Thread: Back in the days

Back in the days

Nihil.
    You would be experienced on this technology YES?
    1964 Dial up Modem

http://www.wimp.com/connectsinternet/

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    pffft~! we didnt even have TV!
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

HYBR|D
    I haven't seen 1 of them for a few years.

That brings back a few memories. I used to dial into Taiwan from Florida at 10 cps on a Teletype ASR33. The message would be prepared in advance on paper tape before dialing and sending.

Hi Info Au,

Nihil.
    You would be experienced on this technology YES?
    1964 Dial up Modem
    Errrrrrrrrrr..............................no

That's a portable device, and I am afraid I was a big city, major corporation boy, so everything was hard wired and dedicated. I guess the underlying technology is the same though, and yes you did use a dedicated telephone to initiate the connection.

That device is not only a modem, but also a physical interface to a telephone handset through which the transmission takes place. The stuff I used was a wired signal rather than an audio one.....you just used the phone to establish the link (a bit like FAX machines), then switched over to direct linkage.

I was looking at the connections, and it seemed to be serial port (COM1/2) from the laptop to parallel port on the "modem"......there was an adapter at that end. I am not sure why that would be..............possibly to allow you to connect to a remote printer via LPT1 and a parallel to parallel cable? I have one of those somewhere, and a Netgear printer modem.

I have an old adapter that is parallel port to RJ45/cat5.........never quite figured which way round it was supposed to work. The parallel connector only has 6 pins, which would seem to rule out a direct printer connection?

Anyways, thanks for the interesting post...............I shall probably start playing with some of my old gear this weekend

Thumbs up

That was a pretty cool video, and the 1964 modem is two years older than I.
    To see it still works is impressive to say the least.

I could not imagine using it to surf the net. Taking to many coffee breaks between page loading times, could cause an overdose of caffeine.

Thanks Info Au for the video, it is amazing how far we have come in technology in such a short period. I am looking forward to the next 40 years, and seeing what else comes out.
    Computers do not have problems, they have users.
    ~Cope57

Great trip back in time....

Quote Originally Posted by Cope57 View Post
    That was a pretty cool video, and the 1964 modem is two years older than I.
    To see it still works is impressive to say the least.

I could not imagine using it to surf the net. Taking to many coffee breaks between page loading times, could cause an overdose of caffeine.

Thanks Info Au for the video, it is amazing how far we have come in technology in such a short period. I am looking forward to the next 40 years, and seeing what else comes out.
    The modem is older than me also. I remember back when I had only modem connections in the late '80s and I would be at work telling myself, while waiting on data transfers, "I'm getting paid to wait." Now a days a T-1 can seem unbearably slow.