Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Apple OS vs Windows 7

Apple OS vs Windows 7

Hi Ppl

I have been asked by a friend as he is retiring what is the benefits or Apple PC over a Windows computer. I personally wouldn't touch an Apple because Windows 7 is great anyhow I want non-bias view. Feel free to correct me if I any information I put down in completely wrong.

My limited (if any) understanding of Apple Macinitosh are

Pro's

I am told they are based on Unix more stable secure?
    They have no viruses possibly reduced malware too?
    4th Largest computer manufacturer 7% of computer market.
    Great with iPhone

Negatives

There are more expensive to purchase and maintain over Windows based PC's,
    They have superior graphics processing or viewing (I don't know what I mean there lol)
    No support for flash all these rudetube (sorry youtube) pages etc won't work with a mac unless you use a emulator (what though)

Windows

Pro's

Really easy to use anyone can fix them even me sometimes lol
    More product compatibility probably 90% software is Windozes only.
    I would imagine most companies provide software solutions including online support Windows.
    Easily connect to other hardware devices such as xboxs, storage devices.

Negatives

Most machines get infected easily.. Lots of security wholes which require constant updates.
    The operating system is very heavy lots of resouces disk space, ram etc to run

Cheers
    ZL

HYBR|D
    Really depends on what this friend plans on using the system for? Either Apple or a Windows based machine are just as good as each other and each off course have there pro's n cons.

Personally i would just suggest to purchase the 1 that best suits there needs, and how comfortable the person feels using either setup.

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    Who says macs dont have malware o_0
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Hi Cider,

I am moving this thread into Operating Systems, as it will get on the front page, a better response, and it is an interesting question.

I have just the machine for him.........hasn't been unpacked since I moved 8 years ago. Manufacturer's original box, full instructions, keyboard, mouse, bundled software, games.

Runs OS 6.x, but I have a legit, unopened copy of 7.0 (apart from the fact that a mate who works for them over here "liberated" it?)

Now, it is made by Apple, and has some sort of Motorola processor in it, and works just fine. BUT it ALSO has a 75MHz Intel PI/75MHz processor, and runs Win 95 950B build 1212!

Apple do not admit to ever having made such a beast, so I think that it is a quite valuable collectors' item?

On the other hand I would never buy Apple unless they were the price of a box of Kleenex, and just as disposable. Somebody brought me one some years back. I looked at it and told her that it needed a new CMOS battery. I take a look inside and find that the damn thing is weird, and hard (cold?) soldered to the MoBo!!!!!. We are talking the 486/PI era when PCs had had replaceable button cells for years.

That is just corporate greed looking to rip people off on aftersales "service".

"To err is human, To forgive Divine, neither are Marine Corps Policy"

I guess I am just Old Testament? and Steve Jobs should suffer the "Lot of Job"

Quote Originally Posted by Zorolord View Post
    Apple

Pro's

I am told they are based on Unix more stable secure?
    They have no viruses possibly reduced malware too?
    4th Largest computer manufacturer 7% of computer market.
    Great with iPhone

Negatives

There are more expensive to purchase and maintain over Windows based PC's,
    They have superior graphics processing or viewing (I don't know what I mean there lol)
    No support for flash all these rudetube (sorry youtube) pages etc won't work with a mac unless you use a emulator (what though)
    Yes, OSX is much more stable in my experience. Seldom do Apples need reimaging. There are MAC viruses, but nothing to the extent of Windows viruses. One of the advantages of Apple is they control both the hardware and software channels, but this is a disadvantage, too, as there are not nearly the applications available, though there are emulators under which you can run Windows apps like Office.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorolord View Post
    Windows

Pro's

Really easy to use anyone can fix them even me sometimes lol
    More product compatibility probably 90% software is Windozes only.
    I would imagine most companies provide software solutions including online support Windows.
    Easily connect to other hardware devices such as xboxs, storage devices.

Negatives

Most machines get infected easily.. Lots of security wholes which require constant updates.
    The operating system is very heavy lots of resouces disk space, ram etc to run
    Infected Windows computers can be expensive to clean sometimes, depending on user ability. I wonder if Windows costs that much less the OSX to maintain for the average user because of the viruses. Many Windows users, even if they aren't spending money to clean stuff up, lose a lot of time on virus and spyware infections. There is a wider range of hardware and software available to Windows users, which is a big appeal. And there are more available techs to work on them than there are for OSX users, who often have to search around for someone capable of supporting OSX.

For someone without much tech savvy and the money, OSX is a good option. And even if you are tech savvy, it's not a bad choice. Windows is good too though, and it's the OS I use every day. If I ever switch careers from IT and shed all my current hardware, I'd probably opt for an Apple laptop. Just my two bits.
    Last edited by brokencrow; October 19th, 2010 at 04:20 PM.
    “Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers

Banned
    Apple PC over a Windows computer.
    You mean Apple "computers" over a Windows PC. When apple charges you thousands just for documentation and they take a one-third share over any money made from the software you've developed... then its not a "personal computer" by any means.

Quote Originally Posted by The-Spec View Post
    "...and they take a one-third share over any money made from the software you've developed... then its not a "personal computer" by any means.
    Hahahahaha...no wonder there's fewer apps for OSX!

“Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers

I think Apple are very greed as a company, however if it you have plenty money and just want a stable computer then perhaps it the way to go. However guess not for a developer. I just fine the vast majority of Apple users are right up themselves. If somebody has a problem with Windows they say buy an Apple. The one quote on a computer program made up of eledge computer experts. The user of Windows couldn't install Office (she had no knowledge of PC's) she paid dell £110 to install Office for her not sure if that included Office or if that was extra this was about 10 years ago. One of the panels so call experts was a mac-lover (could use stronger words) her anwser to problem was buy a Mac - I thought to myself if she cannot install Office on Windows how on earth would she manage on a Mac. Since then I have had very anti-mac sentiments.

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    well we have just launched a product for Mac so I have to test it. I have got Vmware 7.1 and im going to try put on snow on there.

If it works, why not buy a PC for half the price of a mac and virtualize it ...
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

I think Apple are very greed as a company
    They certainly are! they even try to rip you off with after sales service.......... hard soldering the CMOS battery to the MoBo. Using non-standard batteries.

And I won't go into replacing the L-ion battery in a G3 or G4

OK, in their favour.............the kit is well made and reliable and probably contains better quality components than a lot of the cheaper PCs.

I suspect that this is a "marketplace thing". For years PCs have been "built to a price" because of the fierce competition............. that has never bothered Apple who pretty much charge what they please, so can afford to use the best components and QA processes.