Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Partition Security been disabled

hi nihil,

I tried roadkil copier but it happens that its not working too.

Access denied

and 0 files copied

This is a very said part for me.

if there was a registry hack for or some thing give my security tab back or at least a copier like nihil suggested
    Question is not "Why are you Online"
    Question is "Why are you Off line"

Hi AO's

nihil roadkil didnt worked out for me.... later on i googled alot but could not get a chance to get the ownership and permissions to get my drive back

finally i knew a way out to get my data back. so i did the following

1) i quick formatted my Partition.

2) i used easy recovery professional in which it gets the formatted partition data back.

3) it took me whole night to get all the data from the formatted partition.

and finally i got rid of the issue i have been facing

and finally i got to ask windows to have a customer support where they can assist with such kind of issues

any

You know how much easier this would have been had you not removed all the accounts? Or grabbed a boot able Linux CD, mounted the drive, and copied all of it over? Anyway, I'm glad you got it done, and found a way to do it, but I think you should seriously consider marking this one down to experience, and do actual Back Ups of your important stuff.

You don't need a bunch of money to do this either, there are a LOT of options you can use, like these:

Get a CD or DVD writer, and then just use whichever CD or DVD burning software you like, and make the back ups yourself. Basically you'll want o burn this as a "Data CD" so that way when you put the CD or DVD in the drive, you simply copy it over to the machine you want.

You can also add to this, and save space, by using compression of some sort. I for example, have a mix for this; I use ZIP files if I HAVE to do it, but, I don't think it's that great. I personally like 7-Zip.

You can download Pea Zip, 7 Zip, and Rar, for just about all OSs. I have Rar, Unrar, Pea-zip, and 7 Zip installed on my Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux, and BSD machines. So I can use anything I want. In BSD I generally like Bzip2, and the same goes for Linux. You get REALLY good compression.

Another option is buying a USB or External Hard Drive. You only need however much disk space as your most important Data.

Another option is setting up an old machine as an FTP server. I do this too. You can find REALLY old computers generally cheap, and even a 486 that most will give away for free, will work for this. You can take a 486, find some Hard Drives for it, and set up Slackware or FreeBSD on it, and use it for storage.

Hi gore

Thanks a lot for the suggestions.

i planned to take the back just before i got my partition got crashed. but this thing happened so sudden which left me vunerable.

any ways i have taken the back up now and i hope for no further data loss

Regards
    KK

You're welcome. What kind of Back Up method did you go with? I've had some stuff happen to me where I've lost even my back ups before, so I do a mixture of things like I was saying in my other post. Some of the REALLY important stuff I have, will be backed up on up to 6 or so Hard Drives, and then, on USB stuff too.

For example, my first album, is on about 10 CDs, a USB drive, a USB Hard Drive, both Servers, every desktop, my Laptop, and then I have it on ZIP drives just in case, because I have the WHOLE Album on it, like, the original WAV files I made, the original Project files I made when I made the music, all the tracks, and the layout, my mixing stuff, and every one of the "Project Files" I made where I was ready to make CDs with it, and the original track list, complete with every song in MP3 and WAV format.

Hi Gore,

I usually Take a Back up on a HDD in a simple format nothing much i feel thats the most reliable and than i can excess those files from logmein from anywhere as i keep traveling around

Regards
    KK

Sounds like a plan then. I think we've all had at least one screw up or so with Data, at least once. It comes with the territory and all

Like I said, I've screwed up before too, and I was pretty pissed off about it because I couldn't even access the drive at one point.

I remember one time, I was... Wow this was a WHILE back, like years ago, where I was getting ready to set up a Tri-Boot scenario on my machine, because it came with Windows 98 SE installed on it, and then, I installed Linux, and then I wanted to install FreeBSD 4.0 on it (So it was that long ago heh) and I got FreeBSD installed, and told it to leave the MBR alone, and then, once FreeBSD was done, I looked, and the one labeled DOS wouldn't boot anymore, and Linux would sort of boot, but I basically couldn't get Windows to load anymore, and the part that was REALLY stupid of me:

I LITERALLY had just finished deleting ALL of my back ups. I was thinking "Well, I'll delete them, and then I'll go and make a new back up once I get this installed" because for some reason that seemed like a good idea at the time. So I deleted ALL of my back ups, thinking once the install was done, I'd make a new back up since my back ups were a little dated and I wanted some newer ones.

Obviously this was not only a bad and stupid idea, but it meant, I had no way to make back ups on a Hard Drive where a good chunk of it was no longer working.

That was when I started making better back ups. Basically I started burning CDs full of my stuff and storing those along side my ZIP Drive, which I still have and use heh.

Hi there KK,

Perhaps I should have explained it a bit more clearly?

Roadkil's software will not work from within the operating system you had because you didn't have an account with sufficient authority. And you were booting from the affected system.

You would have needed to do what I am doing right now on another box. I have a 2.5" drive I have just removed from a laptop, inserted into a USB drive caddy and attached to the "mothership"..............I have total rights over the mothership and can do anything I like to the slaved USB connected HDD.

The mothership boots Win 2000 and the laptop's drive Win XP .........neither are aware of eachother, and the only thing that would stop me would be if the HDD itself was password protected.

With a modern laptop you should also have the option of changing the BIOS sequence to boot from an external USB drive, and saving to that.

@gore:

Yeah, a pretty dumb thing to do on reflection...........you obviously got over-excited.

However, that isn't the most common failing in my experience. I have come across quite a few incidences of people making backups and suddenly finding that they don't work when they need them.

I even had a personal experience where we were going to do a major upgrade over a public holiday weekend. After hours Friday, I got the Ops to make three backup sets. I then told them to run them through the backup system validity checker.............all three failed due to faulty media.

I phoned and canceled the IBM SEs and spent the weekend down the pub
    Last edited by nihil; July 1st, 2010 at 10:20 PM.

Yea, it was a pretty crap time trying to figure out what went wrong. Turned out that at the time, it happened from time to time, where other OSs wouldn't boot afterwards even though you told it NOT to touch the MBR at all. And it did anyway, heh. Ah well.

And yes, media not working after a back up, from what I hear, Floppy Disks were REALLY bad for that back in the day.