Thread: Controlling Services under multiple accounts - WinXP

Did someone said Pizza :) FanacooL's Avatar

Red face Controlling Services under multiple accounts - WinXP

Hi everyone!
    Folks I need help on a query for which i have been searching for almost a week but yet failed to find the solution.

=> There is an application which runs a service abc.exe by default Log on as "Local System Account". Its running on a machine which is a member of a Domain and running Windows XP SP3.

Each User has two accounts: -

1) Power User Domain Account
    2) Network Configuration Operators Local System account.

The service must be running under Domain account and when the user switch to Local Account the service should get stopped and when the user switch from Local to Domain the service should start again.

I am looking for any bat file or script that can achieve this task of mine, tried using taskkill but than the service don't get started again until i restart the machine.

Can someone please provide me the solution.

Peace
    F A N A
    One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man!

AO's Filibustier Cheap Scotch Ron's Avatar
    From the command line/bat file/logon script, you can use the NET STOP [servicename] and NET START [service name] You can also pass credentials NET START [servicename] [userid] [password].
    In God We Trust....Everything else we backup.

AOs Resident Troll
    IMHO

This is a poorly configured application if users need to be Domain power users....unless of course I am misunderstanding.

Why do users even have the option of running locally????

I understand if the users domain account needs to be part of the local power users or admin accounts to run as we have applications that need to run like that...but for users to be part of the domain power users is just wrong ....unless it is a domain administration application...and only domain admin types run the application.

I have dealt several 3rd party application consultants that want to put users in domain admin groups because they dont understand how to setup securty or permissions in a domain.

What kind of application is it???

I may be able to help or give some insight.

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

MORGANLEFAY

Although the application mechanism was not like this but i want to achieve this task where i want if the users are using Domain account the application should be running while when they are using local account the application should not work.

The application restrict users from accessing outside network resources, so i want to configure the Application in a way that if they are on domain they should be restricted while they are working on local account the restriction shouldn't be imposed and they can access anything they want.

F A N A
    One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man!

Cheap Scotch Ron!
    Are you sure we have Userid and password option with NET START as i could not find it .

F A N A

AO's Filibustier Cheap Scotch Ron's Avatar
    In God We Trust....Everything else we backup.