Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Windows 7 Won't boot

HYBR|D
    Quote Originally Posted by gore View Post

The Command Prompt starts out with an "X:" menu, and from there you can change to the C and D drives and all that, but, you can't get to Windows, and there isn't any Network. Which blows, because it would have made this a lot easier.
    Get into that menu, and try

cd c:\

then

fixmbr

then

fixboot

also try chkdisk /F

HYBR|D
    I'm not sure if it can be run in safe mode but get bluescreenview and run the .exe (no need to install) it'll tell you what all your BSOD's are. just double click the pink line and save it to a text doc and upload it here.

from what I gather it may well be a hardware driver issue.
    follow this suggestion:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...b-f2efbba1dcbf

The fixmbr and fixboot don't run, and say they aren't recognized, and for the chkdsk, I got the same error someone on a forum had gotten where it said "failed to transfer log messages to the event log with status 50".

This is.... It's got to be the weirdest problem I've ever seen. I've worked on Computers a lot, and not once have I ever seen something like this where you can't even use a Recovery.

But yea, the fixmbr, and fixboot wouldn't run. Also, something that I'm not sure is related; It says drive "D" is the one with the Windows installation, and not C. Now, I don't remember Honestly if that's just how it was when it was purchased or not, but if I go to drive C (Which I first tried doing with cd C:, and it wouldn't work, but typing C: and hitting enter did....) But anyway, when I first did that, I went to type dir, and it wouldn't let me view anything.

When I typed d: and hit Enter, I did a "dir" on it, and it showed me the root directory with all the program files folders, and everything you'd normally see in the C: Drive. I just thought that was weird too, but it may very well have been set up that way so I can't say it is for sure related.

The link you posted, shows a message very similar to the one I get, but the one I'm getting says "Corrupt File" instead of bad driver. Of course it doesn't say what file, or give me an option to put the Windows Installation DVD in the drive and copy it over to replace it, but it says there is a Corrupt File.

HYBR|D
    is the machine using a pci / agp type graphics card or an on-board card?

Is it as simple as Command line remove the latest windows update KB?????
    Whatever number it is.

Gore.

Here is something i learned on AO.
    Partition the drive on setup.

ALWAYS save wanted files to D: Drive (In your case C drive by the look of it).
    Then if any virus attacks windows or any update kills windows all your files in D drive are untouched and if a re install is needed on C: windows you can do it easily.
    Anything gets corrupted on C....Wipe and start again.

I have saved over 10 years of files by doing this.(ghosted to new hard drive a few years ago)
    Can't think of how many times i have had to wipe C but i have never lost anything in D drive.

Lessons are learned!

Just an update -

So far, I've gotten the CD to boot, and I'm currently copying the files I need to a folder on the HD as I got write access from NTFS-3g, so I'm copying files I need into a folder, and then I'm gonna grab them, as I'm able to use a USB drive, so it'll take forever but it should work.

My Wife is on the phone with Microsoft tech support, which, the web site gave us a wrong number apparently, but then the guy with the accent gave us another number to call, which was the ****ing Windows Product key activation number, and now is talking to someone who we got palmed off to from someone else who said this is a known issue so the tech support will be free..... Wow...

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    I will take a stab at saying the MBR sector is toast, as you say the fixmbr / fixboot was not recognised
    new HDD, once you get this sorted
    but as HDD - in my scenario - is bolloxed, you may need to grab a SATA to IDE converter plug, it just plugs into SATA drive
    and makes it IDE
    then slave it to grab data
    MS update had that one feck up a while back
    you had to remove the old update to clear fault
    but again, everything you have posted points to a fecked drive
    probably a coincidence the PC fell over then
    but worth checking once data is secured

then, as Info Au said, partition your drives before you ever use PC
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

Well, I have another update, and, since I have a little more time, I can go into more detail:

First; The Microsoft tech support....I remember back when I first got into Unix based OSs, I was looking up some Linux / BSD / Unix Humor, and one of them was a web site that was basically a mix of quotes, and some jokes, about Windows, and I was reading it.

Well, one of the lines on that page was about Microsoft tech support, and how in most cases, if they don't have a really simple fix, they tell you to reinstall the OS.

I'd never had any experience with it personally, because the very first time I ever called tech support, was because my ISP was screwing up and I called them. The second time I ever called, was because a Windows Authentication wouldn't work in XP like two years ago, and today, my Wife called, and this was after I had to lookup the phone number and try multiple settings on their site to get a damn phone number.

The guy who answered finally, said it was customer service even though the site said it was tech support, and he gave a number for support, which turned out to be the stupid Windows Product Key line... So we were given ANOTHER phone number.

I don't know who this girl was, but she was NOT qualified to do that job.... My Wife was on the phone for an hour and a half, and at one point, she said "What directory are You in?" and my Wife told her, and she said to do "cd .." and then "cd Windows".... Which put my Wife in the directory She was in before....

The woman seemed to be on google trying to find a solution, because every time she said something, it was something I had tried a few hours earlier. Then she said to try the last thing I had tried before giving up, and I was like OMG....

The woman said she couldn't help, and she kept putting my Wife on hold to "Check for someone who might be able to help" and of course, she couldn't.

So basically she said that she couldn't help, and we would have to reinstall the OS.... From what I saw on Google, it was possible to fix this issue, but no one actually posted how.

I grabbed a Rescue CD, and booted from that. I did a check on the HD, and it said everything was OK, no bad sectors, nothing. From what I read on Google, and from what the girl on tech support said, the reason it happened, was that Windows Update corrupted a file.

I couldn't Believe it... She had managed to "find some commands" that would reveal some info about the Operating System, and what had happened, and basically, when Windows update grabbed the installation for a patch, it started to install, and while messing with some critical system files, it failed.

When it failed, it corrupted a file, and did this... I saw the message that it was a corrupted file and then girl on the phone said that it was a known issue. Since it was a "known issue" we "didn't have to pay for the call".... Couldn't Believe it.

According to the tests that were ran, the hardware itself is fine, but because of one update that auto downloaded itself and then crashed the machine, it started a mess.

I don't even remember which update it was, but basically, they said they knew about it, and that during the update process, Windows Update starts to change some important ****, and then screws up, fails, and the machine can't boot Windows anymore. And since the Windows Recovery Console can't find it, as it's basically one portion, it can't be fixed through that, so you have to reinstall.

The woman on the phone had us try Restore points again, which of course didn't work. I couldn't remember exactly which system files were corrupted, but Windows Update will basically fail as it's doing this, and winload.exe or something like that, gets corrupted. Like I said; I can't remember the exact name of it, but it's something similar to "Winload" or something like that, and it was corrupted during the update when it failed, and then, Windows can no longer load.

I can't Believe they couldn't find a way to get this thing from the Windows Disc.... I mean, I thought it would be copying a file, or a few of them, from the CD, and then rebooting, and it would be finished. But apparently you can't do that, which is REALLY stupid....

I'm exhausted. I've been up for a REALLY long time, and I didn't sleep very well yesterday either, so, basically, I barely slept, and then on top of that, I've been up for a really long time. So my thought process is really messed up right now, and it's hard to type this post in a legible manner.