Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: What has become of AO?

Quote Originally Posted by westin View Post
    Holy crap. This thread makes me sad. I haven't read much, if any of it. Stop complaining and post interesting topics to discuss. The most read/posted-to thread on this forum is just talking about how much it sucks! I wonder why we have gone downhill . If you were a newcomer, and saw this thread, would you feel like joining, posting, sticking around? The very members that make this forum great are all just complaining constantly.

Check some news sites, post interesting headlines, spark discussions, take sides that you normally wouldn't, just to stir people up.

Close this thread!
    Didn't I say that a few times already?

I haven't closed this as of right now, because I don't think it's ALL bad...

I mean, like I said, I've pointed out, I can't even count how many times, not just here, but a few years ago when this topic was brought up before, which it has quite a few times I might add, I had said even then basically "If you guys spent half the time on making interesting or at least good threads as you do on making threads about how there aren't any of those threads, we'd be fine"...

I was basically saying back then to quit whining about how nothing seemed interesting except complaining, and that maybe instead of making threads complaining about how there aren't any interesting threads, to get off their asses and MAKE some.

I've been here for a total of 8 years. That's almost a decade... And I've seen a LOT of things since then. Like "AO is getting boring, there aren't any good threads now" and "What is going on it's so quiet here" and "Why is this place turning into a tech support center?"... And even then I was saying "Well, maybe if you got off your ass and posted something good instead of this bullshit it would change?" and "How about you get off your ass and CHANGE things! Seriously, buy a Punk Rock CD, pop it in, and realize that YOU can change things, all by yourself.

People bitched then too about this exact same thing. The difference? There isn't one... AO HAS NOT changed that much. It really hasn't. Back when I joined in 2002, we, the members, MADE AO what it was. JP was an incompetent cocky ***** just like he was until he got banned by N man, he didn't post much, he didn't pay anyone for anything, he didn't even ask people to post! People just DID it, and made this an interesting place.

Now? Jupiter buys it, offers to PAY people to redesign the old BeOS looking format, and people BITCHED!!!! As far as I know, that 50 dollars was never sent out because the winner said they didn't want it.

Then, they offer to pay people for Tutorials. I used to have a Contract with Jupiter when I was writing for another site about Computer Security and so on, and it was awesome, it got me some cash, and it got me writing more. They offered actual money, but people were to busy using JPs ass for a hat saying how big the ads were to do anything else.

Hell, I used to get complimented all the time about my sense of humor, and the way I posted, and then slowly but surly, people whined about THAT too... Seriously, people said I was to much, sent staff back before I was a moderator that I should be banned, and complained all the time about me. What changed?

When did so many tight assed nerds get through my Bastard filter?

I should link you all to GG Allin on Jerry Springer. Put some Fear back into you that everyone isn't a Windows administrating do what you're told book taught moron like some of the seniors here who complain about me.

Ahhh that feels better. *Puts gold star next to talking about feelings* Buahahaha.

how it started for me

Quote Originally Posted by gore View Post
    Didn't I say that a few times already?

I haven't closed this as of right now, because I don't think it's ALL bad...

I mean, like I said, I've pointed out, I can't even count how many times, not just here, but a few years ago when this topic was brought up before, which it has quite a few times I might add, I had said even then basically "If you guys spent half the time on making interesting or at least good threads as you do on making threads about how there aren't any of those threads, we'd be fine"...

I was basically saying back then to quit whining about how nothing seemed interesting except complaining, and that maybe instead of making threads complaining about how there aren't any interesting threads, to get off their asses and MAKE some.

I've been here for a total of 8 years. That's almost a decade... And I've seen a LOT of things since then. Like "AO is getting boring, there aren't any good threads now" and "What is going on it's so quiet here" and "Why is this place turning into a tech support center?"... And even then I was saying "Well, maybe if you got off your ass and posted something good instead of this bullshit it would change?" and "How about you get off your ass and CHANGE things! Seriously, buy a Punk Rock CD, pop it in, and realize that YOU can change things, all by yourself.

People bitched then too about this exact same thing. The difference? There isn't one... AO HAS NOT changed that much. It really hasn't. Back when I joined in 2002, we, the members, MADE AO what it was. JP was an incompetent cocky ***** just like he was until he got banned by N man, he didn't post much, he didn't pay anyone for anything, he didn't even ask people to post! People just DID it, and made this an interesting place.

Now? Jupiter buys it, offers to PAY people to redesign the old BeOS looking format, and people BITCHED!!!! As far as I know, that 50 dollars was never sent out because the winner said they didn't want it.

Then, they offer to pay people for Tutorials. I used to have a Contract with Jupiter when I was writing for another site about Computer Security and so on, and it was awesome, it got me some cash, and it got me writing more. They offered actual money, but people were to busy using JPs ass for a hat saying how big the ads were to do anything else.

Hell, I used to get complimented all the time about my sense of humor, and the way I posted, and then slowly but surly, people whined about THAT too... Seriously, people said I was to much, sent staff back before I was a moderator that I should be banned, and complained all the time about me. What changed?

When did so many tight assed nerds get through my Bastard filter?

I should link you all to GG Allin on Jerry Springer. Put some Fear back into you that everyone isn't a Windows administrating do what you're told book taught moron like some of the seniors here who complain about me.

Ahhh that feels better. *Puts gold star next to talking about feelings* Buahahaha.
    this site is what you make it ,i started out as a punk kid in my 20s knowing very little about modern systems, i was a straight up ass in the beginning but i sat down and shut up and started learning , circumstances don't allow me to get on as much as i used to for now but i get on occasionally when i can and make a habit of setting aside at least an hour to go threw posts and see where i can offer help, im to the level now that i can offer to help more , i think the more i learn the more i see i need to learn its never ending i think the first thing i tell anyone that asks to learn from me is to never think you know it all i think if more people in ao have that attitude the willingness to explore innovate and experiment that's what keeps sites like this going ,ya the site has go thru changes but ill be back ive learned a lot cause of this site ,i plan to contribute more ,if anything id recommend to anyone if you learn something pass it on in the long run its better for everyone

I would say that all forums have declined apart from those dealing with sports fanclubs and gaming. Those, I hear from friends, are on the uptake.

It does make some sort of sense to me, as fanboys love to bitch and moan, and the cost of entry and transport* is horrendous over here

Gamers are on the increase as high speed broadband gets rolled out more and more, and more people actually have kit that is capable for it?

What I can say with certainty is that all the technical support sites that I visit have declined dramatically over the past few years.

Just a thought

EDIT: * (above)

Over here gas is £1.18 per litre, and there are 4.75 litres to an Imperial gallon.

So, that gives us 1.18 x 4.75 = £5.60 per Imperial gallon

1 Imperial gallon = 1.2 US gallons so that gives us 5.60/1.2 = £4.67 per US gallon.

I will use £1 = $1.55.

£4.67 X 1.55 = $7.24!!!!!!!!!!!!

Public transport is just as expensive, so fanboys don't go to as many away games?..........they use the internet to chat instead.
    Last edited by nihil; June 1st, 2010 at 10:41 PM.

shocked

I used to log on every 2nd day and go through all the posts (of which there was heaps), never posted that much as only tried to post when I could offer meaningful input or ask a meaningful question rather then "because I could". I think this site like many forums has suffered from the "'cause I can" poster for a while.

Like others I haven't had the opportunity to look at the site as much lately due to work commitments/environment but was shocked when I logged on today and very few posts from the last few weeks.

Best we can do is keep asking meaningful questions and providing meaningful feedback rather then flaming new questions 'cause we can...

I was thinking the same thing. I am curious which boards everyone moved on to? I am also looking for a few good linux boards if you know any.

One of the only Linux forums I've ever used was the one here:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...php?forumid=14

Linked from the Slackware website so it is going to take you to those ones, but they have forums for a lot of distros. I was there once in a while to look around. I've Honestly rarely had problems in Linux where I had to ask really because, well, especially these days, Linux set ups are so easy that most stuff just works out of the box. Even setting up a server isn't exactly more than a few minutes for FTP, or SSH. Apache might take a few extra steps, but it's all been trimmed to the point that the GUI tools most distros have will just ask you what you want, and then set it up for you.

Gore:

I agree, I was more looking for new and upcoming applications. As people test new apps, I can find things that would benefit my environment.

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    I just get annoyed that every time I try and post a reply, it says I have to log back in. It seems like I am automatically logged out ever 2-3 minutes.
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

I just get annoyed that every time I try and post a reply, it says I have to log back in. It seems like I am automatically logged out ever 2-3 minutes.

EDIT:

I have just started to get the same thing.............also I get taken to the "forums" page rather that the front page? I shall post it in "Oops a bug"
    Last edited by nihil; June 22nd, 2010 at 07:29 AM.

yers, ghosts still lurk...
    Every now and then, one of you won't annoy me.