Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Good pc book

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar

Good pc book

Hey all,

Im looking for a book to read in my spare time.

Was thinking about maybe a linux newbie guide as I dont know linux what so ever.

Suggestions?
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    What is it you're looking to learn? Personally, a good starter book (whether linux or Unix) IMO would be the UNIX System Admin Guide.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Do you have any particular distribution of Linux in mind? There are a lot of books that are tailored for one distro or another. If you want a more general book, you could get one on BASH or BASH scripting. I am not sure that they would be good books to just sit down and read, but they make great reference books. If you want to know a little about the history of Linux, you can get 'Just for Fun'. It is a bit dated, but still a good read.
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

There is nothing wrong with the information you are requesting, but it is the fact that there is such a abundance of information available to you. Google or your favorite search engine can produce a endless amount of data for you to read about Linux. General knowledge about Linux, there is a extreme amount of data to read. But if you start to narrow the topics down, you will find the information you are looking for.

It is great that you are wanting to know more about Linux, but a specific topic might help narrow your results.

DistroWatch.com: Put the fun back into computing. Use Linux, BSD.:

Linux Online - Linux Courses - Getting Started with Linux - Beginner's Course

The Linux Documentation Project - Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide

Really Linux website for LINUX beginners

Can not forgot about Google...

Good luck.
    Last edited by Cope57; February 24th, 2009 at 06:55 PM.
    Computers do not have problems, they have users.
    ~Cope57

Hey, thanks for the response.

My boss would like me to start on my MCSE even though I am very reluctant. I want to learn linux/unix. I understand that MS is commercial and the money will probally lie there but I think I have enough general knowledge on MS systems to handle myself so I want to spread my wings.

How does Linux+ from comptia sound? I am isntalling opensuse 11.0 in a VM quick and going to start playing with that on a dialy basis.

Is it worth spending alot of time in this or just stick with my MCSE / MCSA , learn 2008 server , play with windows 7 more?

Ive always been intrigued with linux as its different to MS and it requires some skill and knowledge I suppose.

But yes I have to make a living so what do people think?

And gore dont come in here and blah blah about Linux, is it worth it in terms of career / financial gain? :P

Thanks.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Something along the lines of windows to Linux so I can understand it.

http://www.reallylinux.com/docs/windowstolinux.shtml

For example, I would love an example along the lines for.

To check your IP in Xp

1. Click start > Run > CMD. Type ipconfig /all etc etc

To check IP in opensuse
    Click on the green thing > terminal > ifconfig. (is this correct :P:P:P < flame time!)

Sort of thing

Is that a good way to learn the system?
    Albert Einstein

I know these aren't along the lines of linux, or even operating systems, but I have found the following to be very good reads and figured I'd throw them out there:
    This book explains exploits, how they work, and how to write them.

http://www.amazon.com/Hacking-Art-Ex...5519975&sr=8-2

This book is for reverse engineering software.

http://www.amazon.com/Reversing-Secr...ref=pd_sim_b_1

You can get both of them off amazon for pretty cheap. I haven't finished either of them yet, but so far they have been very enlightening, and at times, fairly advanced, at least for me, although I am still able to grasp the concepts.

metguru has some good options... I have Reversing - The Secrets of Reverse Engineering sitting on my bookshelf. Hacking - The Art of Exploitation... I wouldn't pay for it... but I'd read it.

I'd highly recommend Gray Hat Hacking -- http://www.amazon.com/Gray-Hat-Hacki.../dp/0072257091

It covers everything (Vulnerabilities, Exploits, Coding Basics, Disassembly Basics, Metasploit, etc) and it's actually a really good read. I'm currently developing a course using this as the textbook.

Banned
    NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVaAAAAR buy a book with the H-word in it.

You want to get a book written by people who are interested in computers; for people who are interested in computers. Not something thats geared toward pimple-faced teens who just want something to appear on their screen to show off to pals.

Reversing - The Secrets of Reverse Engineering
    The "How to repair and upgrade PCs" series.
    C++ Primer Plus. <- One of the only C++ books to ever be half decent. Atleast by Sams goofy standards anyway.

In the late ninties there was a book called "Learning Redhat Linux" The bulk of the book was about putting in a new drive, choosing a file system, and getting lilo to work. But the back of the book had the install disk and a bunch of junk about how avoid problems while emulating games... how to use text editors and that sort of crap.

That's when I burst out laughing at the idea of anyone honestly using it for average home desktop sort of stuff. I've picked the book up a few times... to reach other things on my shelf.

Hey guys,

Thanks for the answers.

Could someone also maybe comment on my questions I had in my post otherwise keep the comments coming :P
    Albert Einstein