spammer to wind you up

I get loads of those and their business partners'.............. not a problem as I see it............. surely you just set up a mail account for your personal "friends & family" stuff, and others as required. To be honest I have a relatively secure one for what I consider to be potentially essential business notifications.

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    As long as there is a unsubscribe button.

I spoke to marketing yesterday and in a 27 day period or the product expiring, our customers get 9 email reminders. I don't think it is 3 days apart exactly but yeah 9 times out of 27 days.

I told them that it is ridiculous and they must reduce it by half which they did ... But still say 4 times in 27 days. I don't know :P
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

rebmeM roineS enilnOitnA steve.milner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by moxquito View Post
    Although this is a good idea in practice.. unless he is part of that domain this will not work. Most if not all ISP's deny a connection from an IP that is not part of their domain to prevent relaying, and anyone running a mail server would be retarded to not implement this feature
    Just think about that for a minute.

How would any mail from outside the domain get delivered into the domain if that were the case.

I agree that relaying will be prevented for rcpt to: addresses which are off the domain, but you are trying to do what any other mail server which id delivering mail into the domain would do.

Regards,

Steve
    IT, e-commerce, Retail, Programme & Project Management, EPoS, Supply Chain and Logistic Services. Yorkshire. http://www.bigi.uk.com

It still boils down to what I said before.

You can prove that it exists, but without law enforcement agency powers you have no way of telling:

1. Who set it up.
    2. Who actually "owns" it.
    3. Who is using it, or has used it.

Quote Originally Posted by steve.milner View Post
    Just think about that for a minute.

How would any mail from outside the domain get delivered into the domain if that were the case.

I agree that relaying will be prevented for rcpt to: addresses which are off the domain, but you are trying to do what any other mail server which id delivering mail into the domain would do.

Regards,

Steve
    Good point...

however mail is received into a domain via POP from an SMTP server, so my original statement still stands unless you are authorized on the domain to send mail, either by way of IP from the domain or authenticated by some other means, you will not be able to connect to the SMTP server to send mail.

try randomly connecting to any SMTP server not on your domain and see if you can. If you find one the domain is open for relay. I guarantee you will not find many if any.
    Last edited by moxquito; February 6th, 2009 at 05:04 AM. Reason: miss type
    LOGIN: yes
    PASSWORD: I dont have one
    "Login Failed"