Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: running w7 as limited

I actually did use XP for a while. I think I even have a screen shot. DooM95 worked on it so I used it. They should fix that in Windows 7 though, I mean, id GPLd the source so it's not like someone who cares about programming couldn't.

And isn't XP still at it's core NT anyway? Windows 7 isn't "totally" new.

AOs Resident Troll
    Well yes Gore technically ...although the system file structure\user profile environment did change in 2000....and XP is still very similar again.
    Windows 7 file structure has changed from that ..I am still fairly new to windows 7...but so far love what I have seen separating the user admin permissions from the system admin is a good start......and the user profile structure has changed..

Currently shopping new server hardware \software ....2011 SBS...which I think is the 2008R2 version with all the bells and whistles.....which is W7 with server services ...

Are you nearly as confused as me??

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Replying to every post saying to use XP doesn't help at all.
    It does; if they take the advice

XP is the most widely used and supported OS on this planet. It will most certainly run just fine on any hardware made in the last 5 years.

As for support.............that runs until January 2014, by which time Windows 8 will be on SP1

This machine is running Vista, which I had almost given up on; even though my first build was over 2x the Microsoft recommended minimum in all areas, AND I switched off all the eye candy!!!

This one scores 5.9/5.9 in all but the video, which is 5.0/5.9 (old NVIDIA 8500GT).

Much the same story with Windows ME....................I built my wife an ME machine years ago................an AMD Duron 1.3GHz with 512MB of PC133 SDRAM and a 64MB Radeon 7000. It ran stable for 3 years or more, which I suspect was due to the fact that it had more than 256MB of RAM?

EDIT:

For the record, nobody has replied to this thread or your "can't boot Windows 7" one and suggested that you install Windows XP.

This is not surprising given that both threads are clearly about Windows 7 and that solution is very much an early days of Vista one.

If you recall, Vista was late out and OEMs wanted to maximise holiday (Christmas) sales. They sold kit badged as "Vista capable" and "Vista ready" and gave you a voucher to get Vista when it was finally released.

The "Vista ready" kit was just fine and would run Vista with all its features. This was not the case with "Vista capable" machines that would boot the OS but not run most of the features that distinguished it from XP (Aero etc) and ran it slowly and clumsily.

The solution was to revert to XP if your hardware couldn't handle Vista properly. There are literally thousands of items on the internet about doing this.

Nobody would suggest loading XP in a Windows 7 environment unless it were to check for obscure hardware problems that prevent 7 from installing. Sure you can check booting with any bootable media and you can use Linux, but the problem with that is Linux can be too forgiving of hardware issues so you are best off using an XP or Vista CD/DVD
    Last edited by nihil; September 10th, 2011 at 10:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by morganlefay View Post
    Well yes Gore technically ...although the system file structure\user profile environment did change in 2000....and XP is still very similar again.
    I know; You've known me for like, years, and probably haven't heard me say more than once or twice anything bad about the NT line. I think I made a joke about how Microsoft once had their Windows NT product web site's documentation that you should reboot every 6 months or so to prevent memory leaks and so on. I made a joke about it.

And I probably, knowing me, bitched about how that guy from VMS was working on the Windows NT team. Being a Unix based elitist, I'm required by "haxor law" to hate them VMS is actually a swear word in our house. If I say to my Wife "Oh VMS that" She's like almost mad because it's considered an insult in my house. She hates VMS a lot.

[/QUOTE]I am still fairly new to windows 7...but so far love what I have seen separating the user admin permissions from the system admin is a good start......and the user profile structure has changed..[/QUOTE]

Yea, I like that too. I think I used to talk about a feature like this on here. I'd have to look, but in more than one thread, I know I brought up in a bunch of those "My OS is better than YOUR OS" threads, how Windows would REALLY benefit from this, and didn't have it. And now it does.

It's one of the things I Love about Windows 7! I have Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit installed on this machine on a partition, with Slackware on the other. Oddly enough, I boot into Windows 7 more than I do Slackware, which, it's usually the other way around. My set up has changed quite a bit now, and this is what I'm now running:

My Laptop is running PC-BSD. No dual boot, just that.
    My FTP / SSH Server, is running Slackware 12
    A Dell Desktop I have, is running FreeBSD 8.2-RELEASE.
    My old FreeBSD box died on me, and I can't get a new Power Supply for a while.
    My old test machine, which dual booted FreeBSD and Slackware, also had the same problem.
    My Compaq, which ran Slackware sometimes, Mandriva sometimes, and BSD, currently needs some new cooling. It's overheating. AMD Athlon XP 2600+ after all.
    My Wife's old machine, is running XP as a test install. It's got services set up on it to toy with, but will probably not stay that way.
    My Wife's other Desktop, also has XP, but won't stay that way. Once we have a new monitor for it, it'll run BSD.
    My Wife's Laptop, is running XP because my Mom needed to borrow it when Her machine stopped working, but it'll probably go back to SUSE or Slackware, or BSD.
    My Wife's new Desktop, is running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit.

Quite a difference. But it's nice.

Currently shopping new server hardware \software ....2011 SBS...which I think is the 2008R2 version with all the bells and whistles.....which is W7 with server services ...
    Last time I used a Windows Server, was Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition. I liked it, as it was really fast, for Windows, and decently stable, I couldn't figure out why it had a media player installed.... Especially one that's prone to security problems.... I can see them wanting it available, no problem at all, but default install using Windows Media Player, I thought that was stupid.

I'd recommend Sun Servers to you, but Oracle has been pissing all over those. Alphas and SGIs are still the **** though.

Are you nearly as confused as me??

MLF
    Nope, not confused. Unless you meant something else by that. You're looking for Servers, and you think that that version is based on Windows 7 with Services on it. As far as I know, that's 100% accurate.

My Compaq, which ran Slackware sometimes, Mandriva sometimes, and BSD, currently needs some new cooling. It's overheating. AMD Athlon XP 2600+ after all.
    That's a Compaq, not an Athlon XP 2600+ issue. OEM's go for the basic stock solutions with their low and middle end stuff. Trust me, I must have built well over 300 boxes based on the Athlon XP + CPU

Back then, if you bought a boxed Athlon, it came with a crappy heatsink and fan and a little sachet of "Heat Sink Silicone Compound.......SILMORE Taiwan"

[See what happens when you get nihil into nostalgia mode...........I actually went and found one ]

Myself, and the guys I used to moonlight for, would just buy the OEM version of the processor and use a cooling solution from Coolermaster/Antec/Thermaltake, with some decent thermal compound.

So long as the fan is OK, you can probably get away with just a thorough clean and replacing the thermal compound. Right now I use Arctic MX3, and before that their "Ceramique". I never really rated their Arctic Silver 5 because metallic compounds are electrically conductive and the damn stuff takes about 200 hours to settle in!!!.............and isn't as thermally efficient anyways.

My old FreeBSD box died on me, and I can't get a new Power Supply for a while.
    My old test machine, which dual booted FreeBSD and Slackware, also had the same problem.
    Luck with that..............I just hope you have regular form factor cases.........or a Dremel. Just watch out for the 20/24 pin connection

Not a problem if you get a 20+4 pin PSU, but some come in 24pin, and older ones in 20pin. You shouldn't have any problem with a PSU that is AC/DC (works with AMD and P4) as they will have the extra 4pin 12v connector.

Anything AM2/AM2+/AM3 should be OK as well, because those boards need the same extra 12v supply that P4s did when they came out.

I guess that I would look to pay $8~10 over here for such a PSU ..............PROVIDED!!! that the form factor is standard.

I am just looking at moving the MoBo and all other components from a machine my wife bought from her work. It is one of those damn stupid dinky, eye candy, wannabee towers.

Damn PSU crapped out and I cannot get one to replace it. Even the poxy manufacturer got taken over, and there is no product support. I managed to shoehorn in a regular 550w supply............but now it overheats.

And the best bit is:

1. To get to the RAM, EIDE cables, and power supply connections, you need to remove the HDD mounting & drives.
    2. To remove the HDD mounting you need to remove the heatsink and fan.
    3. To remove the heatsink and fan, you need to remove the graphics card.

But it looks pretty in the office................................

Good luck with your endeavors mate!

Heh, My Wife has a good AMD Athlon story:

Basically, years ago, She had built a Computer for use as a Workstation, and went with that Processor. Well, after a while, She was having issues with the heat even though it wasn't standard crappy ones they come with as you rightly pointed out, and, one day, it overheated REALLY badly, and She had to take it in for parts to a Computer store.

The guy there, along with Her, and some others working in there, all were pretty sure the Processor was going to be gone. It was so hot it smoked. And, to everyone's amazement, it actually worked when it got hooked up to their test rig. Oddly enough, the damn thing worked for years after that.

Of course, that was in Montreal Quebec, and, I know of ONE store there I wouldn't EVER use; My Wife had a Machine She needed to get a new piece of Hardware installed on, and since She also had other things needing to get done that day, She ended up leaving the machine there for them to install it on, and told them specifically "This machine does NOT use Windows, so your software is NOT going to work on it. Just installed the piece, and leave it alone!".

She went in to pick it up, and one of the stupid as **** techs said "We couldn't read the HD so we formatted it".... She lost ALL of Her Data.

The stupid **** formatted the drive even after reading the hand written note to NOT touch it. The note said that the machine wasn't using Windows, and to just install the part and leave it be, and my Wife would take care of setting everything up. They didn't listen. Couldn't Believe these little shits stay in business somehow. But that's Quebec for you.

HYBR|D
    If she was able to configure the new hardware change/update then why couldn't she just open the case and install/change the piece of hardware? thus avoiding the whole PC repair shop rippoff merchants altogether.

Anyhow those computer repair places are just 1 big scam. Not to mention the lies & deciet and overall dodgyness + overcharging or just plain outrages service cost's...

technology has advanced so much over the years that it's at the point were even Grandma can build her own PC, or be able to press 1 button and have her PC reset back to default.

even those tablet's have a little reset button on the side's of them that you can push and it will automagically reset itself back to default settings. my partner has an Iconia Tab A500 and she has accidently downloaded/installed malware ridden games/apps, and she can now comfortably push a pin into the reset button, and reset the tablet. bloody awesome they should have 1 of those button's on all computer cases and when pushed it will automagically recover/reset the pc main files back to default while not touching the important data ie:> pictures / home movies music etc etc.

If she was able to configure the new hardware change/update then why couldn't she just open the case and install/change the piece of hardware? thus avoiding the whole PC repair shop rippoff merchants altogether.
    Exactly! all you need is an opposable thumb? and no more than two minutes............unless it is Appleshite.

She went in to pick it up, and one of the stupid as **** techs said "We couldn't read the HD so we formatted it".... She lost ALL of Her Data.
    To read the HDD you need to login to a loaded OS? I assume that it would have had one of those? So it comes up with a login screen?.......that's as far as you go.

To format a HDD you need to know what you are doing, and WHY!!!!

If I open a new HDD I just get the little flashing white cursor, or an "operating system not found" from the BIOS..................only an active OS will ask for a format..............

So, if this box actually had a HDD with an installed OS on it, it would not have asked for a format.....just for credentials.

They would have known enough that to format a HDD requires you to install an OS afterwards................And to format an externally linked drive will hide all the data on it, so is a waste of time.

I call total BS here

And to lose all your data...............well, that wouldn't happen in Windows.............

"Deleted isn't" and a reformat into anything, even reiser fscrapo or whatever won't do it.

And, (I have only been in this for 30 years ) you don't reformat a HDD to install a bit of KIT

Even if the POS hardware you can't install doesn't load its drivers because it doesn't understand your OS and filesystem, it isn't going to format because the people that wrote the installation package know that you need an active OS for it to work after that.

Try keep them plausible huh?
    Last edited by nihil; September 12th, 2011 at 03:47 PM.

Did no one see the part I said about "Normally She would have installed it Herself, but She had to work that day and it was urgent, so, She took the machine in and had it done so it would be ready when She got home"....

My Wife built that Computer Herself from parts; She bought a Case She liked, grabbed a MOBO, and RAM, and everything else, and built it. The only reason She went in there was because of time constraints ONCE lol. She's better at Hardware than I am, Believe me. And Programming for that matter....And She is Certified as a Unix Sys Admin.... I saw the paper from it and wanted one because it's like awesome....

She worked as a tech at this company, and they offered classes too, so people could take tests and get certification more easily, and, they happened to offer a Unix Sys Admin one, and She did it. It was awesome, because they did it all on Sun Machines from what I understand. And my Wife LOVES Sun.

But yea, that's the reason She didn't do it Herself; She was busy and didn't have time that day, and, since it was something urgent, She had to take it somewhere so it would be worked on while She was at work, and be done before She got home. That's all.

And wow Nihil.... Just saw what you said.... Keep it plausible? WTF reason would I lie about a shitty techie for? I just asked my Wife what happened that time.

My Wife said:

She was getting a New Computer, and She handed them Her old HD, because She wanted the drive installed in the new machine, and, so, She hands the guy the HD, and tells him "Don't try to read the drive, it is NOT readable from a Windows machine, so please do not try to read it, just install it, and that's ALL!" Well, She got out of work, went to the shop, and the guy said "Oh, we couldn't read the drive so we formatted it".....

That's what happened. I asked simply because I didn't remember every detail. I don't know why anyone would think I was lying about it like Nihil seems to think, but, either way, it was a VERY ****in incompetent tech obviously, who didn't listen to "Don't try to read this" and he did anyway, and when he couldn't read the drive, he formatted the thing.

She had lost everything as that one was set up with multiple partitions, and that way She could upgrade the OSs on it without having to lose Data, and now, She's telling me this:

She was going to a college at the time, and She did NOT want to buy a Computer from this place, but, Her Mom basically said "Either You buy the Computer from this store, or, I won't pay for it" so, She was forced into going there.

She also told me that She asked specifically NOT to be given a Win Modem, and, they gave Her a ****in Win Modem.

Unless you have been to Quebec, and dealt with these people before, it's probably a little hard to imagine, but some of the dumbest son of a bitches I've ever met in my entire life, are from Quebec.

I don't know why, and it's not like everyone from there is like that obviously, but for some reason, there are some people in Quebec, who are just beyond ****ing tard.

There, now you have details and the whole story. My Wife had built Her own Computer, I was wrong about it being a hardware fix, and instead, it was a brand new Computer, and Her Mom, who's ****ing psychotic as most Mother in laws are, said that the only way she'd pay for the computer was if my Wife went to that store.

HYBR|D
    Quote Originally Posted by gore View Post
    Did no one see the part I said about "Normally She would have installed it Herself, but She had to work that day and it was urgent, so, She took the machine in and had it done so it would be ready when She got home"....
    Yes i did real the part about working, Just thought if she's able to re-compile the kernel on her OS etc then i would of suspected she would be competent enough to pop the case open and change/install hardware.

I usually order in relevant parts either over the phone or online, then either i'll get the parts sent to my workplace, or home, or even just pickup the parts afterwork / weekend etc.

I'm sure she could of picked up the parts after work? maybe had someone cruise by the shop and pickup the part/s

Quote Originally Posted by gore View Post
    There, now you have details and the whole story. My Wife had built Her own Computer, I was wrong about it being a hardware fix, and instead, it was a brand new Computer, and Her Mom, who's ****ing psychotic as most Mother in laws are, said that the only way she'd pay for the computer was if my Wife went to that store.
    Why did she need her mother to pay for the hardware? Especially if your wife at the time was employeed / self sufficient ?

it would of cost less to order the part and install it herself, then take the actual computer into the shop and pay there inflated prices to pop open the case and insert the new hardware.

And if it was a brand new machine and simply needed faulty hardware swapped then it should of been covered by warranty? Thus i would of been on the phone with either the shop i bought it from arranging for it to be fixed at there own expense.

Sorry guess i'm just suprised.. Don't take it to heart budd.