Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how to by pass writing privileges in windows

how to by pass writing privileges in windows

I'm having a problem with some system, i wonder is there a way to elevate ,in windows XP or 7 or any other version, the privileges.
    the problem is:
    1) the BIOS is password protected
    2) the user account does not have writing privileges to disk C (hell, even the control panel is protected)

so the method of using booting disks are not an option cause i cant configure the BIOS boot order
    and the methods to use the log on screen not an option either.

what I'm looking for is a method that will give me the writing privileges to disk C
    I don't mind if a solution is some source code in any programming language that by passes this limitations or some tools
    any way I'm for any solution, prefer a solution that does not changes the original administrator password or has the ability to restore the old one

any idea, solution, walk through, step by step are welcome
    just a student for software engineering so have a limited knowledge in all programing languages equally

please somebody help!!!

AOs Resident Troll
    Depending on the system.....you maybe able to reset the bios??

You could always remove the harddrive and slave it into another system and access it that way.

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Sometimes there is a jumper on the board that will reset the BIOS password. Depends on the model. As far as gaining more access to the system, there is always KonBoot. Be very careful though, if this is a company machine, what you are doing could get you fired or worse. If it is a school machine, you could be expelled or worse. I am sure you get the idea.

edit: Crap. I guess I missed the part saying that boot disks were out of the question. Can you not tap F12 [most systems] to get a boot menu, without actually changing the boot order? Or does the BIOS password restrict that as well?
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

1. Do you own the machine?
    2. Why do you want to do this?

Good question nihil. It sounds like some kid trying to 'hack' a public system/terminal.
    meh. -ech0.

nihil and ech0 lets set it straight that I'm not a kid, much older then you think,
    although what I'm looking for is illegal to do but yet its not illegal to know how.
    the knowledge is legal, but the decision what to do with it is always in mans hands

the system is in my university and the PC's are locked behind a padlock so opening the PC could be troublesome although i have some skills in lock picking.
    the problem with the system is that the public partition is being deleted and restored every day, so keeping some of my files on the public machine is impossible but if I'll be able to store it on System disk C:\ then i by pass it and that is what I'm trying to achieve

Antionline's Security Dude instronics's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by igkutikov View Post
    nihil and ech0 lets set it straight that I'm not a kid, much older then you think,
    although what I'm looking for is illegal to do but yet its not illegal to know how.
    the knowledge is legal, but the decision what to do with it is always in mans hands

the system is in my university and the PC's are locked behind a padlock so opening the PC could be troublesome although i have some skills in lock picking.
    the problem with the system is that the public partition is being deleted and restored every day, so keeping some of my files on the public machine is impossible but if I'll be able to store it on System disk C:\ then i by pass it and that is what I'm trying to achieve
    What you are trying to achieve seems to be AGAINST the policy of that system's owner. If they wanted you to store files on their system, they would have given you a way of doing so. As for what nihil said, you seem to miss the point.

1 - You dont own the sytem.
    2 - What you want to do is against their policy.
    3 - In other words, what you want is to crack their security implementation for your own benefit which is illegal!

I dont think you will find help here for what your intentions are, since they are non ethical, illegal, and just plain stupid, since there are so many other ways to keep access to your files when you need them. The only kind of files that i can think of in your situation might be malicious code, ie. keyloggers, backdoors, rootkits, etc....! If it were only for your school files, a place to have access to what you really need for your school, there are SO MANY WAYS of doing so without breach of policy, or cracking the system. Just to name a few:

- File hosters
    - Drop box
    - Emails
    - Some browser functios such as opera unite & opera link
    - Portable media
    - Many more solutions......

If i were the admin of the school where you are at, and i caught you doing what you intend to do... i would prolly call the cops or have you expelled at the least....

My point is... that i cannot find any valid reason for what you want to do!

How ever... if it where your system, and its like you claim, just for the knowledge.... the best way to go about it is to reset bios (meaning you have physical access to the box), and from there on changing boot parameters etc... on YOUR OWN system.
    Last edited by instronics; September 17th, 2010 at 10:21 AM.
    Ubuntu-: Means in African : "Im too dumb to use Slackware"

Well, my experience of that sort of software (DeepFreeze etc) is that it also resets the system image, so what you are proposing probably wouldn't work anyway, as your files would be erased?

Also if you can access the system partition then so can anyone else and they would have access to your files.

Don't you have an account on a fileserver to store your files?
    Last edited by nihil; September 17th, 2010 at 11:25 AM.

Create some sort of failure within the machine. Log a help desk call.

Wait for help desk to log into machine in attempt to fix issue.

Recover cached logon credentials.

Purely theoretical, of course. I would *never* do such a thing in real life.
    Real security doesn't come with an installer.

They seem pretty clued up so they should clear the cache afterwards.

In fact, I wonder if user credentials are actually required or cached at all as these appear to be public use computers?

I still think that the whole system gets re-imaged each day so it wouldn't achieve much anyway.

Also, I suspect they would just re-image the machine anyway, and I would guess that software runs a system and doesn't require a login, as it appears to run automatically each day?
    Last edited by nihil; September 17th, 2010 at 06:54 PM.