Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Browser Security Review

well pretty much everything I use is Windows-centric, but specifically Dragon NaturallySpeaking.

Quote Originally Posted by t34b4g5 View Post
    Have your tried to see if you can get the apps to work under wineHQ?

still curious to know what software?
    See, that is the thing... Wine is alright, but there are several programs that are pretty flaky when used with it. Why go to all the trouble, just to use Linux, when Windows will work just fine for you?

As I said, I use Linux for most things, but I don't use much software that will only work in Windows.

Though when I am making changes to group policy, or AD at work, I don't try to run the admin tools through Wine, just so I can stick with my prefered OS... I use Windows.
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

exactly, and even on Windows Dragon NaturallySpeaking is an awful, buggy, and unbelievably frustrating piece of garbage software that I am convinced was developed by Satan, himself. I can't imagine how much worse it would be trying to run it through wine on Linux.

This must be one of those things where I lucked out huh? The only software I used on Windows was IE and Pinball. Most of the stuff I use CAN work on Windows, sort of, but like, one of the main apps, LMMS, until recently, it was the opposite of what everyone else is saying; It worked on Linux the best, and ran on BSD good, but on Windows a lot of stuff was broken to the point you didn't use it.

Now they HAVE fixed it I will say, because I grabbed the Windows copy for my Laptop to try out, and it not only runs fine, it actually works.

The only real issue is if you upload to myspace.com like I do, you need to go find lame or something else to make MP3s because it can only export as either WAV or OGG. Not that it's a big deal, I mean seriously, OGG is just as good as an MP3 from what I've read, but Myspace and other things expect an actual MP3 to use so you generally export your music project file as WAV, and you can do it at up to 320 KBps and do VBR if you like, but I'm not really sure how well MP3 tools work on Windows because I haen't ever used them. I have my FTP server set up and whenever I make a new song, I just back up the whole projects directory to my server, grab it on one of my boxes, and use lame to encode it.

All the other stuff I use, is mainly Linux or BSD made sofware. I use Word sometimes, and parts from Office, but other than Word, everything else has something for Linux. (I don't care about or for Open Office all that much other than I understand how much time was put into it, and it DOES run, but I actually prefer Word over "Writer" or whatever they call it) Email apps I can't stand Windows most of the time other than Outlook and the new Windows Live Mail which is probably better than most of what Windows has had before. As for browsers, I use Opera a lot. I do use versions of Firefox sometimes, but not in any joy or anything, it's terrible.

I've used "Links" a few times just to not have to load Firefox when I had to check something out.

Quote Originally Posted by JPnyc View Post
    exactly, and even on Windows Dragon NaturallySpeaking is an awful, buggy, and unbelievably frustrating piece of garbage software that I am convinced was developed by Satan, himself. I can't imagine how much worse it would be trying to run it through wine on Linux.
    I am still giggling at the satan part.

anyhow i'm sure there would be a naturallyspeaking equivilant both for win & *nix.

not sure though as i've never felt the need to setup my boxes for voice recognition stuff.

you'd think so wouldn't you. You'd be mistaken however.

Banned
    I tried to get Moodle (http://moodle.org/) to run on one of our Windows servers, but getting to run Apache/PHP/MySQL on Windows Server was more headache than I care for... So I have taken the unprecedented step of running some of our production stuff on a Linux server, and I have still not gotten over it.

How about running .Net on Linux? Visual Studio? SQL Server? I'm sure it can be done, but it sounds like a big cluster of you-know-what...

Banned
    I've never had problems. But then I've always used packages like xampp instead of downloading and configuring it all seperately like some sort of retard.

Novell used to have an SQL thing on one of their product pages but I don't know if it's still there or not. It basically let you do that stuff without the bottle of head ache pills usually required. I have it on DVD here somewhere after getting one of their guys to send it to me so I could use it with one of the classes I took to get a better grasp. It's a little dated the copy I have but I got it free so I can't complain much. They sent that AND the server versions of their stuff to run it all on. (SUSE Server, Novell OpenServer, Nterprise, Groupwise, ConsoleOne, and about 4 other things. Some of them were on the LTRK they were sending out and some weren't.

They also had another tool I've got here somewhere I also got for free from Novell that was for Database servers so you could do other stuff without head aches.

If you have to use Linux and Windows together on servers, or in a cluster of mixed stuff like Windows and Linux, just get Novell. Microsoft gave them a stamp of approval years ago. (Microsoft also sells SUSE / Novell to customers who Windows doesn't work for, like sites who have been using Unix or Novell for 20 years and don't want to switch) so Microsoft started selling too.

Quote Originally Posted by The-Spec View Post
    I've never had problems. But then I've always used packages like xampp instead of downloading and configuring it all seperately like some sort of retard.
    I downloaded it earlier and have been fiddling with it on a spare machine. So far it's been interesting.