Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: What has become of AO?

AO had value for the frequently submitted tutorials / original content.
    Sure, but once a tutorial has been written, that is it..........what would you say was missing?

The content is still original, but general computer knowledge has increased by leaps and bounds.........

We don't have Einsteins, Gay Lusacs, Boyles, Newtons or the like these days either...................

The pioneer days are over......we are now in middle America

We are? You mean you moved over here and didn't tell me?

I am still repainting the silo before Eileen moves in.........anyone wanna buy a third owner Atlas ICBM? ...........hmmmmm, I suppose there is always e-bay?

Well, as long as you're here now, might as well try craig's list.

Quote Originally Posted by gore View Post
    No, that was that British guy who was like Psychic or whatever. One of those guys did in fact say it was faked. Ghost Hunters is probably the only one where they don't fake it, and considering my Uncle has been in a place they were filming and had no reason to lie to me, he said personally that it was exactly like you see on TV other than they leave cameras running, and generally stay at the place over a number of days because it would be hard to try and do all that in one night. So no Ghost Hunters isn't faked, it's one of the very few that's not though.

Cannibal Holocaust didn't bother me, neither did Cannibal Ferox / Make them die Slowly. I have both, and I also just the other day found my copy of "The Bloody Dead" which is awesome.

PETA was pissed at those two Cannibal Movies because all the scenes where Animals are killed, weren't special FX, they actually killed them. I'm not into cruelty, but I did like when they ent to the guy who made it and said it was wrong and he basically said "They were going to eat the thing anyway, all I did was film it" like when that big Turtle gets dismembered.

I have.... probably 200 Horror movies, and a good chunk of those are rare / hard to find Grindhouse style movies (Grindhouse as ikn the type of movie played in a Grindhouse, where it's some form of exploitation of Gore film, which is where my name comes from, not the movie that came out a few years ago).

I have Exploitation / Horror / Gore / Splatter movies from the late 1800s all the way to the past few years. Took me years to build that collection, and this past week, I found my Halloween Comic Book. A special Edition that hasn't been for sale in over 10 years or so. It's the very first edition, and it's the "Super Chromium Platinum Edition" or something like that, 2500 were made, and mine is not only sitting with the certificate of authenticity, mine is STILL in the wrapper / Plastic Sleeve that you have to tear to open, and hasn't ever been opened.

It came in this like air tight Plastic casing and to open it up and pull the Comic out, you have to actually tear it open, so mine is pretty nice since it's never been opened. I found one on Ebay ONCE and it was not only open, but it had a tear on the cover, and the bid was 500 dollars so I'm pretty happy about mine.

I tried finding the one I have on the Chaoscomics web page, but it isn't listed. At all. I found it on Ebay like I said, but the web site for Chaos Comics doesn't even have it listed as something they did. They have all kinds of Michael Myers / Halloween Comics on there, but not this one. I don't know why it's not listed though because I wanted to see how much they sold it for, and ended up not ever finding it, so when I checked Ebay and saw one with a torn up front cover going for 500, I was like in shock.

It originally sold for like 20 dollars, and the closest thing to the one I have that I've ever seen was one that was open, but in good condition without any damage on it, and it was going for like almost a thousand dollars, so mine must be worth a small fortune considering it's totally Mint.

It's like the Magic: The Gathering cards I've been playing with and collecting for the last 16 years, I have a bunch of those, and a lot of them are worth a lot of money. (The Beta Black Lotus card rated BGS 10, is currently valued at over 100,000 dollars). And this is a GAME.

I used to have most of my movies typed out, but, with the number I've gotten over the last 3 years, it's like to hard to actually pull every movie out, and list it compared the the list I already had with like 200 movies on it, so I don't even try now. I should because I have a great collection, but it would take a LONG time.

By the way, this is the Comic:

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedi...dition-michael

They want like 10 dollars to tell me how much it sells for, and they can lick my balls. I found another one on Ebay and the thing isn't cased or anything for like less than 40 dollars, but at the same time, I found another, for 400. So, someone is REALLY not sure what it's worth. Which is annoying because I've literally seen one ripped for almost 500.

And, that card:

http://www.pristinecomics.com/produc...highest-graded
    im getting that way with records collecting any hardcore punk metal or old country records i can find im soon to get a turn table with usb interface so i can play them on an online radio station i dj at

Quote Originally Posted by nihil View Post
    Sure, but once a tutorial has been written, that is it..........what would you say was missing?

The content is still original, but general computer knowledge has increased by leaps and bounds.........

We don't have Einsteins, Gay Lusacs, Boyles, Newtons or the like these days either...................

technology in general has become less about discovery and experimentation and more about the average Joe having the best and newest it proves harder and harder to make new discovery's and breakthroughs to keep people interested myself im always experimenting take my guitar effects pedals i make for example im constantly experamenting with components to make new sounds and discover new ones, what is needed is technology to be put back in the hands of those that love doing what they do as opposed to those that don't give a rats a$$ and are in it to make money

technology in general has become less about discovery and experimentation and more about the average Joe having the best and newest it proves harder and harder to make new discovery's and breakthroughs to keep people interested.............................what is needed is technology to be put back in the hands of those that love doing what they do as opposed to those that don't give a rats a$$ and are in it to make money
    Exactly!.....................now, I know I have a go at those who come on here and moan about "the good old days"..................but I do go and fire up 286/386/486 machines every now and again

The PI/133 I consider modern because it plays the old games I like..........I am old, so I don't want a fast machine now do I?

I have PIIs running 98, 98SE and ME, and NT4 on a PIII..................yeah this is sticksville, and I still get support requests..............

Quote Originally Posted by nihil View Post
    For AO at least... I think this pretty much sums up that all the contributors have gone elsewhere. There's plenty of pioneering going on, much of it used to be discussed on AO, guess not anymore. Shucks

What's up Soda!? Been a long time.

For AO at least... I think this pretty much sums up that all the contributors have gone elsewhere. There's plenty of pioneering going on, much of it used to be discussed on AO, guess not anymore. Shucks
    So where are you hanging around discussing the latest technological challenges and advancements? I'd like to check it out. I check Slashdot about once a day, and I have a subscription to Wired. That's about it.

Also, do you still get on IRC? Where at?
    My Corner of the Intarwebz: Jeremy Dean Online

Quote Originally Posted by romanticcowboy View Post
    im getting that way with records collecting any hardcore punk metal or old country records i can find im soon to get a turn table with usb interface so i can play them on an online radio station i dj at
    You should see some of the stuff WE have MY Wife has a great collection, with some old school Elvis Vinyls, and we both have boxes Johnny Cash, and we both have Ramones stuff.