Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Facebook stomped by Canucks

Just West of Beantown, though nobody from Beantown actually calls it "Beantown."
    Quote Originally Posted by MsMittens View Post
    In the US, there is no privacy laws period. (save for HIPPA IIRC). Gov't and corporations can do with your information what they want.
    Not the case. In the US, we have at least the following two Federal Statutes:

ECPA - Electronic Communications Privacy Act

CCPA - Cable Communications Policy Act of 1984

These are what require law enforcement agencies to obtain a court order for subscriber records, and prevent the ISPs, etc. from releasing subscriber records without one. There are of course immediate danger exigencies, but they must be followed-up with a court order.
    Above ground, vertical, and exchanging gasses.
    Now you see me | Now you don't
    "Relax, Bender; It was just a dream. There's no such thing as two." ~ Fry
    sometimes my computer goes down on me

Truth,there is no such a thing as "privacy", It is not safe to keep any sensitive data on a PC which has internet connection:/ It is easy to dig any info about any person who has accounts in the internet and e-mail is the best way to start. The most of people think that newer web browser ensure their safety or newer firewall or anti-virus and they are absolutely wrong. Sensitive Info must be kept crypted in PC (personally I think TrueCrypt is a good choise), http isn't safe, only https, but the most of web-pages use only http protocol.

here is a list of web-sites and programs which helps to surf safer by hiding or encrypting your internet path:
    http://ipinfo.info/html/anonymous-surfing_2.php
    it can't ensure full safety, but it helps a lot

It is a big risk to have accounts on web-pages like myspace or facebook and etc..

The reason servers don't use HTTPS over HTTP is because some things don't NEED to be encrypted and it wastes CPU to encrypt useless info.

If you want Privacy online lock down your OS the best you can, use toss away email accounts with PGP and smack the hell out of any idiot still using their name as their password.

About 5 years ago I was using this:

SUSE Linux
    Mutt for Email
    2048 bit Encryption with Blowfish (While laughing because DES and RSA were both getting talked about as vulnerable at the time)

PGP worked fine because the only people cracking that in any reasonable time are doing so because you've screwed up some how.

For a browser ... Heh...Use links or lynx, they don't load images like Mutt doesn't. Images on a remote server were how Spammers could tell when you opened an email. By not doing that you had decent privacy.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 11001001 View Post
    Not the case. In the US, we have at least the following two Federal Statutes:

ECPA - Electronic Communications Privacy Act

CCPA - Cable Communications Policy Act of 1984

These are what require law enforcement agencies to obtain a court order for subscriber records, and prevent the ISPs, etc. from releasing subscriber records without one. There are of course immediate danger exigencies, but they must be followed-up with a court order.
    Right. Did you forget the Patriot Act (Wiki version)which effectively makes those two useless when the words "potential terrorist" are thrown around?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 4Fun View Post
    Truth,there is no such a thing as "privacy", It is not safe to keep any sensitive data on a PC which has internet connection:/ It is easy to dig any info about any person who has accounts in the internet and e-mail is the best way to start. The most of people think that newer web browser ensure their safety or newer firewall or anti-virus and they are absolutely wrong. Sensitive Info must be kept crypted in PC (personally I think TrueCrypt is a good choise), http isn't safe, only https, but the most of web-pages use only http protocol.

here is a list of web-sites and programs which helps to surf safer by hiding or encrypting your internet path:
    http://ipinfo.info/html/anonymous-surfing_2.php
    it can't ensure full safety, but it helps a lot

It is a big risk to have accounts on web-pages like myspace or facebook and etc..
    True, there is no such thing as ultimate privacy (unless you go completely off-grid) but I really don't need the gov't or a corporation to make it worse. What **I** choose to throw around is my business and my risk.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Just West of Beantown, though nobody from Beantown actually calls it "Beantown."
    Quote Originally Posted by MsMittens View Post
    Right. Did you forget the Patriot Act (Wiki version)which effectively makes those two useless when the words "potential terrorist" are thrown around?
    Well, we weren't talking about terrorists... just the average user.

Anyway, using the Patriot Act can be more involved, obfuscated, and time consuming than a regular subpoena.
    Above ground, vertical, and exchanging gasses.
    Now you see me | Now you don't
    "Relax, Bender; It was just a dream. There's no such thing as two." ~ Fry
    sometimes my computer goes down on me

Quote Originally Posted by 11001001 View Post
    Well, we weren't talking about terrorists... just the average user.

Anyway, using the Patriot Act can be more involved, obfuscated, and time consuming than a regular subpoena.
    Heh. Tell that to all of the people being wiretapped. :-P I didn't think the Patriot Act was so much about subpoenas, as it was evidence gathering. Which would lead to a subpoena anyway...

I thought the patriot act was supposed to bypass a lot of the paperwork that the authorities had to go through.

As far as terrorist being the only targets... it kind of reminds me of that South Park episode where you could only shoot animals out of season if they posed a threat to you. So they would just scream "It's coming right for us!", before blasting the bunny, or deer, or whatever. All they have to say, is "He might be a terrorist!"...
    Last edited by westin; November 5th, 2009 at 11:11 PM.
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST