Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Google OS: the end of the hard drive? - CNN

Google OS: the end of the hard drive? - CNN

With a strong focus on speed, the Chrome OS promises nearly instant boot times of about 7 seconds for users to login to their computers.

"We want Google Chrome OS to be blazingly fast ... to boot up like a TV,"
    I thought this was a pretty cool article but I think that it will be a challenge to convince users to buy it since you must buy a netbook specifically made for the Operating System.

I'm not entirely sure how they plan on storing everything on the internet. Does that mean that your computer is almost useless when you are not in range of a wireless network?

SOURCE: http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/11/20/google.os/index.html
    WARNING: THIS SIGNATURE IS SHAREWARE PLEASE REGISTER THIS SIGNATURE BY SENDING ME MONEY TO SEE THE COMPLETE SIGNATURE!

Hard Drives will be around a lot longer.

Mainly because right now...the read / write time of files online vs on your HD are dramatically different. Now maybe one day, when the internet is re-invented, and everyone is hooked into cloud storage via Fiber and what not, you might see the end of the hard drive..but right now..no way jose..
    =

must be heaven to work inside those datacenters

Hopefully Google isn't stupid enough to actually SAY that "This is the end of the HD" since they are going to need a LOT of them to store all the crap from users who no longer need them. That might make HDs shoot up in price which means in turn Google is going to be paying more for them. And considering everyone will know they were the reason for the drops in sales, they're probably going to be paying a little extra for each one now.

I want all of my information stored by google. They have always had the absolute best privacy policies!

Wait... what?
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

Yea I was gonna bring that up too, but figured anyone trusting Google with pictures of themselves in very open positions probably wouldn't care who it got sold to. Or the docs they save with a new recipe and how Google would probably have some little small text law about how they have the right to use anything they hold for you lol.

Quote Originally Posted by gore View Post
    Yea I was gonna bring that up too, but figured anyone trusting Google with pictures of themselves in very open positions probably wouldn't care who it got sold to. Or the docs they save with a new recipe and how Google would probably have some little small text law about how they have the right to use anything they hold for you lol.
    i just hope they are more careful with how they store user passwords on the operating system than ms in its too easy to get into a windows machine locked myself out of my xp box and was back in 2 minutes flat with password reset to no password

Disgruntled Postal Worker fourdc's Avatar

step away from that cloud and no one gets hurt

everyone step back an take a deep breath, don't march over the cliff like a bunch of lemmings.

Are you really going to trust anyone or anything with your life's work?

I am in week 10 of a 13 week course, Assessment for Prior Learning, I am trying to round up my AS degree issued in 1984 to at least senior status in a bachelor's program. To do this, I am writing a portfolio. That portfolio is on 2 different computers and 2 thumb drives ( I am anal about version control). There is no way I would trust that document to a "cloud", I've put too much work into it. I don't even trust it to one physical location!
    ddddc

"Somehow saying I told you so just doesn't cover it" Will Smith in I, Robot

There will always be a need/desire to store files locally.

Quote Originally Posted by JPnyc View Post
    There will always be a need/desire to store files locally.
    i agree ,what if the person cant get to a wifi signal or there internet gets cut off, they don't have access to there data then the computer is about as good as a paperweight