Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Linux desktop OS a no go

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar

Linux desktop OS a no go

"It kills me to say this: The dream of Linux as a major desktop OS is now pretty much dead.
    http://linux.slashdot.org/story/10/1...-Linux-Is-Dead

WHat do you guys think?
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

I don't know, I have a buddy in San Francisco that is running office applications in Ubuntu with "Crossover Office" + OWA for email on 10k + desktops across the country.

Linux is dead as far as becoming a desktop operating system that requires no user understanding - but lots of bells and whistles.

If you want to use *nix, then you must have smart admins. It takes a lot of time and trial and error to successfully deploy *nix systems to end users in a way that the end user just has to "click" and not think.
    09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0

"It kills me to say this: The dream of Linux as a major desktop OS is now pretty much dead.
    Well, the desktop is dead anyways. Enterprises will increasingly move towards cloud and server based solutions such that all an average user will need on their desk is an intelligent terminal to serve up a page full of links (icons).

That could work in favour of Linux, as it doesn't take rocket science to run an intelligent terminal. The OS is transparent to the user...........all they see are the apps?

In the home, those home entertainment centres are becoming more and more popular, and once again the OS doesn't really matter so long as it works?

On other fronts, people seem to be going for small portable devices and intelligent phones, or at best, a laptop, which they probably mostly use for synchronisation purposes, and backups?

I suspect that Linux will benefit from this as it is much more flexible and scalable in its deployment. With Windows you pretty much have to take the whole bloated lot or nothing.

We are now entering the era of the server wars, and people will write their apps to run on the winner

Anyway, those are my thoughts
    Last edited by nihil; October 18th, 2010 at 07:26 PM.

Well, the desktop is dead anyways. Enterprises will increasingly move towards cloud and server based solutions such that all an average user will need on their desk is an intelligent terminal to serve up a page full of links (icons).
    I still like the idea of being able to use my computer if my internet connection goes out.
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

I still like the idea of being able to use my computer if my internet connection goes out.
    That is generally not a corporate requirement, and if it were, you would simply build redundancy into your systems as part of your business continuity planning.

As for the home, I am in my living room right now. There are 5 computers in here. If I lost my broadband then two of them have 56.6 dial up modems as well.

If that doesn't work either, then I can go and or watch TV, Hell! maybe even have a conversation with my wife!!!...........after all, her internet connection would be down as well

Nah! I have it sussed, I would take my laptop down my local bar and use their free WiFi.

I see what you are saying though (honest), but you and I actually use a computer as such. My point is that in a lot of environments you don't really need one.

Quote Originally Posted by westin View Post
    RAMAN Brother!
    09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0

Linux on the desktop always pretty much was a dream.

The reality? Linux has the same problem as OSX: apps. Emulators like Crossover Office go a long way.

Hats off to those who make it happen.
    Last edited by brokencrow; October 19th, 2010 at 03:06 AM.
    “Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers

Its a shame but its true; there are still too many areas that Linux lags behind in that prevent it from being a true contender for desktop use. The one that comes to mind is Gaming, I had World of Warcraft running via Wine on an i7 based system with 4gb of ram and a ATI 5730 card and it couldn't make it over like 15 frames a second which is pretty unacceptable given the hardware. iPod support is still hit or miss and often suggests you to jailbreak the device in order for it to work properly.

I bet this story generated all kinds of braying across the blogging universe, and I wonder if RMS realized that the "fierce ideology" statement was more or less aimed directly at him since hes the most vocal (and sometimes outright nutty) zealot in the *nix area.
    You're not your post count, You're not your avatar or sig, You're not how fast your internet connection is, You are not your processor, hard drive, or graphics card. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of AO
    09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Antionline's Security Dude instronics's Avatar
    I totally disagree.

First off, i find it a disgrace that an article like this is posted on slashdot. I would have understood if it were a paid FUD from M$ or something. Fact is, a lot of my customers and friends use linux ONLY. For work as well as for home. True, some jobs/business's require some special application that only windows has, but NOT ALL business's do. I have successfully implemented linux solutions for a variety of schools, universities, cafe internets, restaurants, hotels, and a bunch of private users as Desktops. And guess what... im not talking here about some bubunuti version, im talking about slackware with a customized fluxbox edited for everyone's needs depending on how or what their intention of using it is.

As for games.... i successfully play Lineage2 Freya, Counterstrike, and C&C using wine on my slackware system,and i have no signs of frames, lower quality or anything that disturbs me. Reason i can not give an example of more games is simply that those mentioned games are all that i play.

Another fact is that every time i speak to my customers or friends, and ask them if everything is ok, if they want windows back again... they threaten to rape me if i even think about installing windows again for them. If windows truly is so all-powerfull..... then i wonder why so many people change to other systems.

All i have mentioned here so far is for desktop use. This is not to mention the non-desktop use that i have successfully implemented for various scenarios (servers, firewalls, etc...)

Linux as a desktop is NOT dead. Its the corporate greed and the control of companies that hinder linux becoming more known. And if it takes a bit more brains and time and reading to use a linux system... since that seems to be one of the main excuses that people use windows... then let those people stay with their windows. But articles FUDding linux is wrong, stupid, and will never succeed.

90% of arguments against linux have a simple solution to solve these issues. But people dont want to solve issues.. they just want a big red button that says: "Click me to ready your mails".

10% i admitt, just wont work with linux.... but that 10% is truly of NO importance for a desktop system.

Linux as a desktop will never die, not even if it became illegal.
    Ubuntu-: Means in African : "Im too dumb to use Slackware"

Hmmm,

Fact is, a lot of my customers and friends use linux ONLY. For work as well as for home.
    On the other side of the coin, absolutely none of mine do even though I have tried to introduce them to it (the more computer literate ones that is).

The only success I have had is with a guy who works in a local hotel. He is Spanish and really likes Red Star Linux which is Argentinian in origin and based on Debian 5 (Lenny?). To get an English version of Windows to work in Spanish takes some messing about...........this distro is Spanish to the core.

If windows truly is so all-powerfull..... then i wonder why so many people change to other systems.
    They don't, other than in your dreams perhaps? I doubt if more that 10% of PC users have any choice at all. It is either a corporate dictate or what you were sold in the store. It is simple human nature that once you have paid for something you just go and use it, rather than mess about looking for some free alternative. Hell, you have just paid for something that works..........why bother?

Computers are commonplace these days, and MS have positioned themselves to satisfy the dumb user. I know of a fair number of non-computer types who go into a store and buy a PC on price, just like a washing machine, refrigerator, microwave or TV. And they expect it to work like those domestic appliances. They are not interested in OS choices, they just want it to work!

Another aspect is that MS is a multi-billion dollar corporation, and it has a marketing budget to match............... Linux isn't and doesn't.

There are far too many Linux distros........ that makes people nervous. With Windows there is just the current version and older ones that are still supported or not. A much simpler and easier to understand scenario for your average user. And Windows will update itself automatically; Linux doesn't, so the user has to do something

And each Linux distro has its zealots, fan bois or whatever, so they don't even agree amongst themselves. As Jesus said "a house that is divided against itself will surely fall", and your own comments on Ubuntu do seem divisive to me, to say the least

Anyway, I see the thick client desktop rapidly becoming a thing of the past, so Linux is well and truly stuffed in that area.

However, with the advent of thin client architecture, and server/cloud based applications, I see Linux as a winner, because the OS is transparent to the user, and Windows is a very entrenched thick client OS.

Microsoft have won the desktop battle but they have not won the war. They are currently badly positioned because their OS is heavily thick client orientated and inflexible. If Linux cannot take advantage of that situation then you might as well wipe it from your drives and join the herd

Just my thoughts

EDIT:

Another thing just came to mind........... when you get run down by a short bus; who the hell is going to support these systems you have set up?
    Last edited by nihil; October 21st, 2010 at 12:26 AM.