Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: running w7 as limited

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar

running w7 as limited

Hi ,
    Going abit nuts here
    Want to run as limited user but when wanted to install software, it must prompt for admin credentials if i was to right click > run as administrator. Same for viewing and changing things on the system. It it just saying that you need local admin privledges.

What am I doing wrong?

This might be it, not sure. Im a domain admin but ive taken domain admins out locally of the admin group. When I right click > run as admin I will use a local admin account I created. Am I confusing things here?

UAC slider is at the top :P
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

I never found a good way to do what you want to do. I usually give users admin privileges locally and restrict them at the domain level.

thats pefect restricting them at a domain level but software installations at the PC / user level will cause issues etc.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Cider View Post
    thats pefect restricting them at a domain level but software installations at the PC / user level will cause issues etc.
    Rule numbah one..do not, ever allow someone to install something on YOUR box/es, evar!

Did you hear that? Did it register? Getting it, got it, good?

Evar.
    Every now and then, one of you won't annoy me.

Issue is resolved after rebooting - seems UAC has to be on for this. I think the slider needs to be at the top or just one below.
    Albert Einstein

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    Im a domain admin but ive taken domain admins out locally of the admin group.
    why do this?
    remember the mantra
    K.I.S.S.
    Keep It Simple Stupid :P

to add, 7, even when you are logging in as an admin, will revert to a normal user status for running, only adding the admin rights when you wish to install / download etc
    this is why UAC pops up
    you say yes
    it allows it by giving your account its admin powers back

the theory was good, but real world use does bring up the WTF fairy on occasion
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

Banned
    These accounts simply do not have the power to perform administrative tasks directly, and they do not have the ability to lift a single confirmation: they instead require credentials, such as a password or a card chip. This is requested through a prompt to the user.

This is known informally as the way Over-the-shoulder (where someone can look over the shoulder of the user to type a password and a job approval)

well running as a standard user and then having to put in local admin or domain admin credentials to do anything administrative is what we are looking for isn't it?

Running in Unix as a normal user and then running sudo or as root, same thing?
    Albert Einstein

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    well running as a standard user and then having to put in local admin or domain admin credentials to do anything administrative is what we are looking for isn't it?

Running in Unix as a normal user and then running sudo or as root, same thing?
    isn't that the RUNAS option ?
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

well it seems to be the same, when you right click > run as administrator it prompts you for credentials to install the software or whatever you are doing. You can insert any credentials you want too hence its the same as RUNAS?
    Albert Einstein