Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Music?

Music?

This has nothing to do with security, or, really, computers in general, so I'm putting this in GCC, but I'm just wondering what kind of music all of you like.

I've talked about music a lot on here and been surprised sometimes with the bands people here like, and how a lot of us seem to like some of the same stuff, but it's been a while, we have new members now, and some of us do change musical taste.

So, I will start:

Genres -

Industrial
    Punk
    Metal (Death Metal mostly)
    Rockabilly
    Psychobilly
    Johnny Cash. (I put this here because he's not quite Country, not quite Rockabilly though he did hep invent it, and not quite Rock either).
    Techno / Dance / Electronic (Put together since a lot of people seem to like arguing about what band makes what type of music when it comes to Electronic stuff, and some even say it needs to meet certain things to be considered Dance, so I'll put them all together).

Bands off the top of my head -

The Misfits - My favorite band EVER. Of any band, no one touches them. The Misfits have been my favorite band since literally the hour I got my first Misfits CD years ago. The FIRST album I ever bought literally had my scratching off a few band names off my school binder to make room for The Misfits being carved in lol. I can't think of another band I like more than them.

Samhain - Again, they are great. When Glenn Danzig was still with The Misfits he planned on doing a side project. Do to an Incident in Detroit however, he just left them and broke up the band, and started Samhain (Which you pronounce Sow-In) and I liked it too.

Danzig - Again, he leaves The Misfits, gets Samhain going, and then Rock Rubin wanted to make a sort of "Super Group" with Glenn at the center for his vocal talents. This is what became Danzig. BAsically the drummer was different lol.

The Ramones - One of the best bands ever!
    Dead Kennedys
    Black Flag
    TSOL
    Acid Bath
    Agents of Oblivion
    Deadboy and the Elephantmen
    Anti-Flag
    Alice In Chains
    Rammstein
    Cannibal Corpse
    Mortician
    BILE
    Lords of Acid
    DJ Icey
    DJ Venom
    DJ Attak
    Nekromantix
    Tiger Army - Even though the Bass player is a sissy with his little finger guard, they're still good.
    The Crystal Method
    Atari Teenage Riot
    Blood for Blood
    Body Count
    Bolt Thrower
    Burzum
    Coal Chamber
    Choking Victim
    Deftones
    Dope
    Exhumed
    White Zombie
    Wednesday - 13
    Murder Dolls
    The Doors
    System of a Down
    Stahlhammer
    Six Feet Under
    Rancid
    R6.3zist
    Powerman 5000
    NOFX
    NIN
    Mudvayne
    Mindless Self Indulgence
    Lunachicks
    Leftover Crack
    Le Shok
    KMFDM
    Jimi Hendrix
    Jack Off Jill
    Janis Joplin
    INDK
    GWAR
    Genitorturers

Banned
    I liked KMFDM back when it was random musicians involved in a project that Sasha K. had virtually no part in. I never liked Rammstein. Atari Teenage Riot sucked compaired to the solo stuff.

You should add Sheep On Drugs to that list. They deserve atleast that much. They're a walking disaster... even beyond comparison to these other petty-annie garage bands.

Well, I'm old....

Of your list, I recognized 17 names (and probably have only listened to about 14 of them). As for musical tastes, I like everything and nothing -- depending on my mood.

Some of my all-time favorites are

Judas Priest
    Helix
    Krokus
    Pink Floyd
    GWAR (Scumdogs of the Universe ROCKED!!!)
    Megadeath
    Wagner (Classical Music)
    Hank Williams Jr.
    Johnny Cash
    Stone Fury
    Dashboard Confessional
    Kid Rock

and a lot more that I won't go into. Typically when people ask me, I tell them I like everything from Mozart to Metallica, and I actually have my Mozart CD in the slot next to Metallica's "And Justice For All" CD. That typically gets a weird look from them.

Have a great day
    Patrick.

You have to like ATR spec, anyone who has a song about bashing those idiots with glow sticks has to have some decency at least.

Anyway, my ears are still kind of ringing from The Misfits in Detroit on Saturday. It's a lot better than it was Sunday afternoon when I got up by far, but I can still hear a slight ring.

From what I've heard from other people who've seen them in other places and then saw them in Detroit, they play WAY louder in Detroit.

As my My Wife put it; "They were SERIOUSLY loud! They were at least as loud as Skinny Puppy was" which is apparently intense.

They opened with Halloween. The bass bends concrete walls and floors, and a can of Monster I was drinking was starting to crinkle when they started playing. You could actually feel it as pressure in your mouth. I'd say that's pretty loud. I've been to a lot of shows and no band plays like The Misfits. (And if you're a purist saying Glenn is gone and they aren't The Misfits anymore, eat one. Robo was on Drums, as was back in the early days too, and Dez Cadena was on Guitar, and he has enough street cred to be considered a band member).

Just West of Beantown, though nobody from Beantown actually calls it "Beantown."
    As far as Genres go, I listen to just about anything besides Reggae and Jazz. Mostly Rock, though. In no order; the ones off the top of my head:

Led Zeppelin
    The Who
    Lynyrd Skynyrd
    The Doors
    Pink Floyd
    The Ramones
    Social Distortion
    Queen
    Pearl Jam
    Alice in Chains
    Stone Temple Plots
    The Beatles
    Rolling Stones
    Boston
    Aerosmith
    ZZ Top
    Blood Sweat and Tears
    America
    Creedence Clearwater Revival
    Crosby, Stills, Nash (and Young)
    Steve Miller
    Steppenwolf
    J. Giles Band
    Doobie Brothers
    Sex Pistols
    Black Sabbath
    Green Day
    Muse
    Mighty Mighty Bosstones
    Above ground, vertical, and exchanging gasses.
    Now you see me | Now you don't
    "Relax, Bender; It was just a dream. There's no such thing as two." ~ Fry
    sometimes my computer goes down on me

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    Gore you actually do act like a death metal kind of dude.

Gzus they give me the creeps!
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Cider View Post
    Gore you actually do act like a death metal kind of dude.

Gzus they give me the creeps!
    Lol what? How do you act like it? I love Death Metal more so than speed / thrash and whatever, because I like the lyrics more than black metal which basically repeats the same thing or adds in the occasional Elfs and things like that, where as Death Metal / Gore Metal are mostly Horror Movie based, much like Horror Punk which is where most of my CD collection is.

as a guitar player one of the first things i learned early on was to explore all kinds of music i like alot of things i get bored with one music , metal ,punk , country , even classical ,some of the old russian composers use of percusson kicks ass , some of my fav bands include suicidal tendencies, misfits ,danzig, exodus ,iron maiden , ramones, some underground country alot of texas dirt bands , johnny cash hank sr , just to name a few

Quote Originally Posted by gore View Post
    Lol what? How do you act like it? I love Death Metal more so than speed / thrash and whatever, because I like the lyrics more than black metal which basically repeats the same thing or adds in the occasional Elfs and things like that, where as Death Metal / Gore Metal are mostly Horror Movie based, much like Horror Punk which is where most of my CD collection is.
    if your into twisted lyrics check out maxwells silver hammer by the beatles , i always thought a metal band should cover it