Thread: Car audio

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar

Car audio

I suppose this isnt the forum but its the only forum im apart of constantly so I thought I would ask, and its got a tech aspect to it I suppose

Want to install it myself, start to finish. Does anyone have any experience in this, maybe point me to a book to get me going? Been doing some reading but not knowing much does hurt, and google is only your friend if you know what you need.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

HYBR|D
    I used to do car audio installs back in 1995, i doubt things have changed much.

It's all pretty straight forward, just remember to disconnect + terminal from the battery before you start messing with the wiring.

Any particular questions?

hmm, i dont mind putting it all in, the issue I am worried about is the wiring from headunit to battery and then to AMP.

You base must be on a low freq and voice is on high or the other way around?

I am looking for voice clarity , not super bass at all.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

HYBR|D
    Depends are you planning on running a set of 6x9 speakers through the amp or you going to strictly use the amp to power a 10inch or 12 inch sub/s?

If your using subs, is your box ported or non-ported?

will you be running split n centre's up front either mounted in the dashboard or in the front door area?

Now for power you use the normal wires that are already in place to power the head-unit, and you run a power lead with inbuilt fuse from the + terminal on the battery into the Boot of the car, ( Running the cable under the carpet off-course. While laying this cable you should run the RCA cable from the head-unit into the boot at the same time. )

Now you plug the RCA's leads into Input, connect the Power lead from the battery to the Positive switch on the amp, and run a Wire from the Earth and bolt/Screw onto a metal part of the car in the boot area.

Speaker wire goes from the Amp to the Sub or 6x9

now for more clarity you will need to configure the head-unit then manually adjust the high/low on the amp

HYBR|D
    Also i did a "Quick" google, and i feel this site http://www.caraudiohelp.com/how_to_i..._a_car_amp.htm will explain in better detail and it has a few pictures.

In the head-unit area the wires should already be in place, usually car audio places will stock wiring looms, each head unit brand have different looms so you will need to note down your head-unit and model of car to get t he correct loom
    Then it's a matter of connecting the loom to the head-unit plug the other end to the wiring loom in the dash area.

If you need a universal colour chart that details the different wires and what they are let me know.

Yo got a 1200 AMP 4 chan, 800 SUB.

Going to put the sub on two channels and put the 300w 6x9 on each of the remaining channels.

Mids I can run off the front loader.

Wiring is already there but I was always under the impression that if you wires are too thin the amp will drain your battery?
    Albert Einstein

HYBR|D
    Quote Originally Posted by Cider View Post
    Yo got a 1200 AMP 4 chan, 800 SUB.
    What brand of Amp? Is it a Mono block? Brand of Sub & Size? 10inch 12Inch ?
    Going to put the sub on two channels and put the 300w 6x9 on each of the remaining channels.
    This is were you are going to have issues, as you will either have to tune the head-unit + Amp for bass or clarity.

If the head-unit has 2 RCA outputs you can run 2 seperate amps, that bigger 1 for the Sub/s and a smaller 300w mono amp for the 6x9 in bridge mode.

The bigger amp will share power with the small amp.
    Mids I can run off the front loader.
    Personally i would run the splits n 6x9 of the head-unit running treble faded slightly to the rear, most head-units are capable of giving enough power to give a nice sound.
    And the amp will power the sub giving a nice bass line. Or grab a smaller 300w and use that to power/tune 6x9's
    Wiring is already there but I was always under the impression that if you wires are too thin the amp will drain your battery?
    Here's the wiring kit i would suggest

• ROCKFORD 4CH 4GA AMPLIFIER WIRING KIT
      5M 4GA Red Power Cable
      1.8M 8GA Red Power Cable
      1M 4GA Black Ground Cable
      1.8M 8GA Red Power Cable
      6M Blue Trigger/Remote Cable
      9M 16GA Clear Speaker Wire
      2 Pairs of 6M Twisted Pair RCA Leads
      Inline AGU Fuse Holder with 60 Amp AGU Fuse
      2 x 4GA Distribution Blocks
      100% Pure Crystal-Oxygen Free Copper (PC-OFC)

Draining the battery will happen if your run the amps while the car is not running.

If you use to small not proper rated wire you can melt wires causing spark resulting in fire fire fire.
    Last edited by HYBR|D; October 14th, 2011 at 04:32 AM.