Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Windows Defender

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    JPnyc, I agree with Antivir being one of the best, I was manly pointing out that defender and Antivir serve different purposes (unless you pay for Antivir).

I have yet to see any AV program that gets 100% detection rate. Even in the cases where they get over 99%, it seems like they have a crapton more false positivies.
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

I'm sure we never will. That's why I always use online scans from a couple of different companies like Kaspersky and trend micro or panda. They all miss stuff. Panda missed the same java exploits that ms security essentials did. Kaspersky and antivir got it.

I like Avira................I use it on most of my machines (free edition of course)

What I like is that the free version gives you a lot of customisability (please notice how I invent new words for the English language? and fellow AOers get first go)

I like that it warns you about the chance of false positives if you set the extreme paranoia levels

I agree, so far. I've only been using it for a week or less. Also has an absolutely brilliant feature that every AV should have; two interfaces, one dumbed down, one not. A great idea, that way your program can appeal to the computer savvy as well as the computer illiterate. And definitely the smallest footprint I've ever seen in an antivirus program, at least in a whole slew of years.

HYBR|D
    i use microsoft security essentials on my win boxen's. it picks up everything i throw at it, and is perfect on my little netbook as it uses **** all resources and is easy enough for the mum dad non tech savvy idiots to setup and forget about.

Hmmm.................

Avira is a good solution for me as I can put it on machines that don't or won't run XP/Vista/7.

This is a seaside resort as well as a shellfishing port. It also has a relatively high proportion of retired people. They tend to get old ex-corporate boxes, that will run 2000. I would guess that 2000 must be about the most pirated MS OS ever?..............judging by the number I come across .........Hell, I still have a machine running 98SE for support purposes????...........(and a few games )

Another thing I like about Avira, is that when I login, it scolds me for using an administrator's account, and provides a link to a KB article at Microsoft that tells you why

Quote Originally Posted by JPnyc View Post
    security essentials just misseda couple of Java exploits that Antivir caught and removed. I found out they were there by using Kaspersky online scan. That's when I switched. I uninstalled security essentials and installed avira.
    The problem is that some programs always catch something the other misses. It could be the Security Essentials was catching things Antivir wouldn't. Choosing the right AV is tricky.
    sandwich.

I know, that's why I always doublecheck and triple check with whatever online scanners are available. I also run root kit revealer or other root kit scanner weekly.

HYBR|D
    Quote Originally Posted by JPnyc View Post
    I know, that's why I always doublecheck and triple check with whatever online scanners are available. I also run root kit revealer or other root kit scanner weekly.
    You need to stop visiting those pr0n sites so often Joe, that way you don't need to be so paranoid.

??????????????

You need to stop visiting those pr0n sites so often Joe, that way you don't need to be so paranoid.
    ?????????????

Do you really expect me to believe that you don't have a custom-built, dedicated, pr0n browser?

Ack phttt!, as Bill the cat would say