Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Wikileaks

Disgruntled Postal Worker fourdc's Avatar
    Spec,

Having raised the young lady, she's 22 now, I have some idea of her ethic and I could be wrong but i don't think she'd SELL OUT her fellow service members on a lark, for money or what ever reason Manning did. Walker got money from the Soviets.

Of course I wouldn't be on her firing squad, (though there were a few times as a teenager she might have pushed me to the edge). I'm sure Manning's family are aghast that their son/brother would do such a STUPID thing, and I'm sure as family, they are hoping the punishment is lenient.

Spec, I don't know if you served or not but there's a certain teamwork, esprit de corps or whatever you call it that is developed in the military, (firemen and policemen sometimes develop it as well) sometimes it can go the wrong way (ie covering up wrong doings.) and it can build intense loyalties, literally to the death.

Manning had an outlet: his chain of command, US Congress. Wikileaks was the wrong choice. That's why he's in trouble.
    ddddc

"Somehow saying I told you so just doesn't cover it" Will Smith in I, Robot

Quote Originally Posted by brokencrow View Post
    Democracy is based on power, like any other form of gov't. The free press
    is window dressing. Mao, for all his wrongs, was right about one thing: all
    political power stems from the barrel of a gun. America is no exception in
    that regard. Never has been.
    democracy is not practiced anywhere in the world that I'm aware of, and it shouldn't be. It's a lovely ideal, even noble, but in practice, it's a disaster.

Even if there were a way to keep it from becoming corrupt, to keep those who rise to power one way or another, from abusing that power, which I don't believe there is, the entire premise itself doesn't work in the real world.

Political elections are popularity contests. I'm waiting for the day when they include a swimsuit competition. The majority of voting public don't study issues, and even if they did, all the sources of information available to them are suspect themselves. The average voter really has no clue what's involved in international relations, or even the way our own government and economy functions. Some do, most don't.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JPnyc View Post

Political elections are popularity contests. I'm waiting for the day when they include a swimsuit competition. The majority of voting public don't study issues, and even if they did, all the sources of information available to them are suspect themselves. The average voter really has no clue what's involved in international relations, or even the way our own government and economy functions. Some do, most don't.

[offtopic] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpR_KmN9fQA [/offtopic]

American Idol Presidents.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Quote Originally Posted by JPnyc View Post
    I'm waiting for the day when they include a swimsuit competition.
    We could be close to that. Sarah Palin would qualify. A Dubya with...uh...nevermind.
    “Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers

Banned
    Nobody can give a single example of how he "sold out" other service members. Infact, he's not even in the same ballpark as someone like Walker. Making that comparison is reaching.

Manning had an outlet: his chain of command, US Congress.
    These people don't give a ****.
    And if you beleave these people give a **** about you, your daughter, or Joe-civilian... then step into a VA hospital one of these days. It's terrible. I wouldn't even step into those places for a tissue to wipe my nose with.

Its weird that US is willing to prosecute Australian citizen for treason because he exposed US documents. I find it interesting that Wikileaks leaked different info for years and only now when it does not suite US or UK they make a news. Also too many funny comments form people saying he is a terrorist. It seems US definition of terrorist is changing all the time.
    There is no record that anyone ever died because of what Wikileaks has done so far. He also did not steal the information it was leaked or given to him by someone else. If i was trying to prevent this from happening again i would be looking for those responsible people. Also ask yourself how can an army private gain access to all this secret info. Why is most of the hostility directed at Assange and not the government who failed to protect the classfied info. And so on...
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "If I'd asked my customers what they wanted, they'd have said a faster horse." ~ Henry Ford

Its weird that US is willing to prosecute Australian citizen for treason because he exposed US documents.
    We really live in an "Alice in Wonderland" world. We can't even convict
    the ragheads we have in custody. The whole reason we have a prison
    at Guantanamo Bay is to keep the inmates off of U.S. soil so that the
    traitors in Congress can't set them free to prey upon us the same way
    they keep millions of criminals free to terrorize us every day of our lives.
    Assange is not a U.S. citizen. The only way he'll be tried here is if three
    or four governments conspire together to throw out the rule book to
    satisfy the vanity of some middle level American prosecutor A trial would
    be a bigger embarrassment than the leaks.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

AOs Resident Troll
    The whole reason we have a prison
    at Guantanamo Bay is to keep the inmates off of U.S
    The only reason you have a prison off shore is so you can break your own laws against violation of human rights, torture and unlawful detention.

Its a fricken joke....you Americans with the holier the thou attitude...policing the world, making up reasons to invade other countries, killing innocent civilians.... with do as I say...not as I do.

What a bunch of fookin hypocrites

pffft

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Quote Originally Posted by morganlefay View Post
    The only reason you have a prison off shore is so you can break your own laws against violation of human rights, torture and unlawful detention.

Its a fricken joke....you Americans with the holier the thou attitude...policing the world, making up reasons to invade other countries, killing innocent civilians.... with do as I say...not as I do.

What a bunch of fookin hypocrites

pffft

MLF
    I wish I lived in another country, so I could say 'You' stupid Americans. Unfortunately, I live here and have to include myself when badmouthing the US.

But I agree fully with MLF. Guantanamo is a travesty. We basically rounded up everyone with a hyphen in their name [Hollywood females excluded] and stuck them in a prison in Cuba, with no legal representation, no communication with family, and little chance of getting a fair day in court.

This would be illegal in the US... but not in Cuba!
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

AOs Resident Troll
    Sorry to lump you all in to one entity...I truly believe the majority of Americans are good to the core....they have just been lied to and duped by their government....as we have been here in Canada as well.

Government and big business are in cahoots with each other...we are on the road to fascism...and they will do ANYTHING to stop the truth from coming out.

John Lennon said it well in Working Class Hero

A working class hero is something to be.
    Keep you doped with religion and sex and TV,
    And you think you're so clever and classless and free,
    But you're still ****ing peasents as far as I can see,
    MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer