Thread: SBS2003 (POP / SMTP Problem)

SBS2003 (POP / SMTP Problem)

Scenario
    Company A have hosted email (hosted server) with pop access to the same.
    Company A have implemented SBS 2003 (sbs server) and are popping the
    mail into this from (hosted server)

The Problem
    User 1 ("user1@domain.com") at Company A has a blackberry which collects from (hosted server)

If user 2 ("user2@domain.com") sends User 1 ("user1@domain.com") an email intrnally from a computer conected to the local domain SBS2003 relays this internally so it never goes to (hosted server). This of course means its never seen on the blackberry. (and I get my balls kicked)

Unacceptable Solutions
    1. Stop using pop connector and set up smtp
    2. Any blackbery enterprise solution (its uk vodafone so it doesn't work)
    3. Collecting from SBS as its on non static IP.

I can't seem to find any way to force SBS2003 to relay all mail through an external smtp server althoughif anyone knows hot to let me know.

Would be greatfull for any and all responses and suggestions.

I would start looking for a different job. If I got kicked in the balls just because someone didn't get an email, I would be pretty upset. Having to wear a cup to work never makes for a good working environment.

Is there a particular reason that you have SBS on a non-static IP? I am not sure I am completely understanding your setup... Do you have an internal MX record in DNS?
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

AOs Resident Troll
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/300681
    E-mail to external recipients with the same e-mail domain causes NDR messages when using the POP3 Connector

For the blackberry you would be best to set up a static IP on the SBS and have the blackberry use the BIS and get email via the SBS using OWA (Outlook Web Access)

Works great.

MLF

hey there mark.. you obviously haven't had enough to drink, call us when you're all pissed up :P

Keeping The Balance CybertecOne's Avatar
    Scenario
    Company A have hosted email (hosted server) with pop access to the same.
    Company A have implemented SBS 2003 (sbs server) and are popping the
    mail into this from (hosted server)

The Problem
    User 1 ("user1@domain.com") at Company A has a blackberry which collects from (hosted server)

If user 2 ("user2@domain.com") sends User 1 ("user1@domain.com") an email intrnally from a computer conected to the local domain SBS2003 relays this internally so it never goes to (hosted server). This of course means its never seen on the blackberry. (and I get my balls kicked)

Unacceptable Solutions
    1. Stop using pop connector and set up smtp
    2. Any blackbery enterprise solution (its uk vodafone so it doesn't work)
    3. Collecting from SBS as its on non static IP.

I can't seem to find any way to force SBS2003 to relay all mail through an external smtp server althoughif anyone knows hot to let me know.

Would be greatfull for any and all responses and suggestions.
    There are 2 ways for this to work. Either set all users to a Primary POP account (assuming outlook) and the Exchange being the secondary account. All email sent will be pushed to an external SMTP server for delivery to the hosted mail server, that can then be retrieved by the exchange pop connector, and the blackberry.

That would be alot of work, depending on the user size.

Alternatively, to be smart. Go to Active Directory and locate the affected user and in properties, then the Email Address's tab. You will want to uncheck the 'automatically update...' box at the bottom of the windows.

Then manual add a smtp address which is the address of user@hosteddomain.com and set it to the Primary address. Problem fixed.

This will cause the exchange server to deliver the email to the external hosted mail server, over delivering the mail internally. Don't delete the other email address's as this will screw up your exchange address book, and delivering of internal mail.

Now, this solution only works if the hosted domain is a different namespace than the SBS domain. If the SBS box has the same domain name as the hosted mail server domain - then somebody didnt think through when implementing the SBS server.......

Come back to me with any questions

[edit] And make sure you are using the smarthost option in the SMTP Server settings (in exchange manager) and not DNS.... the smarthost address will be the ISP SMTP server [/edit]

CTO
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    - Albert Einstein