Thread: Tomcat 6 on Windows - Enabling Security Manager

Tomcat 6 on Windows - Enabling Security Manager

Hi All,

I am writing a Tomcat 6 on Windows hardening guide at the moment and I am looking at the process for enabling the security manager. On the Tomcat 6 documentation website http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-...ger-howto.html it says that on Windows all you need to do is run the following command:
    %CATALINA_HOME%\bin\catalina start -security

Unfortunately though when I install Tomcat there is no such program as "catalina" in the bin directory so I can't run it like that. Within bin there is only bootstrap.jar, tomcat6.exe, tomcat6w.exe and tomcat-juli.jar

Using the Tomcat monitor application there is a tab for startup and there is an input box for arguments that by default contains 'start' but if I try to add ' -security' to this argument text box the service fails to start at all.

Can anyone help in advising me how you get tomcat 6.0.18 to start with a security manager. Note that tomcat was installed from the Tomcat Windows Service installer and it is running Windows Server 2003 SP2.

Any help is appreciated, web searching has revealed nothing and I have been getting very frustrated :-)

Cheers

The solution

Thanks to some help from the tomcat-users mailing list the solution to my problem was as follows:

Stop all Tomcat instances/service. Open the "tomcat monitor" application and open the "configure" pop-up/window. Or open the "Configure Tomcat" application. On this window there is a "Java" tab, go there.

Within the Java tab there is a text box for Java Options, in this text box append the following:
    -Djava.security.manager
    -Djava.security.policy=<path_to_security_policy_file>

The standard Tomcat policy is located in Tomcat's conf/catalina.policy file, but you're free to specify whatever location you are using.

Cheers