Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast

Thread: What has become of AO?

We didn't shut anyone down, the owner of the site sold it. We didn't force him or anything.

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    . I will be interested in finding such a site coming up pretty quick - I need someone to pen-test my server (once I get the POS back up next week >.<).
    Go google the metasploit project. That should help you test your environment.
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

1. Antionline is too slow (speed-wise - that's really my biggest complaint..this is a vBulletin running on what?)
    2. The people who made AO have moved on. I'm not talking about JP (although he's problably "moved on" as well).
    3. The moderators are awfull. Gore, Negative, Red, the Johnno guy... \

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgis View Post
    3. The moderators are awfull. Gore, Negative, Red, the Johnno guy... \
    gore - I can count on one hand the number of times someone has ever complained about me. Probably because I don't close threads every 5 minutes like some were doing. I also have solved MANY problems between users. And the rest was mostly deleting and banning Spam, and moving threads to the proper forum. I haven't done anything wrong.

Negative - He's been banned from here for almost a year for being an ass.

Red - I have no idea who you're talking about. There is no "red".

Johnno - Nihil? Again, considering that he and I are the only ones here anymore, and we take on the whole thing ourselves with Joe's assistance.... You've made one post after joining a year ago. Hard to take that seriously.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5kPUFxXYLs

and as a note to the whole thread, I still don't know why everyone is still on what once was.....

Quote Originally Posted by SnugglesTheBear
    and as a note to the whole thread, I still don't know why everyone is still on what once was.....
    Yeah, I don't get it either. Who started this ridiculous thread anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by TH13
    Go google the metasploit project. That should help you test your environment.
    Thanks Horse. Yeah, I fooled around with it a while back, but I'll give it another go. What I really want to know is - what is the likelihood of compromising a SOHO with the following:

Linksys WRT54GL wireless router - WPA2 Personal wireless security, forwarding ports 80 and 22 to the Slack Server.

Slackware 13.0 web/file server - Samba, SSH and Apache w PHP. IPTables setup to allow no more than 3 failed SSH login attempts before blocking attempts for 10min. No forms, fileshare available via .htaccess login and password (all strong passwords).

Windows XP Home Ed Desktop - fully patched, updated, no exploitable services running
    Windows XP " " Laptop - " " " " " " "
    Windows 7 64 Ultimate Desktop - " " " " " " "

Mind you, when I say "likelihood of compromising," I mean from the outside, assuming everything inside the network stays the same.

I may just start another thread for this question...
    My Corner of the Intarwebz: Jeremy Dean Online

Banned
    I hit them up without even trying to be honest. This... I'd probably flat out ask for htaccess then upload my own scripts.

The likelihood of compromise is a function of the determination of the one trying to compromise your environment and the value/reward for doing so.

This is the same argument I make when someone asks me to place an absolute value on residual risk. The dirty little secret is, you can't.

That said, should *every* variable be correct, you shouldn't be an "easy" target because you're doing the basic due dilligence of attempting to limit access.
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by wiskic10_4 View Post
    Yeah, I don't get it either. Who started this ridiculous thread anyway?

Thanks Horse. Yeah, I fooled around with it a while back, but I'll give it another go. What I really want to know is - what is the likelihood of compromising a SOHO with the following:

Linksys WRT54GL wireless router - WPA2 Personal wireless security, forwarding ports 80 and 22 to the Slack Server.

Slackware 13.0 web/file server - Samba, SSH and Apache w PHP. IPTables setup to allow no more than 3 failed SSH login attempts before blocking attempts for 10min. No forms, fileshare available via .htaccess login and password (all strong passwords).

Windows XP Home Ed Desktop - fully patched, updated, no exploitable services running
    Windows XP " " Laptop - " " " " " " "
    Windows 7 64 Ultimate Desktop - " " " " " " "

Mind you, when I say "likelihood of compromising," I mean from the outside, assuming everything inside the network stays the same.

I may just start another thread for this question...
    You started it

Also, that's a neat set up you have there. I've been using Slackware 12.0 on my FTP Server for... A LONG time. Back when I was setting it up, I think I had 10.0 on it, and I didn't upgrade until 12.0 because for some reason, 11.0 didn't like some of my stuff. So I just stuck with what worked. Eventually, when I upgraded, I did it in a manner to coincide with me adding another Hard Drive. I figured if the machine is going to be down for a hardware upgrade, I might as well upgrade the OS too.

Worked out well. Also, remember in Slackware to do this:

vim /etc/securetty and to add only one. This way Root can only log in from that console. Fairly common, but useful none the less

And Horsey, nice to see you got off your ass and came around again! Now if you'd get your ass up here for a visit!

Don't get used to me being here. I simply poked my head in to see if there was any life left here. Clearly there is not. I know it's a hard pill to swallow but internet.com has not seen the light here. The site is not providing value to real security professionals. The site is more or less a level 1 helpdesk with some lingering post wh0re$ who post for the sake of posting. It's sad really. This was once a wonderful place that I loved being part of.

I will poke back in again in 5 or 6 months to see if anything has changed. In the mean time, back to real security issues...