http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Enterprise-...f-Unix-772359/

This is something I just found after checking my email, and I'm posting it here for anyone who's interested. I haven't read through it yet as I'm on the first page but, given that Unix currently has been with us for 40 years, I think we can all say wow about that. At least a little.

I don't know of really any other software that has been around in some form for this long.

It does have an interesting part to it though; What if the versions of Unix WERE smaller? would we still only be using one? Even back in the early days, Unix went to Berkeley and we got BSD, Vi, and TCP/IP. The internet was made on Unix, for Unix. The others had to catch up. The whole world as we know may have been very different had it not been for something that stared 40 years ago.

DOS has been around for a fairly long time now, but Microsoft stopped having DOS built right in with Windows NT / 2000 / XP, and for a good reason of course (Having firect hardware access like that is easy to use but VERY unstable) and what about Macs? Well, Mac OS has been around a long time too, but the current version is based on BSD Unix.

Anyway, I'm going to finish reading this and see if anything of interest is brought up.