Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu e-mail client

HYBR|D

Ubuntu e-mail client

Hey everyone.

Got an Acer travelmate 3290 and just slapped a fresh install of that netbook ubuntu,V10.10 but it appears when i load into there netbook desktop i get a empty screen, the wallpaper loads but there's no menu's, and when i move the mouse around empty white boxes appear.
    Yet i'm able to logout, and change the desktop to the ubuntu desktop and everything runs sweet well sweet enough for the specs of this laptop.

And yes previously i did vocally let everyone know how i feel about all things Ubuntu & Opera.

Anyhow i noticed they have that evolution e-mail as default i don't like it and i would prefer something that acts/looks similar to outlook express 2007.

Curious to know if there's any suggestions for an e-mail client that would be similar to outlook.

cheers

Antionline's Security Dude instronics's Avatar
    How about Mozilla Thunderbird :

http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/thunderbird/

Been my default mail client for years.
    Ubuntu-: Means in African : "Im too dumb to use Slackware"

HYBR|D
    I considered Thunderbird, but over the years it's gotten rather bloated + i've found the whole updating process to introduce new issues kind of like that firefox browser, plus i've read negative reviews about it over the last month or so.

It is on my list but i'm sure there has to be something else out there. Free or paid i'm not to bothered.

Don't use Thunderbird.

Look at either ditching Ubuntu for Debian if you like that sort of thing, and, at the very least, get KDE installed and use Kmail. It looks more like Outlook than what you have. Kmail, TKrat f you want to rock it old school, and Gnumail... There's also a few more, like, I think 70 or so email apps you can pick from, but most people will stick with known apps. I personally Use Opera, Kmail, and Sylpheed. You may like Sylpheed / Claws, because it works really well, and it's fast and has very little in terms of resource needs.

Actually, just get Kmail and Sylpheed. There's a related app to Sylpheed which you can read about by basically just looking up Sylpheed. Ubuntu should have a package for it, and if not, use the Debian one.

HYBR|D
    Hey Allen.

I originally thought about just throwing 5.0 on, i'll probably end up re-formatting and getting rid of this ubuntu install as it's giving me a few issue's already.

anyhow does the kmail have hotmail intergration? For instance with outlook 2007 i can use the little app from MS called outlook connect this allows me to use outlook to connect to the various hotmail/live e-mail accounts plus my isp e-mails to interact, instead of having to manually log into each hotmail/live account to check the different e-mail accounts.

finally worked out how to disable this blasted bluetooth within ubuntu, now to fiddle with the other annoying things i dislike.

I think you can get something for that, but I'm not sure, as I don't really use my Hotmail, but there is some stuff for that, like "Gotmail" and others that can check it for you.

Antionline's Security Dude instronics's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gore View Post
    Don't use Thunderbird.
    Oh, what speaks against thunderbird? Is there a problem security wise... or....????
    Ubuntu-: Means in African : "Im too dumb to use Slackware"

No idea, I just think it's to damned bulky. I mean don't get me wrong here, it has it's uses now and then, and it looks pretty and all, but when it comes down to it, I'll personally select from a list like this:

gore's list of OK and good email clients that don't suck as much:

K mail - K mail has a very nice look, a nice interface to it, it's easy to use, has a totally customizable everything for the person (like me) who thinks default looks make coders look like idiots, and for the "I don't care how it looks" person, you can just leave it the way it is.

The Address Book is simple, it works good, and K mail itself has excellent filters. It also works incredibly easy.

The system requirements have gone up a little over the years, but what hasn't? All around I like it. And I can even use it on my crappy test machine. The test machine I use, is totally old:

Intel Celeron Processor, which is 433 MHz, single core from like 10 years ago. 192 MBs of RAM, and an ATI Video card which has a whopping 8 MBs of Video Memory.

If something works on this machine, it's probably pretty neat lol.

Anyway, to continue now:

Novell - Evolution - I do like this. It's nice looking, it has a cool interface, and the old versions that came with older version of SuSE Linux, were awesome, and had really cool features.

Sylpheed / Claws - This is what I generally use on my test machine. It's incredibly low resource, and it works awesome. The interface is nice, and considering the low resource needs of it, it's actually got a LOT of features, and even Themes. I was amazed when I first started using it how good it was. I figured anything with such low resource requirements, would probably be usable, but probably lack a lot of features. Well, this is one that shows that you CAN in fact have a GOOD Email client, that has all the features you'd expect from a modern client, and on top of that, even Themes / Skins, to make it look cooler to you, and easy to set up to boot. I recommend it.

Opera - I don't really care if someone doesn't like Opera. The Web Browser itself is amazing, and looks great, and it's stable. The Email Application built into it, is amazing. I use it every day. It too, works on my horrible slow test machine.
    =======================

I'm pretty sure there are more out there, but for Linux / BSD, and only listing the GUI ones, these are usually what I use. For NON-GUI clients, I like these:

Mutt - My favorite Mail Client. The ONLY reason I don't use it now, is because I can't with the ISP I have. That's literally it. I used Mutt for a long time, and LOVED it, and then, one day, my ISP did something to their Email Servers, and I couldn't use it anymore. Because Mutt doesn't Send Mail, it checks mail. You have to use Send mail, Postfix, or something else to send email with it, and you have to use fetchmail or getmail to actually grab the mail. All that and it STILL is my favorite. That tells you something huh? Lol. It tells you that even though the Configuration file is almost 10 MBs of Text, and I use to literally configure my addy book right into it's configuration file, I STILL Loved it. I had an inbox with almost 30,000 emails. And it still loaded up in seconds.

Pine

Elm

============================

Anyway, that's the clients I use. If you end up looking into Sylpheed, you'll find that it has a twin that uses the SAME configuration files, and so if you set up one, you've set up both lol.

By the way, did you try it yet Coffee cup?

HYBR|D
    Yep doing a little testing atm, i had to re-partition the hard drive as ubuntu was using the full drive.

anyhow i went and grabbed the 64amd netinstall of debian 5.0 the installer ran fine had to plug the laptop into the intertube's via ethernet as i couldn't find the password for the router so i couldn't connect wireless.

the net install put me into a Gnome gui and everything seemed to work except it wasn't detecting the wireless hardware, it yet had no issues letting me use the bluetooth device.

in fact this install of debian was easier then the work arounds i had to work through to get it to install on my msi u100 netbook. I've actually turned that into a hackintosh and only recently updated to the latest V of OSx. Runs really nicely considering it's lower end spec runs better then it did with a stripped down version of windows XP Home.

anyhooooow i'm going to start from the top of the list you gave me in that e-mail Allen. i'm going to install in Ubuntu give it a play, then install the client in Debian give it a play.

any of you guys installed and tried that new beta of adobe flash from the labs? it's meant to give 64bit version of linux better GPU acceleration so instead of the cpu doing the rendering then displaying some of the API's get thrown straight to your GPU thus quicker rendering.

I was actually gonna reply and ask if you'd gotten my email or not, but you answered me already heh. Anyway, I was going to ask you about a few things:

The version of Debian is 5.0? I can say from experience that you'll have very few issues with it. I'm running it on my other desktop right now. I have all the versions since 5.0, and I had the 5.0.4 CDs already burned, I just don't really know of any reason I should upgrade to it, or, do a fresh install, because it works perfectly the way it is.

I did install the new version on my Test machine just to see how it worked, and, as usual with Debian (after 3.0) it worked like a charm.

I too use the Net Installer. I like it personally, and I generally just do a stripped installation, (Basically select software it has for you to select) and then from there, I'll install everything else myself with APT or if I have the GUI going, I'll use Synaptic, which I'm quickly becoming a fan of I might add.

I haven't used Ubuntu in a LONG time, because when I did use it, it was just to see if I liked it. It was alright I guess, but I personally would rather use Debian. I even still have some installation CDs for Ubuntu, 5.10, which is the last time I touched it.

I tried to give them away but no one wanted any lol. I dunno, the whole way it uses a Root account (Or the lack of one those versions all had) I didn't like at all. I LIKE having a Root account.

Also, the hardware finding capabilities, though nice, aren't any different from Debian, or Slackware, or SUSE for that matter, so really the only reason for to use Ubuntu, was basically to test it out. Once I had it on a machine for like a week, I dropped it.

Debian on the other hand, which, I admit, I didn't like at first, because I hated the old installer from back in the day, the installers they use now, are cool, easy to use, and work great. I've used the GUI installer too, which is also nice.

I think Debian is definitely going to be up there soon. I mean, Ubuntu is SUPER popular, and the fact that Debian is how they made it, eventually people will probably want to at least try it.

The first time I installed Debian, I didn't like the installer at all like I said, but.... I can't remember now which version it was, but they released a new version of Debian, and one of the things they were talking about at the time, was the fact that they had a new installer, so I thought "Well, that was my main issue with it other than the ancient versions of packages they use....Might as well give it a spin" so, I grabbed a Net Installer, installed it, and liked it.

I now have it installed on my other Desktop, which was my main desktop for a long time before getting this one for Christmas Last year, and I still use it. It's still 5.0, and it's still awesome.

I use it for things like Email, Web Browsing, other various desktop usage, and, I also use it as my main music production machine. It has the best speakers of any of my machines, so, when I'm making music with LMMS, I can hear the lower bass sounds I use in some of my music, and, of course, apt-get install lame to turn that into an MP3 is fairly quick too.

So yea, I can't say anything bad about Debian, and I won't. I Love it This machine and my test machine, and my FTP server, are all running Slackware, but then my Laptop, which also has Debian on it, I sometimes use for music too.

That's actually how I started lol, I grabbed LMMS and just used headphones since most laptops don't have enough sound capabilities to make any music on them using only the Laptop speakers, but with some good headphones, it works fine.

My Wife bought me some Skull Candy head phones a few years ago actually, and that's all I use now. My Mother in Law actually bought me a new pair last year for Christmas, and so now we have two pairs of Skull Candy Head Phones. They really are nice. And if you make music at all, I'd recommend those, since the cost of them, is about half what you're going to pay for anything even remotely close to that quality.

Anyway though, on your Debian install, just type this as root:

apt-get update && apt-get install kde windowmaker lmms xine pidgin fvwm-crystal

You'll like it lol. When I first started using Debian I didn't know APT could take more than one package at a time, so, I used to do it one by one, and then I tried one day, to see if it could accept more package names, and it did, so, I started doing it that way. About a year later I finally used Synaptic, and one thing I'll recommend if you haven't used Debian before; Open Synaptic, then configure it to get MORE.

The default only really shows you what is on the servers for the average user. But the easy way to get better stuff, is to configure it and select more stuff, like the user submitted stuff, and the Nvidia, ATI, and other stuff. You'll be happy you did because there is WAY more stuff in there.

Anyway, let me know how you like those email apps And remember to grab Sylpheed! Even a Pentium 2 can run that, and the Themes it has, are great!

In Debian, just use Synaptic, and make sure you've added the extra repositories like I said, and then refresh. Once you've got that done, search for Sylpheed and grab everything. There's like.... A LOT of packages heh. But grab them all and see what you like.

Keep me updated

EDIT:

Here is what I was talking about in my previous post about the Sylpheed Twin :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sylpheed

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claws_Mail

Claws was apparently a Fork, and it's basically the same thing, but with different features. I'd recommend both, because like I said; Once you configure Sylpheed, you've configured both lol. I noticed that one day while I was setting up some mail accounts, and I opened up the other one and saw it was somehow linked. Lol. Anyway, enjoy man.
    Last edited by gore; December 3rd, 2010 at 06:14 AM.