Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Apple OS vs Windows 7

Quote Originally Posted by Zorolord View Post
    I think Apple are very greed[y] as a company...
    They pretty much all are; Microsoft, Apple, Oracle, Perot, Dell, HP, Insight, etc., etc., etc.

One of the panels so call experts was a mac-lover (could use stronger words) her anwser to problem was buy a Mac - I thought to myself if she cannot install Office on Windows how on earth would she manage on a Mac. Since then I have had very anti-mac sentiments.
    Mac users are as computer illiterate as the rest of them.
    “Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers

Hmmm,

The user of Windows couldn't install Office (she had no knowledge of PC's)

If you cannot install Office on Windows I don't see how you could actually know how to use a computer? We must be talking Office 2000, which installs itself, as did Office 97. All it asks you for are language/location and the 25 character product code. I don't remember anything else, but if there is, just take the default.

When you first open it up you are prompted to contact MS and register/activate it.

Sounds more like a user confidence issue to me. If they have never installed a Windows application before, they may well not know how easy and intuitive it is?

As for suggesting a hardware solution to what is obviously an applications installation issue, that is about as moronic as you can get

Luser: "I don't know how to install this application on Windows"

"Expert": Get a Mac (which won't even run the bloody application so you won't have to worry about it)

Incidentally, sending it to Dell and paying 110 (which would not have included the software) was plain stupid, when a local repair shop would have done it for 20 for 5 minutes actual work!
    Last edited by nihil; October 20th, 2010 at 10:12 PM.

Banned
    As for suggesting a hardware solution to what is obviously an applications installation issue, that is about as moronic as you can get
    Install Linux. It won't even recognise your hardware!

"Expert": Device drivers? Screw you... write your own support for it! LoLoLoLoL ROFLROFLROFLROFL!!!

Spec, you know what the definition of an "expert" is don't you?

An "ex" is a has been and a "spurt" is a drip under pressure.

rebmeM roineS enilnOitnA steve.milner's Avatar
    I wouldn't swap my MacBook Pro for any other laptop.

But I fully admit to having been brainwashed by Steve Jobs....

Regards,

Steve
    IT, e-commerce, Retail, Programme & Project Management, EPoS, Supply Chain and Logistic Services. Yorkshire. http://www.bigi.uk.com

Nihil sorry for coming back to this post so late, she should of kept to paper and pen. If you can't install an application click click next what chance do you have. One of the more sensenible panel members suggest she gets a nottie nose teenager to install it for about a tenner that creased me up. Still fine that comment amusing after 10 years..

A agree

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zorolord
    I think Apple are very greed[y] as a company...

reply from Broken Crow
    They pretty much all are; Microsoft, Apple, Oracle, Perot, Dell, HP, Insight, etc., etc., etc.

Yes but Apple are at the top of list, do you know (I guess you probably will) that Apple based on turnover or the most profitable company on the face of the earth.

Yes but Apple are at the top of list, do you know (I guess you probably will) that Apple based on turnover or the most profitable company on the face of the earth.
    Is Apple more profitable?

MSFT (Microsoft) has an 84% profit margin.

http://finapps.forbes.com/finapps/js...s.jsp?tkr=MSFT

GOOG (Google) a 69% profit margin.

http://finapps.forbes.com/finapps/js...s.jsp?tkr=GOOG

AAPL (Apple) a "lowly" 44% margin.

http://finapps.forbes.com/finapps/js...s.jsp?tkr=AAPL

Apple is more in line w/ HP which has a 42% profit margin. Dell operates at only an 18% margin. Of course, all these vary thru time. I don't disagree with those who take issue with Apple's business practices. I just see them as part and parcel with other tech companies, that's all.
    “Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers

I am not surprised, given that hardware is a fair proportion of Apple's turnover.

A software house just has development and support costs then the rest is pretty much pure profit before overheads and taxation.

Also remember the cost of delivering software is way different from hardware, and you don't have warranty claims as it either works or it doesn't. I also think that Apple suffer from their own anal retentiveness and have to field most customer support calls themselves............. check the M$ EULA, if you buy an OEM version M$ clearly state that they don't support it other than patches and the knowledge base. You are on your own or have to go to your OEM supplier.