Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Installing Windows 7 over a network

Question Installing Windows 7 over a network

Hi, it's me again.

I am attempting to install Windows 7 over a home network, using a Windows 7 based pc. The target computer, laptop rather, has a broken dvd drive. I dont have a giant usb flash drive to do a usb install either. I would like to learn how to network install as I think that it is crucial for a network admin to know. I've tried tftp32 to setup a pxe server but i cannot seem to get the target pc to connect any help is appreciated. Thanks

From Microsoft TechNet:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...48(WS.10).aspx (Deploying Windows 7)

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...37(WS.10).aspx (General Information about Deployment in case the Step By Step that I posted above doesn't work)

Hope this helps, and have a great day
    Patrick.

Hey, Chaos...............

Get that DVD sorted huh?............... it's cheapskates like you that are keeping me sober.........

Honestly mate, a DVD drive is so important with modern laptops, that I wouldn't have a second thought in repacing it.

Hey, thanks for the replies.

If it were mine I woulda been replaced the dvd drive, but my dad would rather replace the whole laptop . He made the mistake of letting the little kiddies get it . Its about 4 years old, so it has alot of potential. I thought I'd let him give windows 7 a try, to show what all the hype was about. I think he'll just pass it on to me when he gets a new one. I know I'll have to replace a few parts to get back up to par.

I actually did an upgrade over the network. so it has windows 7 running on it now, but for future references ill keep those links in mind.

I would however like to learn how to use a pxe server to do clean installs of OS's. Any help in this area is also greatly appreciated. Thanks

I got the Windows 7 student discount, and ordered it through a site called digital river. $30 for the pro 64b version. Though when I downloaded it, instead of an ISO, it was an exe. Now I am having to jump through a bunch of hoops to convert it to an ISO. Fun stuff.
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

Honestly .. can you get me one ! It's 200 for upgrade from business to professional..
    Parth Maniar,
    CISSP, CISM, CISA, SSCP

*Thank you GOD*

Greater the Difficulty, SWEETER the Victory.

Believe in yourself.

If you bought a computer in the last 4 months, you're pretty much eligible for the free upgrade. I thought you would just download it, but they ship it to you for free. Which, I would prefer to have the installation disc anyway.

I love converting stuff to isos. I dont think theres any good free iso converting programs out there. You might have to purchase one.

Quote Originally Posted by chaosclown View Post
    If you bought a computer in the last 4 months, you're pretty much eligible for the free upgrade. I thought you would just download it, but they ship it to you for free. Which, I would prefer to have the installation disc anyway.

I love converting stuff to isos. I dont think theres any good free iso converting programs out there. You might have to purchase one.
    And they wonder why swedes copies so much, 200 bucks for the upgrade here :-(
    thank god for MSDN :-D (always nice when it's free).

I used oscdimg to create the iso. It was a cmd line tool that was actually pretty painless. byte - you just need someone with a .edu address.

Here is the site: http://www.win741.com/

here are the instructions for creating the ISO: http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...e-a13fe03f0632
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

Westin - I know that mate.. But i don't know anyone ..

I was honestly hoping for some help..
    Parth Maniar,
    CISSP, CISM, CISA, SSCP

*Thank you GOD*

Greater the Difficulty, SWEETER the Victory.

Believe in yourself.