Thread: Windows 7 admin probelem

Windows 7 admin probelem

Hey guys I have a brand new windows 7 box attached to a AD running on win2k3 server. I have created a new administrator account that this person uses wile working on this box. but every time she try's to run or do any thing she gets that stupid windows security dialog box that requires the administrator username and password to say install a program, but her account is all ready an administrative account. it has been created as an administrative account it is in the administrator group and has no restrictions on it. but yet she cant do any thing on the system. also I installed two identical windows 7 systems on to the network the same day the other one is working fine. any one have any ideas?

Thank you,
    riot

The local box needs admin permissions granted to the AD account.

this would be a permissions problem, but depending on the antivirus proggies installed on the 2k server, you could still get in...maybe, I don't like win7 so I could be wrong.
    Every now and then, one of you won't annoy me.

Yeh what ua549 says fits I am also on AD 2003 - All admins (that use this machine) need to be in the local administrator group.

Try the UAC - Universal Access Control it might be set too high.

All my systems run Windows 7 - I have no problem with it. What I do have problem with the lazy companies who don't have drivers or applications that are compatible (basically they had about 5 years to get things right). Windows 7 is really Vista (as it should have been) I struggle with the x64 version for drivers/program compatibilty usual the big companies have it sorted. I get by though 90% works without issue unfortunately ppl are lazy and don't do things right.

I also use XP mode on our ERP system application.

Hi Zorolord,

Windows 7 is really Vista (as it should have been)
    When I first started with Windows 7 (beta test) I thought that. It put me in mind of Win 98/Win98SE.

I can't say that I have had any drivers problem with 64bit (that's all I run 7 on), in fact I connected a 10 year old drawing tablet to it and it managed to find drivers for it, which surprised me.......although Vista did as well.

When it comes to applications though, look no further than Microsoft Office 2010 Professional Plus!

Left to its own devices it will load in 32 bit mode on a 64bit system. My personal recommendation is to let it do just that.

If you hunt around the CD you will find the 64bit folder. From there you can force an install of the 64bit version. The problem is that if you do this, anything you produce will be unusable by anyone who isn't also using 64bit Office. A good clue is that you are not even offered the 64bit option, you have to find it yourself!!!

MS first went 64bit with Office 2003 and it was pretty much a disaster. So much so that Office 2007 didn't have a 64bit version!

It would seem that Office is still native 32bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Riot View Post
    I have created a new administrator account that this person uses wile working on this box. but every time she try's to run or do any thing she gets that stupid windows security dialog box that requires the administrator username and password to say install a program, but her account is all ready an administrative account. it has been created as an administrative account it is in the administrator group and has no restrictions on it.
    Is the 'administrator' account she is using a local admin account, or a domain admin account?
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

I have problem with many printers but they are few years the HP LaserJet 5500.

You have to connect via the servers, the servers are restricted I can't change the drivers on there. So I tried it locally but still cannot print to the HP LaserJet 5550. I have plenty printers to choose from though including a InkJet - the Photocopiers seems to work without issue there Kyocera's they did at first, but my colleague must have got the new driver and uploaded the server..

I put the 64 bit on a first and was told to downgrade incase of compatibility issues we have a lot of plug in applications and I didn't realise that files themselves that are generated with a 64 bit aren't compatible.

Yeh 64bit applications aren't really a must, as long as the 32bit works with xp mode on 64 Bit. I have a few applications that won't run on x64. These are bespoke applications so it will take them a while to play catch up.

AOs Resident Troll
    We run xp virtual machine in windows 7 for any incompatibility issues...one older version engineering app wont install\run in windows 7 so is run in the virtual xp. Everything else runs in xp mode just fine.

Have had no real issues....machines are icore 5 with 8 gigs ram and handle the virtual machine well.

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    just to add
    even if you ARE an admin
    until it is required that you need to use admin privilege
    THEN the system will ask you if you really do want to allow it to happen

it isn't UAC per se
    it is just a 7 'upgrade' :P
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone