Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dual boot video problems

Hybrid View

Dual boot video problems

Hey guys, I've been having a problem for a while, but usually I don't think to ask for help with an issue unless it actually becomes either really annoying or is something I just can't get around. In this case it's really mostly a matter of being too lazy to look for a fix because its not really that big of an issue. Anyways, I'm rambling before I even start on topic
    My issue is with a laptop with a dual boot of Windows 7 and Ubuntu. Every time I boot into Ubuntu, then reboot into windows, the resolution is that default low resolution in which you can't really do anything productive. It's almost like linux changed settings in some rom on the video card or mobo or something because its not like linux is writing to anywhere on the ntfs partition afaik. When this happens I usually just reboot, because when I log in it doesn't recognize any higher resolutions as options. I think the mouse pad may not work as well in this situation, but I can't remember, as I usually just reboot. Its a pretty strange problem, but not really much more than an annoyance, as I usually have been sticking to windows 7 on my laptop because of most engineering software and whatnot.

Food for thought: After finishing with Ubuntu-> Shut down the pc... Then start it back up.

I'm assuming you mean as opposed to using restart? Would that make a difference?

I used to have this problem a LONG time ago with other Operating Systems. I Honestly don't even remember how the hell I fixed it, but I think you can check the video settings on both Operating Systems, and make sure everything is right, and most likely you'll find out that one of them is using a different resolution than the other, causing this

HYBR|D
    Quote Originally Posted by metguru View Post
    I'm assuming you mean as opposed to using restart? Would that make a difference?
    No..

(^ Steve R jones, why the sudden interest in AO? )

I had a similar issue happening when i was dual -booting kubuntux64 with win7x64

when ever i would leave 1 OS and straight boot into the other it would always have something playing up.

Note down the different Graphics settings under each OS, including screen resolution and output mghz etc.

what Specs/Brand is this laptop?

What brand & Specs are on this laptop?

As a last resort you could force the resolution using the .inf file for the monitor...

Win7 is a bit buggy, as a result of trying to be more secure. Depending on the programs you have installed, and the compatibility mode it's settings are under could cause this. Tediously, you could right click every program you have, check it's settings and resolution, prolly find the problem there, good luck.
    Every now and then, one of you won't annoy me.

Both operating systems are 1600x900. Its an HP Pavilion dv7. I also checked the refresh rate. Both are at 60Hz. Is there anything else to look for?
    Last edited by metguru; May 18th, 2011 at 10:14 PM.

Hi,

Both operating systems are 1600x900.
    If you have set your screen resolution to that, I am surprised that you can see anything other than all black with some kind of "unsupported" message

16:9 is the aspect ratio for HD widescreen and 15:9 for the old widescreen.

Your resolution should be set to 1366x768 @ 60Hz. That is the HP factory default, and the highest your kit will support. You won't be able to change the refresh rate IIRC.

If you cold boot into Windows, does the resolution come up OK? It should do, as Windows shouldn't even know that Linux is there. The only way I can see Linux passing settings to Windows is through the boot manager???

As a last resort you could force the resolution using the .inf file for the monitor...
    That works for desktops, but this is an HP laptop, so it should "know" what sort of monitor it has, and have the correct .inf file out of the box also, I don't think you can "force" a resolution on an HP laptop like you can with video cards............you get what HP allows, because they don't want the customer support calls

However, it is worth looking into, as Windows may well have become confused by you loading Linux (which HP did not intend and doubtless won't support). Your ATI or nVidia manager should see the correct kit............but does Windows?.............if it doesn't, Windows usually plays safe and uses the lowest settings, which might explain what is happening

Quote Originally Posted by nihil View Post
    16:9 is the aspect ratio for HD widescreen and 15:9 for the old widescreen
    The resolution is 1600 x 900. I know that is fairly uncommon, but I have a fairly uncommon laptop, I think. But I'm sure that both Linux and Windows are currently in 1600 x 900. Instead of the normal 17 inch monitors, with their resolution at 1366x768, mine is a 17.3 inch monitor. Maybe its supposed to be the full 1920 x 1080? But I'm sure I don't have that option in Linux, and I don't think I have that option in Windows. I have actually tried cold booting as opposed to restarting and it does make a difference. The cold boot results in Windows' normal resolution. The restart results in the bad resolution.

Quote Originally Posted by metguru View Post
    I have actually tried cold booting as opposed to restarting and it does make a difference. The cold boot results in Windows' normal resolution. The restart results in the bad resolution.
    I was talking about this in my reply. I had the exact same issue but it was only when I rebooted. Do you have the actual driver for your video card installed for Linux or is it one of the no 3D basic ones?