Thread: Recommendations for wireless security camera system?

Recommendations for wireless security camera system?

Hi all,

I have property in a rural area and one of my neighbors has been giving me trouble since I bought the property a few years ago. I guess they don't want to have any new neighbors, and they have done both overtly threatening and passive aggressive things to let me know it, such as making audible threats and placing obstacles in the driveway.

I don't live at the property full time as I haven't built on it yet (so I sometimes camp there), but I plan to eventually build a nice house and make it my forever home. For now, I live about 40 minutes away by car. The most recent action taken by this neighbor was very threatening and potentially dangerous, and I am now looking into options to gather evidence so that I can escalate things if needed.

I am considering installing security cameras to monitor one or two points on the perimeter of the property where the neighbor's activities have occurred. My property does not have power or (obviously) wifi running to it, but a solar-powered security camera would hypothetically work, as long as I could either connect to it remotely or occasionally collect and review an SD card or something.

Various sites such as CNET recommended Arlo, Reolink, and Lorex systems, but I was wondering if anyone here can provide more insight on what might be the best solution.

Thanks in advance.

Have you actually talked to the neighbors?

Have you talked to Law Enforcement?

Good questions. Sorry for the length of what follows, as the situation is somewhat complicated.

The neighbor I'm dealing with is a young man who is neurodivergent and has had issues with substance abuse. I am told by other neighbors that he keeps guns in the house (legal here) and for this reason I am hesitant to confront him in any way. His house/property is owned by his mother, a woman with whom I have had several unpleasant interactions as well. It seems to me that she enables her son's behaviors and is not going to be any help in the matter.

My plan this week is to talk to law enforcement, only to ask them for guidance on how to proceed. Although I've seen this neighbor approach my property, and I know that he ran a chainsaw and shouted threats at me from his house the first time I stayed the night at my place (because his girlfriend at the time texted the other neighbors to let them know that the threats were aimed at me and not them!), I don't have evidence that I can take in order to escalate things if I need to. That's what the cameras would be for, and I expect law enforcement to encourage this also.

So the son is aware that you OWN your property. Maybe the LEO's can set him straight and that you mean no harm etc etc....

The text messages from the girlfriend would be good proof... Dashcams for your car and a GoPro on your hat are things to consider.

Consider the Arlo Pro 4 Wireless Security Camera System for top-notch home surveillance. With 2K HDR video, wire-free convenience, and advanced features like color night vision and customizable alerts, it offers a robust solution for monitoring your property, ensuring peace of mind.