Thread: Vista Repair install - Media mismatch!

Question Vista Repair install - Media mismatch!

So i'm in a position where a repair install of Vista is my only option next to doing a clean install of windows 7. I've tried the in place upgrade to windows 7 professional from windows vista business (says on the box that should work), but always get the 'not enough space' error, even though we have 32gb free (web says 16gb needed for upgrade, I have that + the size of my current windows directory free).

I would like to try a vista repair install, however, installation media is SP1 and current system has SP2. So it seems you can't just slipstream SP2 without a huge involved process of installing vista, installing sp2, sysprep, imaging it again, blah blah blah, too much time there.

I found that you can download a vista dvd with SP2 from Microsoft (MSDN/Technet), however, I think that those are 'volume license' copies, and the current installation is OEM (Dell).

So: What are my options here? Can I use the copy from Microsoft and somehow get it to be OEM for activation (install the cert and oem key or something)? Is there actually an easier way to slipstream SP2 onto my SP1 install dvd...? Any advice on getting the upgrade to windows 7 to work (not enough free space error)? I know upgrading isn't preferred, but I'm in a spot here, and need the system to just work for now.

Any advice is appreciated!
    Last edited by cross; June 8th, 2011 at 04:47 PM.
    Ron Paul: Hope for America
    http://www.ronpaul2008.com/

Just an update.
    Downloaded the Vista business with SP2 from Microsoft. I am running the 'upgrade' now. Hoping this fixes my issue. Odd that it will upgrade, but win7 says not enough space...

I am confident after reading some other forums that I can install the manufacturer cert and oem key if it comes up asking for activation.

Wish me luck!

If anyone cares, Vista (upgrade) repair worked, system is back up and running OK. It was asking for activation within 3 days, so I ran the windows 7 upgrade instead, and now it works. Looks like something was messed up causing it not to work...

Windows 7 upgrade went fantastic. All programs are working, no issues so far. I know a clean install is normally preferred, personally I haven't ran an 'upgrade' since I was on 95 and upgraded to 98se, but it worked! Yay!
    Last edited by cross; June 9th, 2011 at 06:37 PM.
    Ron Paul: Hope for America
    http://www.ronpaul2008.com/

You could check the install path in the registry....however....I have a feeling it may be trying to install to the 100MB Partition Windows 7 creates for the "System Reserved" files. Could you take a closer look and\or send some error screens or Event Logs?

Sorry, just saw your Update post.......Glad you got it!!!!! 7 Rocks!!!
    "It is a shame that stupidity is not painful" - Anton LaVey

Thanks Wazz,

I have a feeling it may be trying to install to the 100MB Partition Windows 7 creates for the "System Reserved" files.
    I had noticed that and wondered where it came from, but hadn't gotten round to investigating it.

Yeah nihil, it seems to be Hard Coded in the installer.....Maybe we could Rip it apart together sometime....I've always admired your dedication to the Forum.....not to mention your 16,000 + Posts!!! ;-)

PM Me Sometime, We'll Chat....
    "It is a shame that stupidity is not painful" - Anton LaVey

What would have caused it to do that?