Thread: Collecting CPE for CISA

Hybrid View

Collecting CPE for CISA

Dear All, I hope everyone allright.

As I had got my CISA certificate in Jan 2011 now looking forward to collect CPE for that as well. I have couple of questions related to this,

Q) When I had to next submit my CPE to ISaca?
    Q) What are the easy and free ways to collect CPE?
    Q) I want to go for CEH / Security+ / CISSP for collecting CPE, does anyone knows how much CPE each certification contains and does anyone has already attempted this before.

Thanks for reading the post.
    Excuse me, is there an airport nearby large enough for a private jet to land?

Quote Originally Posted by mmkhan View Post
    Dear All, I hope everyone allright.

As I had got my CISA certificate in Jan 2011 now looking forward to collect CPE for that as well. I have couple of questions related to this,

Q) When I had to next submit my CPE to ISaca?
    Q) What are the easy and free ways to collect CPE?
    Q) I want to go for CEH / Security+ / CISSP for collecting CPE, does anyone knows how much CPE each certification contains and does anyone has already attempted this before.

Thanks for reading the post.
    If you are CISA then log into your account at http://www.isaca.org/Certification/C...Your-CISA.aspx and it tells you when your CPE's are due.

There is plenty of information there to answer your questions.

you can get CPE's by reading a IT Sec magazine ;-)

CPE's are chosen randomly for audit though so make sure you can back them all up if it came to the crunch.

I have been audited twice from ISC2 for my CISSP in the last 4 years, never with CEH.
    Our destiny is to endure all hardships that we encounter along the path to what we perceive to be true and worthwhile !

The Head foundation
    Please give generously

thanks for the reply geepod,
    actually, let me rephrase the question, If I pass my CEH (EC_Council) exam how many CPE will I receive for passing the exam

a CPE is usually equivalent to an hour of (study, seminar, writing, teaching etc)

But the exam itself is not considered a CPE in itself as far as i know, basically you would submit a reasonable amount of study hours as your CPE claim.

For example i just added some CPE's to my CISSP. I watched the SHON HARRIS CEH videos online (which by the way are free right now on her website, over 25 hours worth of EC-Council CEH video courseware. I submitted this as 10 CPE's because i dont like to claim too many beacuse it leaves you open to audit as it may flag the careful eyes of the adjudicators, who knows.
    To be honest though i dont rate the CEH, i have version 3 and 6.1. But if you already CISA i would consider going for something a bit higher level like SANS GIAC GSEC or even higher, CEH is so full of old useless c*** and is easily studied for. Do something which really requires the knowledge and hands on skill.

cheers
    Our destiny is to endure all hardships that we encounter along the path to what we perceive to be true and worthwhile !

The Head foundation
    Please give generously

thanks geepod,

i really wanted to go for Sans GIAC but they are quiet expensive thats why going fot CEH / CISSP.

I came across following,

http://portal.eccouncil.org/delta/announcement.htm

it mentions,

EC-Council Examiations: 120 credits

but wants to make it sure

Quote Originally Posted by mmkhan View Post
    thanks geepod,

i really wanted to go for Sans GIAC but they are quiet expensive thats why going fot CEH / CISSP.

I came across following,

http://portal.eccouncil.org/delta/announcement.htm

it mentions,

EC-Council Examiations: 120 credits

but wants to make it sure
    yes it is talking about the credits you need to maintain your EC-Council certifications, so if you are or become a CEH you need to achieve 120 credits every 3 years, you dont get 120 credits for taking an exam.

And this is credits which apply to Ec-Council, nothing to do with CPE's for CISA

In other words id you become a CEH then you take another exam such as CISSP or GSEC then those exams would give you 40 credits towards your 120 needed every 3 years to maintain your CEH.

None of this relates to your CISA, you have already taken it and i dont think they are retrospective
    Last edited by geepod; June 14th, 2011 at 08:10 PM.

The Head foundation
    Please give generously