Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Windows 7 release date : October 22nd, 2009

Windows 7

Well, what I don't like about Windows 7 is that is looks a lot like Vista. They should fix it before anyone actually tries to use it.

Banned
    "Mature" has nothing to do with age.

As for email clients: your comment about "a preview pane that opened up viruses and worms for you" made me assume that you're stuck with Outlook 97 or something...

Quote Originally Posted by kevomate66 View Post
    Well, what I don't like about Windows 7 is that is looks a lot like Vista. They should fix it before anyone actually tries to use it.

You have to be kidding me ! Windows 7 looks like vista in minimal of terms, if you're talking about the start button yeah they both have it ! But except that the looks and usability has been revamped!

Vista started off as a recourse hog but now “every” laptop manufacturer that I see offers 3 GB to 4 GB RAM. I think that’s because DDR3 has come in and DDR2 is on its way out. Vista runs amazingly well even on 2 GB RAM. I have 8 GB on my laptop but a large part of it is devoted to multiple virtual machines running on my laptop. Also it is "definitely" more responsive then XP and is definitely more stable. Windows 7 is far better no doubt but Vista isn't bad at all (I know I’ll get clobbered for saying that)..

As far as server grade OS.. I think Server 2008 (and R2) is a milestone in server OS development there is a huge development from server 2003 era.

I think we should accept certain inalienable (marketing / to an extent true) facts- Every subsequent OS (2000 > xp > vista > 7 > and so on) will be MOST SECURE OS EVER BUILT. Vista is way better in being secure then XP, yes UAC is a F-up but I actually started liking after a while it gives me a certain amount of peace knowing I’m sitting on administrator account and typing this rather then logging off and logging onto a lesser privileged account..
    Parth Maniar,
    CISSP, CISM, CISA, SSCP

*Thank you GOD*

Greater the Difficulty, SWEETER the Victory.

Believe in yourself.

Personally, I would expect operating systems to look pretty similar given that they pretty much do the same thing. Also there is the marketing aspect?.........people generally don't like dramatic changes so there is an incentive to preserve the familiar look and feel of previous versions.

I believe that the main problem with Vista was the "Vista Ready/Vista Capable" debacle. Hardware was being sold that was basically incapable of supporting all the features of the OS. I look on that as being more of a marketing gaffe than anything fundamentally wrong with the OS.

yes UAC is a F-up but I actually started liking after a while it gives me a certain amount of peace
    I hardly noticed it, as I had been running third party applications with similar functionality since Win 98

Quote Originally Posted by nihil View Post
    Personally, I would expect operating systems to look pretty similar given that they pretty much do the same thing. Also there is the marketing aspect?.........people generally don't like dramatic changes so there is an incentive to preserve the familiar look and feel of previous versions.

I believe that the main problem with Vista was the "Vista Ready/Vista Capable" debacle. Hardware was being sold that was basically incapable of supporting all the features of the OS. I look on that as being more of a marketing gaffe than anything fundamentally wrong with the OS.

I hardly noticed it, as I had been running third party applications with similar functionality since Win 98
    That's more or less true now. KDE4 for example, has all the GUI stuff like Vista, where KDE 3.5, is more like the XP / 2003 look that can be customized beyond what most people care to do.

Gnome is like that too, and that's the two most you'll see in that area, but on a Server, the GUI should be turned off. RAM wasted on GUI crap you don't need for a machine that doesn't even have a monitor, is kind of silly.

Neg:

My comment was about exactly that, I don't even have Office 97 here, but used it and thought that was terribly bad in opening up stuff before you did.

That DOESN'T mean, though, that I think it still does. I was pointing out a mistake from the past.

And I know mature has nothing to do with age. But even Microsoft use that little OS you seem to think is inferior. Remember Hotmail? It still ran FreeBSD for YEARS after Microsoft said Unix was dumb. They were using it on Hotmail, the back ends still use it, and even the "We have the way out" anti-Unix ad campaign was running FreeBSD.

The stupid thing is that wen I posted I wasn't saying a word about which OS I use, or even bringing up Linux and BSD, yet because I posted, someone had to bring that up and assume whatever they assumed. I didn't say a word about Linux, or BSD, or anything else I use, and was talking about Microsoft Windows, by itself, and some things I'd like to see happen there.

So why did this turn into who's OS is better argument when I get blasted for that?

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    Love this thread!
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Just some quick points here:

2000 was not based on NT (That can be argued, but not here - It would require it's own thread)

VISTA's kernel was completely re written. Including some FreeBSD code in the networking layer. (Yea M$ got busted and had to remove the code) One of the biggest reasons Vista sucks and will not network any better than a windows 95 box

Windows 7 kernel ROCKS! Between bench testing, user groups and my testing. This is a very nice OS and is in NO WAY close to VISTA. I am thinking; however, it is what M$ wanted VISTA to be.

As for using it. I haven't upgraded to the RC yet, I'm still using the BETA!
    09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0

ByTeWrangler,

It's fantastic that you are having such a great experience with Windows 7! As you have discovered, several changes have been made to ensure the best user experience possbile. For those who are still unsure about Windows 7, or even hesitant, Microsoft does have a site with whitepapers, tutorials, walkthroughs and screen casts on all the “under the hood” features in Win 7. Check out the Springboard site for Windows 7 on TechNet here http://tinyurl.com/832nco

Jessica
    Microsoft Windows Client Team

Quote Originally Posted by dinowuff View Post
    Just some quick points here:

2000 was not based on NT (That can be argued, but not here - It would require it's own thread)

VISTA's kernel was completely re written. Including some FreeBSD code in the networking layer. (Yea M$ got busted and had to remove the code) One of the biggest reasons Vista sucks and will not network any better than a windows 95 box

Windows 7 kernel ROCKS! Between bench testing, user groups and my testing. This is a very nice OS and is in NO WAY close to VISTA. I am thinking; however, it is what M$ wanted VISTA to be.

As for using it. I haven't upgraded to the RC yet, I'm still using the BETA!

.. Doesn't windows shutdown every 2 hours ? One of the reason's for moving to RC was that ..

I think microsoft sold us beta OS (vista) to get to 7..
    Parth Maniar,
    CISSP, CISM, CISA, SSCP

*Thank you GOD*

Greater the Difficulty, SWEETER the Victory.

Believe in yourself.

Banned
    Gore > All I'm saying is that some of your comments made me think that you were comparing apples to oranges; i.e. you were comparing a recent *nix version to a not-so-recent Windows version. This is the post I'm referring to, btw - http://antionline.com/showpost.php?p=948734&postcount=8

I couldn't care less about what OS you use - if you can make it do what you want it to, I'm all for it. I'd love to be in a situation where I know so much about both of them that I just flip a coin and go with whatever option I'm dealt...

I guess I decided to go with Windows... I can't even keep up with all the basics pertaining to Windows, let alone Windows AND *Nix.. I have nothing but admiration for folks who do everything and anything across platform... I can't do that, though, so I picked something... Turned out to be .Net... and in doing so, I got to compare some platforms... I won't compare them in this thread, though