Thread: Problem with startup

Hybrid View

Problem with startup

Yesterday, my PC began having an unusual problem. Upon starting up, the power LEDs and fans came on, but nothing else actually happened. At all. So, I took it apart, checked all the connections, put it back together, and tried it again. It was working again, and it worked for the rest of the day.

This morning, I try to turn on my PC again. This time, the LEDs and fans come on, then turn off for a few seconds, then turn back on again, but still nothing else happens. What the heck is going on?

It is a desktop PC I built myself with a barebones kit this last February. These are the parts inside it:

Shuttle SG31G2 Intel Socket T(LGA775) Intel G31 2 x 240Pin Intel GMA 3100 256bit 3D engine with a powerful 400MHz core and DirectX 9.0 glamor small form factor Black XPC Barebone

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16856101039

Crucial 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820146526

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST380815AS 80GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822148231

And Windows XP SP3.
    Any help or insight you could offer would be great. Thanks!

What is the wattage of your power supply?

Edit:

Just looked at the specs. That is only a 250 watt power supply. Try unplugging the lights, cd drives, anything that is not necessary for the system to run, and see if that makes a difference.

I would try a higher wattage on the power supply.
    Last edited by westin; September 24th, 2009 at 03:41 AM.
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

Keeping The Balance CybertecOne's Avatar
    I have an 'outside the box' suggestions;

Temperature could be playing a role here aswell. Aside from Westin's suggestion regarding the power supply (good idea btw), and aside from any faulty RAM/mainboard issues - as hardware components cool, they shrink ever so slightly, and as they warm up running, they ever so slightly expand.

This on/off process of a typical workstation and thus the shrink/expand process of the hardware and circuits could cause an actual break in the circuit when it cools next.

The following day you turn the computer on, but it doesnt work as the circuit is broken. As the computer warms up the circuit is reconnected and the computer works fine once more.

This is usually a result of cheap hardware, and although it is not the most common problem, I have seen the same issue over the years that can only be explained in this manner.... = the computer doesnt boot, but leave it run for a while to warm up then restart it, everything is fine.

Action: See if the computer boots normally after immediately turning it off - try it several times. Then try booting your computer first thing in the morning.

Note: if it happens to be my 'way out of the ballpark' though, unfortunately it is not possible to tell where the circuit issue might be. (could also be a loose cable/connector)

CTO
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    - Albert Einstein

Westin is pretty much on the nail with this one, it would appear that there isn't enough power.

Solution would be to purchase a higher watt power supply. Don't buy a cheap no name brand either, as they have a habit of blowing and taking as much hardware down with it when it does decide to crap itself.

Keeping The Balance CybertecOne's Avatar
    I would certainly have to agree t34b4g5 - westin is spot on

Oh, and when you get the new power supply double check the voltage switch is set for your area. Several years ago I had a brand new PC built from scratch, top end good graphics card and the same case/PSU combo I had used for a hundred other PC builds.

Plugged power in and BANG - Up until then I had always assumed they are set correctly, now days I check even when I know I just unplugged it from across the room. In this case, good news is there was no damage.

Good luck

CTO
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    - Albert Einstein

Disgruntled Postal Worker fourdc's Avatar
    I guess that means the USB cup warmer has to go!
    ddddc

"Somehow saying I told you so just doesn't cover it" Will Smith in I, Robot

One thing I didn't notice was anyone thinking a loose wire could be there. I wasn't sure until he said after putting it back together it worked fine. The Power Supply isn't the best, but I've got a few fans in my server with a 75Watt Power Supply, but I'd also check for loose wires.