Thread: Bastille problem in opensuse 11.1

Bastille problem in opensuse 11.1

I recently migrated to openSUSE 11.1 and after installing Bastille and running the interactive command I get this error:

Can't locate Bastille/API.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /usr/lib /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl//5.10.0/i586-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl//5.10.0 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/ /usr/lib/Bastille /opt/sec_mgmt/bastille/lib /opt/sec_mgmt/bastille/lib/API /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.10.0/i586-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.10.0 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.0/i386-linux /usr/lib/perl5/5.10.0/i586-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/5.10.0 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.10.0/i586-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.10.0 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl .) at /usr/sbin/InteractiveBastille line 205.
    BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/sbin/InteractiveBastille line 205.

I have looked fpr the API.pm file but it is no where to be found. line 205 in the InteractiveBastille perl script is this:

use Bastille::API;

So I thought I might just put in the approprite file path for API.pm in the aforementioned script but there isnt any API.pm file to be found anywhere on my drive. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the rpm, nothing is working. Anyone have any ideas?

First off, why are you trying to use Bastille? It hasn't been really useful since about 8.2 when they started including most of what it does by default. After SUSE 9.0 or so, everything Bastille did was usually done by default but they just included it anyway.

Also, when you run it, it should tell you once it's done that it made a file to revert everything it did, which you can run to basically revert your system to pre-bastille existence.

Do you have the Perl stuff installed? Not sure if it was installed by default since I always do a custom installation, so I've got no idea what a default install has.

And again, you don't really need Bastille anymore now that Novell started adding in AppArmor and other tools to the CDs you install from or DVD.

Bastille was cool back in about 8.X, but now, with everything SUSE does by default, it isn't even necessary anymore. The stuff it does, as I've said, is already done usually. If you go to YAST2 and open the firewall and security tab, yuo can do a lot of this by hand, or check to see what it has already. I normally have the firewall set up, and then, if I'm going to use SSH or FTP, allow those, and then close everything else, and then the security tab lets me set the rest of the settings.

isee

Thanks for the update gore. I haven't even touched a computer for 4 years. SO now I'm tryin to get back into things. Last I checked Bastille was still good. I've looked at apparmor and I've been tryiung to refresh my memory on how to shell script some IPTABLES but I thought for an imediate solution Bastille would be good until I got everything sorted out. I'll look into other things though. Again thanks man.

No problem. I figured you'd probably rather know that you don't have to do that instead of trying to figure out why it wasn't doing things.

If you want to get it locked down fast, just go to Yast or Yast2, and in there the security tab and firewall as I was talking about, will walk you through most of it. All you have to really do if set up your firewall, which will normally block everything by default with IPTables. It's basically a front end to it so you don't have to memorize it all.

After that the system permissions and all of that can all be done from inside that tab for security so you don't have to do a thing by hand, it will do it for you with a menu.

AppArmor has a tab too so you can also set that up in a slightly easier manner.