Thread: Debian freezing

Debian freezing

I'm not exactly sure whats going on, but as you may know I've been messing around with linux distros lately, and I decided on Debian. I just have felt so comfortable with it, I couldn't find any reason to go with anything else. Anyway, I've been having this strange problem that when the computer has been idling for a long time (I have to log back in and the monitor has turned off) it won't come back from sleeping. The only way for me to continue is to restart the computer. I'm not used to linux having issues, so I'm not sure if theres a system log for errors like this that I can view or what, but I am fairly surprised this is happening, as it is a very fresh install. I was thinking about just reformatting, but what's the fun in that? I won't learn anything. Also, there will be cases in the future where reformatting isn't an option. So I'd like to learn how to fix issues like this.

Anyways, theres not much else to explain about this issue, I'm assuming I'll have to check some logs to give more information.

HYBR|D
    Laptop or Desktop environment? Also have you adjusted the power management settings?

remember when changing the power management stuff to click the "Make Default" button other wise the changes won't save.

also check your screensaver settings. You have the relevant graphic drivers installed?

Debian?..............well, there ya go............ should've booted Winders

OK, metguru, this is what I do:

1. Go into BIOS and disable ALL power saving.
    2. Go into the OS and do the same......no screensavers or wallpaper either.

You want the machine set to always on.

OK, you will want power saving with a laptop, but this is just a fault finding exercise?

If this gets rid of the fault, then I would suspect some sort of OS/BIOS conflict; so just enable things one by one until you find the culprit.

If, on the other hand, it still freezes after a period of inactivity, it sounds more like hardware/firmware (drivers?) problem.

As HYBR¦D asked, what sort of PC is this? I have seen this sort of problem with external monitors, as it happens.

Good luck

It is a desktop computer. I have the settings so it never goes to sleep, but the monitor does turn off after 30 minutes just to conserve electricity. Also, I have not yet installed drivers for my graphics card. I had to install it in ubuntu once ages ago, but I don't believe the method is even the same let alone remember how to do it. I have an ATI x1300 if that means anything.

Hi metguru,

That sounds rather familiar..............I would bet that your problem is video drivers/monitor. I had something similar with a Radeon 7500 back in 2001 when XP first came out. The drivers that came with the card were only like a month old, but I went to the ATI site and got some that were 3 week's newer that worked.

I am virtually certain that this is not a Debian issue. You need the drivers for the video card and look for the monitor as well, if the video management software doesn't automatically recognise it.

OK, monitors don't have "drivers" in the true sense, but that is what the manufacturers seem to call them? Basically they are little files that tell your system the make and model of monitor, and what settings are supported.

This link may help you, if you have problem installing the ATI proprietary driver:
    http://wiki.debian.org/ATIProprietary

Looks like the non-free repo's package for the newest "stable" version of Debian (6.0 Squeeze) removed support for your video card's chipset. But if you're running version 5.0 Lenny you'll be good to go. Otherwise you may find yourself download and installing in a more manual way.

Thanks ABS.................Lenny is as far as I go, and not with a fancy videocard like that

I've been pretty busy with work these days, so sorry for the late reply. I'll install the ATI drivers the next time I get a chance and if I still have any issues I'll get back to you guys. Thanks for the help!