Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Slackware 13!!!!!!!

It gets boring at times.. to be honest i really don't have many people here who are into exploring or computing for that matter.. None of my friends are into computing except CS or warcraft and WoW .. :|

So it's me trying all the time and if get tired it's again me trying to figure out stuff with not really anyone to ask out there.. I am not saying google is dead but searching on google isn't same as asking someone and getting an answer or guidance from a person.. I might just start with Linux one more time.. I'll go ahead with ubuntu (Yeah yeah you hate me now ) or maybe openSuse

Ill be putting up my question's soon ..
    Parth Maniar,
    CISSP, CISM, CISA, SSCP

*Thank you GOD*

Greater the Difficulty, SWEETER the Victory.

Believe in yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by ByTeWrangler View Post
    It gets boring at times.. to be honest i really don't have many people here who are into exploring or computing for that matter.. None of my friends are into computing except CS or warcraft and WoW .. :|

So it's me trying all the time and if get tired it's again me trying to figure out stuff with not really anyone to ask out there.. I am not saying google is dead but searching on google isn't same as asking someone and getting an answer or guidance from a person.. I might just start with Linux one more time.. I'll go ahead with ubuntu (Yeah yeah you hate me now ) or maybe openSuse

Ill be putting up my question's soon ..
    I hate WoW, a lot.... lol.

Anyway, here is something that not everyone on here knows about me:

I've literally held hands with 3 different members on here helping them not only install Linux, but then after I took like 8 hours once helping Phishphreek after installing SUSE, helped him over IM to set the thing up. I'm sure Phishy remembers the day I spent HOURS helping him configure stuff.

I pretty much have a BUNCH of PMs in my inbox from people thanking me for helping them get up and running. They didn't want to ask in public for help for fear of someone thinking they would be called stupid for not knowing something, so they sent me a PM, and I helped walk them through set up and learning how to use it. I've done this so many times I had to one day clean out my inbox because it was like full. I'm not saying every member here has sent me messages asking for help, but I've helped at least 20 members or so on here get up and running.

If you want help from me, simply ask, I won't call you stupid, or lazy, or assume you know everything with an OS you've never used much. I'm not like that. You can ask me either in PM, or make threads.

Just know that if I help you, you DO have to read some things, but I won't simply say to Google it either. I have somewhere here a list of Websites where you can get Unix help.

So ask away.

and Ubuntu though not my favorite, isn't terrible, and certainly isn't changing how I feel about someone. I do think you'd be better off with something else though, not because I don't like it, but because I think Ubuntu still has that no Root thing, which makes it harder to understand what you're being told on a screen VS what you are able to do.

Do you have an old machine you're using as a door stop? I can help you pick a distro that's right for you and help you set it up.

This is a check list for you to go over:

1. What are you going to use the machine for?
    2. What kind of tools do you use?
    Basically after this it's a matter of taste. If you want to do coding or something, ANY distro will work for that, but if you want other stuff, let me know. I can help normally.

I'm going to install over a VM (VMware). I'll be using it for testing and playing around.. Most importantly to get feel of using a bash or command line. So i can be comfortable with using live cd's (backtrack and others)..

As far as what kind of tools do i use .. well nothing.. I never got past using Linux on a VM.. I would have it for few days and later delete the VM.. Found it too boring when command lines came in..

I'll start using OpenSuse and let you know..

It might be end of this week because I just signed up for CCIE - security.. I need to get few stuff for it..

Anyway thanks a lot for the offer to help.. I'll be sending PM's to you soon..
    Parth Maniar,
    CISSP, CISM, CISA, SSCP

*Thank you GOD*

Greater the Difficulty, SWEETER the Victory.

Believe in yourself.

I personally love Ubuntu. You just have to get used to sudo for the command line and gksu for gnome. (I am not familiar with KDE but I'm sure there's an equivalent). It's inconvenient but it prevent people from screwing up my box, which is helpful when a lot of people use it simultaneously (sessions in a virtual PC). Also I can pop into and out of root for a brief session no matter who's logged in. IMO people look down on it because it's more user friendly than most distro's, so you don't get much practice setting stuff up and playing with it unless you really dig into it yourself.

sudo works on every version of Linux and BSD and Unix I've used, so it's not something most would need to get used to in the way you're describing; most of the books that talk about Unix and security will probably have at least one section somewhere that says to use sudo to do something as root, and nothing else other than the use of su without an arguments to get root for sys admin stuff.

As far as user friendly and looking down on that, I think most people who think "user friendly" can't be good, are probably the same people who talk about "The good ol' days of SystemV" in Unix when they weren't there for those days to begin with. (In other words they're talking out their ass).

I don't care if an OS is user friendly, as long as it doesn't get in the way. Going through a Windowed Environment trying to set something up, you're going to eventually hit the proverbial brick wall because there is only so much a click of a mouse can do until it gets to the point it actually takes longer and becomes more complex than typing out a line of text.

Even adding a user to the system is faster in a terminal than a GUI:

GUI way - Click on whatever menu you have, find the application that actually adds users, open, wait for it to load, then, add a new user, type in the info, save it, done.

Non GUI - useradd [Enter] type info, done.

That's not the best example, but I was awake for about 31 hours, slept for 4 hours, barely, and I'm awake again, so for now that at least shows the point.

Hey all,

I was testing out something to see if it was going to work or not, and so now that I can report back, this may be of interest to some of you:

The distro that was known as I-Slack, which is now NetSecL, which, for those wondering what it is, is basically a Security Enhanced and Security Minded version of Slackware. It comes with a lot of tools, and since the distro is so heavily based on Slackware (Some screens in this thing will still say Slackware on them instead of NetSecL) the packages it comes with are all .tgz format, which, until this new release came out, was the standard Slackware Package format.

They still work though, so, if you like, you can get NetSecL, or download packages you want to try out, and they'll install on Slackware!

Some of these don't want to work, and I think it's probably an issue with Libraries and so on with dependencies, but I've gotten a few packages installed now and they actually do work, so you can have Slackware and all the stuff you expect from it, but also add in tools you normally can't find a Slackware package for.

Some people may ask "Why would you do this? Wouldn't it be easier to just install NetSecL?" Well, maybe, but my Laptop doesn't play very well with NetSecL, so since Slackware does, I can use the tools from NetSecL, and install them on Slackware.

Also I like having the real version of Slackware since the security patches are so easy to work with that it just makes sense to me.

Anyway, thought I'd give a little tip.

I'm also still running this new version on my Laptop and it's working very well! I also still have it installed on my test machine, which I posted the specs for, and not only is it still working, I have now set up a test FTP Server to start testing how it handles huge loads (Like 30 gigs in MP3s and Videos) and it seems to stand right up to it without even flinching!

I decided to use Window Maker on the old box since that and FVWM2 work VERY fast on old hardware, and Window Maker in general is a beautiful Window Manager, so I'm using that on there and I'm also using it right now on my Laptop. My Laptop can handle KDE4 just fine, but I do like KDE3.X much more since it seems more "Desktop" like.... If that even makes sense lol.

But anyway, I'm using Window Maker if anyone cares. I also have the Enlightenment 17 Slackware package installer if anyone wants it It's the Enlightenment 17 installation package which you basically untar and it has shell scripts inside that install Enlightenment 0.17 ALL dependencies included, for Slackware Linux. I've tested it and got it working on everything from 10.2 - the present new release without any problems.

Smile

hey gore why not some screenshots of hot slackware??
    im waiting to see them..
    right now im using FreeBSD..
    files have places but the processes have life!

Quote Originally Posted by rotoR*46 View Post
    hey gore why not some screenshots of hot slackware??
    im waiting to see them..
    right now im using FreeBSD..
    I had FreeBSD 7.1 on my production box (The machine I use to make all the music I do, and listen to music, and watch movies and stuff) it's great.

Anyway, I've got a bunch of screen shots all over AO of my installs. I think I have almost all of them around here somewhere. I'll post a few though so no one has to go looking around for them, in a little while.

I was going to take some new ones anyway after getting some new stuff for Window Maker. I have Screen shots of Slackware with KDE, Gnome, Window Maker, Enlightenment 0.17, FVWM2, XFCE, and both TWM and MWM which look like the 1980s lol. They're REALLY fast though.

I'll dig them up in a little while and post some in here. Not sure why I didn't to begin with. Must be that 3 hours of sleep in the last 72 hours thing.

Does anyone else have this installed yet? I'd be interested in having some screen shots of other people's machines if they have it. I'll post a few in a bit like I said, but if anyone else would like to join in, feel free to at any time

Here it is:

Slackware with Enlightenment 0.17, running on a machine that has this:

8 MB ATI Video
    192 MBs RAM
    433 MHz Celeron Processor

All the stuff you see on screen moves around. The rain drops in some of the shots I took fall from the clouds, and the Snow, well, that one has been around a while, but the Fire at the bottom can not only change color, it moves like a flame.
    Attached Images Attached Images