Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Solaris 8/9

WTF who in their right mind would let go of Sun boxes for RedHat? Your boss or whoever it was who decided on that must have found a new hobby involving pipes. (The kind you put crack rocks in, not the Unix thing to separate commands)

Just Another Geek
    Yeah, I'm not too happy about it either. I'm also not too thrilled about the fact that two of the old Sun boxes ran MySQL and I have to migrate that to two VMs running RHEL. Not too confident about the resulting performance of that. Probably the only reason performance would be better (at least at first) is because the new machines are more powerful then the, now 7 year old, Sun boxes.

But hey, I'm a contractor. If they want to screw up the entire system they can go right ahead. You want it, you can have it. If/When things get messed up I'll just start looking for a new project, it's not my company that gets screwed over
    Last edited by SirDice; August 26th, 2011 at 08:09 AM.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

You know, I'm a fan of Linux like a lot of other people who like Unix but can't afford a metric **** ton of money to have REAL Workstations / Servers, running something, but I'm not delusional either....

Linux has it's place in the Server World, just as much as the open / free versions of BSD, but at the same time; I also know damn well that Red Hat is NOT going to replace SunOS or Solaris any time soon.

If I were doing a job similar to that and a client came up to me saying they were looking to upgrade some old Sun machines to something new, I'd be Honest about it and tell them a few things, starting with "Can I have the machines you're getting rid of?" and then from there, explain that even if Red Hat has great support (Which, I don't know for a fact, I haven't ever actually called or emailed support for any paid Linux I've ever had, I haven't ever had to unless you count ONCE where I was talking to Marcuss Meissner on IRC and told him a Kernel patch screwed up on my machine, and I had the Nvidia Driver, and it wouldn't let me install it again, which is what you'd normally do; You download a Kernel patch, and once you're done, you install the Nvidia driver again, and then you're done, but it wouldn't let me) well, he went into work early that day, after talking to me, and asked me what hardware I had exactly, so I told him, and told him what I was running, and by the end of the day, there was a new Kernel patch to fix it.

I didn't call support even though it was offered when you paid for SUSE, and I didn't ever use the Email support you got for buying it, because I didn't ever have to. But, even if they have AWESOME support, there still not going to replace ****ing real hardware with PCs running Red Hat.

I don't even like Red Hat.... I mean if they wanted to replace those, I'd recommend either some entry level SGI machines, or, some Alphas, and if they for some reason wanted PC hardware, I'd probably tell them their best bet would be on FreeBSD, or Slackware, or SUSE. But NOT Red Hat.

Solaris 8 Network problem

Im trying to boot up the machine but it gets stuck in a loop "auto negotiation timeout" check cable. Is there any way around this?

Yes, multiple ways:

#1 - Start a thread in the Operating System forum asking about it since this thread is someone else's. I admit it's not always on topic, but you have WAY better chances of finding an answer if you start a thread with full details. Include a topic about the version of Solaris, and, make sure the thread has your hardware!

#2 - This is the answer you'd have gotten between 1969 and around ... Meh, say the early 80s; "Read the source!".... Yea, this is exactly how "The Unix Wars" started; They'd take what Ken and Dennis did, change something, copyright it, and then use vendor lock in to make sure you were stuck with whoever was closest to your needs. And they'd charge a bundle for support.

Those were the "good ol' Days of Unix" And you ONLY hear this **** from people who didn't deal with it. Anyone I've EVER met who was actually there back in the day using Unix, HATED this ****. But some jack ass on a simulator? They think it's great...

My own personal Experience with Solaris in general is VERY limited; I've installed it a few times, and LOVED it, but I never used it long enough to really get into it. Mostly because I'm one of those *******s who thinks BSD was the answer to the Unix Wars, and that no one has done **** else better. And Sun changed to System V from BSD when Solaris became their OS.

HYBR|D
    @Gore.

Instead of typing all that out you could of just moved the post into Operating systems thus creating that new thread.

Don't worry though i saved you the trouble and just done it myself.